Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   ICON & C|24 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   XMON displays as off on D-command intermittently (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=394293)

tioshi 10-11-2017 04:49 PM

XMON displays as off on D-command intermittently

I have an original D-command and XMON (the light blue one) For the last week or so my Xmon displays "off" on my D-command intermittently. The display cycles showing "Xmon on" and "xmon off" every few minutes and this seems to be happening more frequently every day. Obviously the monitor section audibly cuts out when the Xmon shows"off". I've seen some similar references to this in this forum but can't seem to find a resolution. I've tried reseating the cables and resetting the D-command several times, as the Avid website suggests...but no lasting improvement. Does anyone have any experience/idea what the next step would be???...Obviously having it serviced is a daunting option (without even considering the downtime). Was hoping there is something else I might try first. Thanks

Stig Eliassen 10-11-2017 11:10 PM

Re: XMON displays as off on D-command intermittently

I had the same experience, and Avid suggested that I replaced the PSU. You can easily do that yourself. That fixed the problem, but it only lasted for 3 weeks. I think the old PSU had caused other components to start failing as well, but I can't prove it.

Drew Mazurek 10-12-2017 05:00 AM

same thing happening here....bummer. Mine is only happening every few days as of now.

tioshi 10-18-2017 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stig Eliassen (Post 2453455)
I had the same experience, and Avid suggested that I replaced the PSU. You can easily do that yourself. That fixed the problem, but it only lasted for 3 weeks. I think the old PSU had caused other components to start failing as well, but I can't prove it.

Thanks Stig Eliassen. I have repalced PSUs on other gear...so that shouldnt be a problem. I'm curious where you sourced the replacement PSU? From Avid or Third party? Also, since it only worked for 3 weeks, did you ultimately get any resolution to the problem, i.e. replace the unit? Have it repaired? upgrade to different work-surface?
Thanks

TheFilterLab 10-18-2017 12:00 PM

Might be a long shot. But, I had some similar problems with xmon not showing up. I cleaned the serial cable connectors and that solved all of my problems.

Stig Eliassen 10-18-2017 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tioshi (Post 2454313)
Thanks Stig Eliassen. I have repalced PSUs on other gear...so that shouldnt be a problem. I'm curious where you sourced the replacement PSU? From Avid or Third party? Also, since it only worked for 3 weeks, did you ultimately get any resolution to the problem, i.e. replace the unit? Have it repaired? upgrade to different work-surface?
Thanks

I got the PSU from Avid. I don't use XMON these days, nor other solutions with similar capabilities. Got a Benchmark DAC-1 for CR level.

tioshi 10-24-2017 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheFilterLab (Post 2454401)
Might be a long shot. But, I had some similar problems with xmon not showing up. I cleaned the serial cable connectors and that solved all of my problems.

Thanks!, cleaned the contacts with alcohol .... and for the moment it seems to have done the trick. not very hopeful though going forward.

TopStudioMiami 02-04-2018 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheFilterLab (Post 2454401)

I am using a D Command Blue with the Xmon but in the monitoring section it appears as (XM OFF), I am using a standard db15 cable since the last page of the D Command guide shows the PinOut graph using the 15 pins. Some help? Thank you...

Stig Eliassen 02-05-2018 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TopStudioMiami (Post 2473434)
I am using a D Command Blue with the Xmon but in the monitoring section it appears as (XM OFF), I am using a standard db15 cable since the last page of the D Command guide shows the PinOut graph using the 15 pins. Some help? Thank you...

Welcome to the community.

Firstly; have you tried holding down the mute button on the XMON during power up? It's a reset procedure.