Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Windows (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Fix for DPI scaling issue causing additional errors (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=408463)

benromsdahl 02-12-2020 03:27 PM

Fix for DPI scaling issue causing additional errors

3 Attachment(s)
I have version 19.12 on a Win 10 system, NVIDIA GT710 graphics card.

When I attempt to fix the scaling issue in PT, the portion of waveform I highlight ends up on a different part of screen (plus the mouse cursor is tiny). Please see attachments for reference, they include my settings and a shot of the error.

Posting this is my last resort, I have been trying to solve this problem for months and my research has not led to a solution. Thanks for your help!

ChuckS 02-12-2020 04:26 PM

Re: Fix for DPI scaling issue causing additional errors

Assuming you have a high rez monitor and you were trying to make things bigger - a couple of things have changed in both PT and Win10 since Win10 arrived so you shouldn’t have to use compatibility mode and high dpi settings to fix scaling issues. Undo those settings for the PT executable and in Windows Display Settings, if you are scaling your display by a percentage other than 100%, set that to 100% and instead change Display Resolution.

benromsdahl 02-12-2020 05:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I went ahead and tried changing resolution with no scaling and PT is too small. I scaled up 125% an PT is blurry (see photo). It would be fine if anyone knew of a fix to the bug in my original post.

ChuckS 02-13-2020 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benromsdahl (Post 2553990)
I went ahead and tried changing resolution with no scaling and PT is too small.

What is your monitor's native resolution (HD,2K,4K)? Try setting a lower resolution in Display Settings that is a 1x or .5x multiple lower (i.e. if 4K set to 2K - 1920 x 1080). If scaling a percentage try 150% instead.

benromsdahl 02-13-2020 03:28 PM

Native Resolution is 4k x 2k, 3840x2160

I have now changed it to 1080p, 1920x1080 in NVIDIA control panel as well as Windows settings.

Scaling in Windows at 125%

PT is still slightly blurry, but I can live with it, unless you know a better way.

Thanks again for your help Chuck!

ChuckS 02-14-2020 06:27 AM

It's the Windows scaling that's most likely causing the blur. If you get rid of that (set it to 100%) and PT still appears too small, try further reducing the display resolution in your Nvidia control panel. It's best if you let the video card driver handle it rather than Windows scaling.

benromsdahl 02-14-2020 02:37 PM

I tried reducing display resolution in NVIDIA control panel while leaving scaling in Windows at 100% and it still didn't look much better. Maybe if I update my card in the future, but for now, I am ok with this. Thanks for the help!

GOOOTOOO 10-06-2020 11:09 PM

Did you ever find a fix for this? My issue seems to be the opposite where I want protools smaller than the normal resolution, but everything I try just messes up other things.

ejinbc 10-07-2020 07:20 AM

OP

I had been trying to run two monitors on my system at 4K - and yes things got small. I found that I could adjust the dpi scaling BUT, I had to do the scaling after I launched Pro Tools AND then return to normal scaling before I quit Pro Tools. This would keep things working OK. If I did not do this (reset scaling before quitting Pro Tools) the next time I launched Pro Tools the scaling would be all messed up. This is a Pro Tools thingy.

Maybe that helps.

ejinbc.

polyh3dron 10-27-2020 06:25 AM

This setting under the EXE file's properties should make the program usable with proper scaling active. Mind you, the mouse cursors will still be microscopic, and the GUI is still not going to look great, but it fixes the highlighting issue.

https://i.imgur.com/cy8ns3x.png