Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Elastic Audio sonic quality (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=231794)

BDWillis 11-14-2008 02:40 AM

Elastic Audio sonic quality

I've been gradually developing an opinion regarding the sonic quality of Elastic Audio. I wanted to make sure that I had used it on many different instruments, with trying all the available processing options, to confirm my initial results.

First, let me qualify my remarks by saying that I edit human performances on "real" instruments... no loops, samples, etc. EA may indeed work fine on that material.

IMHO, EA **with Digi's algo's** is great for quick & dirty fixes (i.e. demos), or to generate a visual display of where a part can be quantized to, so I can then do an old-school edit, using the EA track for visual cues if needed.

But, after repeatedly trying EVERY available processing option within PT 7.4, I've yet to find one that doesn't leave un-listenable artifacts on virtually all acoustic (and most electric) instruments I've attempted it on.

It takes about as long (or longer) for me to tweak the markers, run EA & then "clean up" the garbage in an EA processed track as it does to just slice 'n dice the way I always have. And sonically, there is simply NO comparison.

I apologize if this sounds harsh, but... Digi, are there ANY plans to incorporate third-party algorithms (Serato's would be my first preference) and thus make it usable at a pro level?!

Anyone else interested in expanding the sonic options for Elastic Audio??!

Warmest Regards,
Brian

WildHoney 11-14-2008 05:42 AM

Re: Elastic Audio sonic quality

I gotta say, I use it on vocals all the time to adjust timing/feel and even durations in the context of pop and rock stuff and unless I really try to push the boundaries (of good taste?) it sounds great. ElBass too. AcGtrs and pianos get a little trickier, but often very usable depending on the context.

GS-DK 11-14-2008 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildHoney (Post 1304668)
I gotta say, I use it on vocals all the time to adjust timing/feel and even durations in the context of pop and rock stuff and unless I really try to push the boundaries (of good taste?) it sounds great. ElBass too. AcGtrs and pianos get a little trickier, but often very usable depending on the context.

+1 - use it on a lot of acoustic stuff too.

Sometimes you get some small things (which are are able to solve) - but most of the time it's working really good. Cant's wait to have EA i PT8.....

elicious 11-14-2008 07:17 AM

Quote:

But, after repeatedly trying EVERY available processing option within PT 7.4, I've yet to find one that doesn't leave un-listenable artifacts on virtually all acoustic (and most electric) instruments I've attempted it on.
often if you drop your sensitivity down to zero you can minimize or eliminate those artifacts
e

rdolmat 11-14-2008 07:51 AM

I've had some great results on everything but acoustic guitar. Not sure why...I've tried every algo and every setting, but still... :(

some clients can't hear it though...and after asking to quantize real drums and melodyne all the vocals, I'm sure they don't even care. Most of the song is so processed already that it doesn't matter!

Rich Breen 11-14-2008 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDWillis (Post 1304651)
I apologize if this sounds harsh, but... Digi, are there ANY plans to incorporate third-party algorithms (Serato's would be my first preference) and thus make it usable at a pro level?!

Anyone else interested in expanding the sonic options for Elastic Audio??!

Warmest Regards,
Brian

Yes, EA is significantly worse than Pitch 'n Time on harmonic material (even using Xform render only option), but Pitch 'n Time is significantly *worse* on drums than the rhythmic EA algorithm. Try stretching a drum track 10% or so with Pitch 'n Time - listen to the pre-echos and phasey-ness generated, now try the same thing with EA (you may need/want to tweak the decay parameter) - much better.

EA is a terrific tool for certain kinds of things, and yes, I wish the Polyphonic algorithms would be improved.

best,
rich

BDWillis 11-14-2008 09:57 AM

[QUOTE but Pitch 'n Time is significantly *worse* on drums using the rhythmic EA algorithm. Try stretching a drum track 10% or so with Pitch 'n Time - listen to the pre-echos and phasey-ness generated, now try the same thing with EA (you may need/want to tweak the decay parameter) - much better.[/QUOTE]

Hey Rich,

You're absolutely right about PnT NOT working on drums...!! Digi's EA algorithm is indeed better for that. FWIW, I always hard cut drums, as it's the only way I can get enough control to push and pull grooves & fills to taste (feel) & tolerances (yes, 2 ms IS a long time... lol).

That said, PnT is the best I've found for acoustic guitar, grand piano & the like, and even then proper results often require stretching the sustain & decay, not across transients. And on a given instrument or voice I'll usually use 2 or even 3 different TC/E tools to maintain sonic integrity. Each one has a "sound".

The point of this thread is, I'd love it if we had some options within EA to bring it to the next level... thanks to everyone for chiming in on this.

Warmest Regards,
Brian

Vaporhead 11-14-2008 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Breen (Post 1304739)
Yes, EA is significantly worse than Pitch 'n Time on harmonic material (even using Xform render only option), but Pitch 'n Time is significantly *worse* on drums using the rhythmic EA algorithm. Try stretching a drum track 10% or so with Pitch 'n Time - listen to the pre-echos and phasey-ness generated, now try the same thing with EA (you may need/want to tweak the decay parameter) - much better.

Yah, I also agree with Rich. The pre echo's and phasey-ness are, for sure, there. And yah, it makes total sense that we should either have some options or that Digi should look into upgrading the quality of their own polyphonic algorithm.

P A M 11-14-2008 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GS-DK (Post 1304678)
+1 - use it on a lot of acoustic stuff too.

Sometimes you get some small things (which are are able to solve) - but most of the time it's working really good. Cant's wait to have EA i PT8.....

+1 I think it works great an almost all things, - sometimes you need to tweek the plug, but in general I really enjoy the creative freedom it gives me for both natural and processed sound.
I actually keep getting surprised of the results and how great they turn out.

Cheers

travista00 11-14-2008 04:04 PM

i heard from digi at a pro tools users group meeting in l.a. that pt8 has improved ea algorithms. i can't get it to sound very good on multi-tracked drums so far, and i've tried everything!