Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   AAX Plug-ins (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Mixing Foo Fighters live for iHeart Radio-virtual mix buss. (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=394301)

Drew Mazurek 10-12-2017 05:23 AM

Mixing Foo Fighters live for iHeart Radio-virtual mix buss.

4 Attachment(s)
Last night I mixed the Foo Fighters for a live broadcast for iHeart Radio. Will be mixing them again tonight although it's not being broadcast this time.

I was mixing on an SSL Axiom MT digital console (a VERY good sounding piece, perfectly suited for this application), but being a studio guy, I am used to my studio toys!! So I borrowed an Apollo 16 (since it has AES and the truck is all AES and MADI) and figured I'd use a virtual mix buss chain!! I have to say that it worked AMAZINGLY well. Typically, I would drag real analog gear for this type of thing but it's just not needed anymore. These plugs are legit. And I get the added benefit of using things like the Oxford Limiter. And of course it's all in realtime, essentially no latency which is important, especially when it needs to stay locked to pic.

BTW, gorgeous, brand new venue, Anthem in DC. Tonight is the official grand opening.

Johnny Hulst 10-12-2017 06:04 AM

Re: Mixing Foo Fighters live for iHeart Radio-virtual mix buss.

Why work alone? YOU NEED ME to assist you :D

JCBigler 10-12-2017 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek (Post 2453478)
Last night I mixed the Foo Fighters for a live broadcast for iHeart Radio. Will be mixing them again tonight although it's not being broadcast this time.

I was mixing on an SSL Axiom MT digital console (a VERY good sounding piece, perfectly suited for this application), but being a studio guy, I am used to my studio toys!!

Really? That looks more like a Yamaha Rivage PM10 to me. ;)

Also, why did you post this in the AAX Plugins forum? Maybe one of the mods should move it to GD?

thanos4 10-12-2017 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drew mazurek (Post 2453478)
last night i mixed the foo fighters for a live broadcast for iheart radio. Will be mixing them again tonight although it's not being broadcast this time.

I was mixing on an ssl axiom mt digital console (a very good sounding piece, perfectly suited for this application), but being a studio guy, i am used to my studio toys!! So i borrowed an apollo 16 (since it has aes and the truck is all aes and madi) and figured i'd use a virtual mix buss chain!! I have to say that it worked amazingly well. Typically, i would drag real analog gear for this type of thing but it's just not needed anymore. These plugs are legit. And i get the added benefit of using things like the oxford limiter. And of course it's all in realtime, essentially no latency which is important, especially when it needs to stay locked to pic.

Btw, gorgeous, brand new venue, anthem in dc. Tonight is the official grand opening.

+100000

Drew Mazurek 10-12-2017 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCBigler (Post 2453519)
Really? That looks more like a Yamaha Rivage PM10 to me. ;)

Also, why did you post this in the AAX Plugins forum? Maybe one of the mods should move it to GD?

That would be monitor world of course. :D. Look behind the laptop, that's the Axiom.

I posted in AAX because I am using AAX plugins. :D

The post seems appropriate here for this reason.

Franklyn 10-16-2017 10:34 AM

Congratulations to the job!
But the Plug Ins in your pictures are not AAX Plug Ins. They are UAD "Console" Plug Ins in this case. :)

Mixchump 10-16-2017 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franklyn (Post 2454039)
Congratulations to the job!
But the Plug Ins in your pictures are not AAX Plug Ins. They are UAD "Console" Plug Ins in this case. :)

Yes, I agree. It appears that these plugins are all running real-time on the hardware DSP-based UAD Console. Although they are all available as AAX-Native through the UAD wrapper, these particular ones look like there's no ProTools involved...

Great show though, I'm sure!!

Drew Mazurek 10-16-2017 11:31 AM

You're right of course!!! :D

Didn't even consider this distinction as I don't use Console nearly as much as I use these plugs inside of PT.

musicman691 10-16-2017 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek (Post 2453478)

I was mixing on an SSL Axiom MT digital console (a VERY good sounding piece, perfectly suited for this application), but being a studio guy, I am used to my studio toys!! So I borrowed an Apollo 16 (since it has AES and the truck is all AES and MADI) and figured I'd use a virtual mix buss chain!! I have to say that it worked AMAZINGLY well. Typically, I would drag real analog gear for this type of thing but it's just not needed anymore. These plugs are legit. And I get the added benefit of using things like the Oxford Limiter. And of course it's all in realtime, essentially no latency which is important, especially when it needs to stay locked to pic.

BTW, gorgeous, brand new venue, Anthem in DC. Tonight is the official grand opening.

Congratulations Drew - a gig I wouldn't mind having.

TOM@METRO 10-16-2017 03:08 PM

Hey Drew, Nice! :cool: