Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   'external clock choice is invalid' message (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=154082)

nplmdthfan 12-06-2005 02:29 PM

\'external clock choice is invalid\' message

First, I'd like to thank those who chimed in on my previous problem (audio clicking on the lightpipe input in mid-Novembre). Your help was invaluable, cheers for that. But now I've got another problem.

I am having a problem getting audio into my ADAT lightpipe input. Everything worked fine just a week ago, but now nothing. I am going analogue into an SM Pro Audio A-08 analogue-to-lightpipe converter. The lightpipe goes into my Digi002R. I then go to the HARDWARE SETUP. Digi002 is the only 'peripheral'. My digital input is set to 'RCA = S/PDIF, Optical = ADAT'. I then set the CLOCK SOURCE to ADAT and click 'OK'. What I get is the following:

The external clock choice is invalid. Reverting to internal.

Obviously I'm overlooking something. The sample rate matches at both the converter & PT, so that's not it. I've also changed my lightpipe cable from a cheap Hosa to a better one made by Monster, thinking I may have damaged the Hosa when I pulled it out a week ago. In fact, that's when this problem started. And, as far as I can tell, I haven't hit any 'wrong buttons' on my keyboard. Any hints out there?

Cheers,
nplmdthfan

nplmdthfan 12-06-2005 02:31 PM

re: \'external clock choice is invalid\' message

Oops... I forgot to mention that I'm running PT 6.7.

Thanks,
nplmdthfan

Paul Maunder 12-07-2005 12:51 AM

Re: re: \'external clock choice is invalid\' message

I once spent a week trying to get to the bottom of a very similar problem with my set up, only to find that the optical cable just wasn't in properly! Sounds stupid but it's sometimes the simplest things which can catch you out.

nplmdthfan 12-07-2005 05:38 AM

re: re: \'external clock choice is invalid\' message

Thanks Paul. Although I have reconnected the original cable and since replaced it, you never know. I hope that's all it is.

Cheers,
nplmdthfan

nplmdthfan 12-08-2005 12:13 PM

re: \'external clock choice is invalid\' message

Anybody seen this problem before??

modmusic 12-08-2005 09:00 PM

Re: \'external clock choice is invalid\' message

Hi There,

I am having a similar problem with my 002R and external work clock from the AD card on a Focusrite ISA428 Preamp. I can't get signal into PT Version 7 and when I Select ADAT as the clock source in Hardware setup it comes up with the Invalid Clock Source message or I just get continuous clicks and pops. It never did this on DIGI 001, it worked perfectly. I have tried every combination and have had experienced PT users have a look and they can't figure it out. THIS SHOULD WORK !!! CMON DIGIDESIGN...WHAT'S THE PROBLEM????

Regards
Modern Music Studios

thetourist 12-12-2005 12:15 PM

Hi,

I'm afraid I dont' have anything to add solution-wise, but I am having the same problem. I was receiving 8 channels of ADAT from a Tascam DM24. Everything was working fine, the DM24 was the master clock reference. All of the sudden one day, the ADAT inputs were no longer working. My tipoff was the same "External clock source invalid," message.

I have tried everything from replacing the cables to getting an external clock (apogee big ben) to replacing the external ADAT source (I'm now using an ISA 428, was upgrading my pre's anyway). Still no ADAT signals coming into the 002. I have checked the I/O setup and everything is in order. The external clock is now coming in via the SPDIF inputs to the 002, and there is no more "External clock source invalid," message. However, I still cannot record from my ADAT inputs.

I can symphathize with your issue. It is really frustrating to be down HALF of your system inputs! Has anyone come across a solution? Before seeing this post, it appeared to me that I had a hardware issue with the 002.

I'm using LE version 6.9, recently upgraded from 6.4. What I can't remember is if the ADAT inputs were ever working in version 6.9. I wasn't using ADAT much at the time, but now need the extra inputs. I'm working on finding a solution to this problem. I'll post an update if I get the problem solved. In the mean time, does anyone else have further input?

cheers,
Bob

yoursickstudio 12-12-2005 12:57 PM

same problem that occured to me
invalid clock source with ADAT selected
at one time i replaced the adat cables or unplug inplug etc... and since than it worked but now i have the same error which i need to try and fix tonight.

yoursickstudio 12-12-2005 02:08 PM

fixed it
the adat plug was not in correctly
i unplugged it and turned it 45 degrees
it doesn't sit very solid but it never did, that's why it was plugged in wrong i guess when we hooked up new gear last week

thetourist 12-21-2005 04:31 PM

Just a quick update from my end. It turns out that my ADAT cables were to blame for my ADAT inputs not working. Despite working with other gear and working with my 002 for months and not being touched, they crapped out. I replace the cable with a Live Wire ADAT cable and now everything is working fine.

Cheers,
Bob