Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Omni line-level in on front panel 1-2 (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=411363)

subwoof 08-01-2020 02:13 PM

Omni line-level in on front panel 1-2

I'm doing some analog transfers from a quarter-inch tape machine (Otari 5050B) to Pro Tools HDX through an Omni interface. I can get a signal to the TRS 1-2 inputs on the back of the Omni just fine. My question is can the combo XLR/TRS jacks on the front of the Omni labeled 1-2 be used instead? It would be much more convenient than getting in the back of the rack all the time. I've tried without success to get a line-level signal into Pro Tools from the front panel. I've tried XLR, then TRS switching the input selector to mic, then line. No luck. Am I missing something? Thank you in advance.

Darryl Ramm 08-01-2020 02:23 PM

Re: Omni line-level in on front panel 1-2

No.

You have a Omni HD Guide PDF?

JFreak 08-01-2020 03:39 PM

What he so eloquently tried to say is front panel combo is mic/instrument and cannot be used with line-level sources. Doing a quick search for a manual usually clears out this kind of confusion.

subwoof 08-01-2020 04:10 PM

Thank you for your quick reply. I'm glad I was eloquent! I actually did research in the manual before I posted but maybe I was looking for functionality in the front panel that simply was not designed in. Too bad though. It would be very handy to be able to plug in a line-level source from the front as well as a mic.

Darryl Ramm 08-01-2020 08:26 PM

I can imagine the product meeting... “we’ll put a mic and DI input on the from for convenience in the control room, and a line in on the back, to use for permanently wiring stuff in..”. arrgggg...

JFreak 08-02-2020 04:33 AM

It would be too much engineering to let end user choose if he wants to use line-level inputs from the front panel or back :rolleyes:

albee1952 08-02-2020 08:17 AM

You could always use a pair of direct boxes into the front XLR inputs, or get some inline pads. I would probably just bring all the rear connections to the front of the rack with a patchbay, or a simple panel.:o

JFreak 08-02-2020 08:22 AM

Of course, but that wasn't the point. Besides, I like to do my panels myself using quality Neutrik components so simply Omni panel would cost like a hundred, counting zero value for the work involved.

If all that the end user wants is inserting 1-2 as line-level and have a switch to toggle between line/inst levels, that apparently costs too much to engineer in as a feature.