Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2019 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Master fader on an aux signal flow? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=407730)

atticmike 12-21-2019 11:26 AM

Master fader on an aux signal flow?

Hi there,

How will the signal be routed if a master fader track is assigned to an aux? Will it be before the aux? Which means channel to master fader aux to aux?

I'd love to use it that way because then I'd get 10 more inserts on my aux without having to send it through another aux.

JFreak 12-21-2019 11:33 AM

Re: Master fader on an aux signal flow?

Master fader is assigned to OUTPUT and is always post-fader

atticmike 12-21-2019 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2548562)
Master fader is assigned to OUTPUT and is always post-fader

No I mean you can create a master fader track and assign it to an aux. I was wondering how the signal flow then is?

audio track -> master fsder assigned aux1 -> aux1?

JFreak 12-21-2019 11:44 AM

You do not understand master fader yet. Master fader is assigned to OUTPUT not aux track. Your aux track has output -say- bus98-99 and you assign master fader to output bus98-99

JFreak 12-21-2019 11:50 AM

So.. your aux track has output and whatever comes out of it comes after the aux track as logic should tell you. The unique thing about master faders is the plugins are post-fader which means if you have a limiter there lowering fader means affecting your limiter threshold

Ben Jenssen 12-21-2019 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atticmike (Post 2548559)
Hi there,
How will the signal be routed if a master fader track is assigned to an aux? Will it be before the aux? Which means channel to master fader aux to aux?
I'd love to use it that way because then I'd get 10 more inserts on my aux without having to send it through another aux.

I'm not shure I understand your question completely, but yes; no problem using an extra aux track (or as many as you want) before the output. I've been doing that forever. There are several benfits, but we can come back to that later.

Just set every track's output to a bus, and set the aux input to that bus and its ouput to the physical output.
What many are not aware of, that Janne is trying to say, is that a master track is very different in many ways; like you don't even need to have a master fader in your session at all! Your hardware ouputs are there anyway, and available to output to, even without a master fader. You really only need one if you need the inserts (which are post fader) or you want to control the output level.

So, drop the master fader, route everything to a aux track (or several in a row), no problem.

atticmike 12-21-2019 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen (Post 2548571)
I'm not shure I understand your question completely, but yes; no problem using an extra aux track (or as many as you want) before the output. I've been doing that forever. There are several benfits, but we can come back to that later.

Just set every track's output to a bus, and set the aux input to that bus and its ouput to the physical output.
What many are not aware of, that Janne is trying to say, is that a master track is very different in many ways; like you don't even need to have a master fader in your session at all! Your hardware ouputs are there anyway, and available to output to, even without a master fader. You really only need one if you need the inserts (which are post fader) or you want to control the output level.

So, drop the master fader, route everything to a aux track (or several in a row), no problem.

Yes but you can create a master fsder track and assign it to an aux, which will give you another 10 inserts to the same aux and you can easily bypass the whole thing with one click on the MFs output.

Ben Jenssen 12-21-2019 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atticmike (Post 2548572)
Yes but you can create a master fsder track and assign it to an aux, which will give you another 10 inserts to the same aux and you can easily bypass the whole thing with one click on the MFs output.

No. MFs can't be assigned to anywhere. They are faders to control physical outputs. Simple as that. What you want to do is send everything to a aux that will act as your MF, then you can set that aux's output to another aux for the additional 10 inserts, and repeat as many times you want, but the last aux will of course be set to your main output, which you can control by creating a MF for it if you want.

JFreak 12-21-2019 04:19 PM

Guys, there IS a master fader for EVERY OUTPUT, whether you have set it visible or not.

Just convenient you do not have to keep all of them visible but the mixer has a master fader for every output. Ensbling it does not consume any cpu, fader movement does not consume any cpu, it just gives you extra POST-FADER plugin slots.

Buss or physical output, does not matter. Every output has a master fader. Learn to use them

atticmike 12-22-2019 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen (Post 2548575)
No. MFs can't be assigned to anywhere. They are faders to control physical outputs. Simple as that. What you want to do is send everything to a aux that will act as your MF, then you can set that aux's output to another aux for the additional 10 inserts, and repeat as many times you want, but the last aux will of course be set to your main output, which you can control by creating a MF for it if you want.

Wrong, just as the mod said, auxes can have master faders too.