Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (http://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) (http://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   First steps with MTRX Studio (http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=409569)

SMM 04-15-2020 08:42 AM

First steps with MTRX Studio
 
First steps with MTRX Studio for those of you who speak german or just want to see how the frontpanel works in detail.

https://youtu.be/Ylff7sg_wds

corp 04-17-2020 05:34 PM

Re: First steps with MTRX Studio
 
Keep in mind that the outputs are only +18dbu.

originalscottyg 04-20-2020 09:05 AM

Re: First steps with MTRX Studio
 
Checking the "Operation Manual", which is actually fairly difficult to find, the "Line" outputs go up to +18dBu, but the "Monitor" outputs go up to +24dBu.

Since there's no dedicated physical analog I/O for "Monitor Outputs", then I think this is just a setting in DADMan? Seems like a strange way to go. Why not just make the Line Level outputs switchable between Line and Speaker level ranges, like the Omni? I am definitely considering the MTRX Studio for an upcoming Atmos room, so I am curious.

I'm not super familiar with DADMan, but could you just dedicate the outputs you want to be line outs and at +24dBu as a separate monitor profile and use those with the monitor volume all the way up if you needed to connect outboard? I guess that wouldn't allow for +24dBu hardware inserts. Also, I don't know if you can have more than one monitor profile firing at the same time, and whether this would interrupt your main monitoring.

bewk 04-20-2020 09:51 AM

Re: First steps with MTRX Studio
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by originalscottyg (Post 2562603)
Since there's no dedicated physical analog I/O for "Monitor Outputs", then...

I believe there is a stereo pair of 1/4" analog outs as dedicated monitor outs.

originalscottyg 04-20-2020 10:25 AM

Re: First steps with MTRX Studio
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bewk (Post 2562612)
I believe there is a stereo pair of 1/4" analog outs as dedicated monitor outs.

Ah, yeah, missed that. So, the DB25 Line Outs only go up to +18dBu. That's a big bummer. For my purposes, I will most likely be using the analog out for Atmos monitoring (PT->Dolby Audio Bridge->DAPS->HD Native/MTRX Studio), so I think I'll still be able to calibrate my speakers/system for proper -20dBFS reference level at the SPL I want to monitor at. But for times when I might be working on a music project and was to use outboard as inserts, this will make me rethink my gain staging a bit.

ntp-jl 04-20-2020 12:44 PM

Re: First steps with MTRX Studio
 
The manual is a little bit ambiguous regarding the analog output levels.

You can choose between two output level ranges for the line outputs (DB25 connectors):
-66 dBu to +18 dBu
or
-60 dBu to +24 dBu

So you can actually set the max. output level on the line outputs to +24 dBu.

The max. output level on the monitor output (stereo pair with two jack connectors on the back) can be set between -60 dBu and +24 dBu.

I hope that clarifies it.

originalscottyg 04-20-2020 12:56 PM

Re: First steps with MTRX Studio
 
That's great news!!! Thanks for the clarification.

corp 04-20-2020 08:36 PM

Re: First steps with MTRX Studio
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by originalscottyg (Post 2562603)
Checking the "Operation Manual", which is actually fairly difficult to find, the "Line" outputs go up to +18dBu, but the "Monitor" outputs go up to +24dBu.

Since there's no dedicated physical analog I/O for "Monitor Outputs", then I think this is just a setting in DADMan? Seems like a strange way to go. Why not just make the Line Level outputs switchable between Line and Speaker level ranges, like the Omni? I am definitely considering the MTRX Studio for an upcoming Atmos room, so I am curious.

I'm not super familiar with DADMan, but could you just dedicate the outputs you want to be line outs and at +24dBu as a separate monitor profile and use those with the monitor volume all the way up if you needed to connect outboard? I guess that wouldn't allow for +24dBu hardware inserts. Also, I don't know if you can have more than one monitor profile firing at the same time, and whether this would interrupt your main monitoring.


Wow, that's funny because I also found it difficult to locate when the MTRX and other interfaces are located on their product page. Also, it seems nobody knows how to attach a link into a post so it's posted below :rolleyes: (I find it interesting how in a previous thread people were saying that specs are no big deal......Lol)

http://resources.avid.com/SupportFil...uide_5.4.1.pdf



Where does it convey that this is switchable....? I need verification not someone just posting it present. You would think if one is getting ready to purchase a $5k unit from a company they would spend time and money to include.:rolleyes: Even the Steinberg AXR4 output is only +18dbu ......


Maximum input levelAdjustable from 9 dBu to 24 dBu in steps of 0.1 dB



Max output level LineAdjustable from –66 dBu to 18 dBu in steps of 0.1 dB

Max output level MonitorAdjustable from –60 dBu to 24 dBu in steps of 0.1 dB

ntp-jl 04-21-2020 03:18 AM

Re: First steps with MTRX Studio
 
2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by corp (Post 2562707)
Wow, that's funny because I also found it difficult to locate when the MTRX and other interfaces are located on their product page. Also, it seems nobody knows how to attach a link into a post so it's posted below :rolleyes: (I find it interesting how in a previous thread people were saying that specs are no big deal......Lol)

http://resources.avid.com/SupportFil...uide_5.4.1.pdf



Where does it convey that this is switchable....? I need verification not someone just posting it present. You would think if one is getting ready to purchase a $5k unit from a company they would spend time and money to include.:rolleyes: Even the Steinberg AXR4 output is only +18dbu ......


Maximum input levelAdjustable from 9 dBu to 24 dBu in steps of 0.1 dB



Max output level LineAdjustable from –66 dBu to 18 dBu in steps of 0.1 dB

Max output level MonitorAdjustable from –60 dBu to 24 dBu in steps of 0.1 dB

If you click on the link you have been so kind to provide and go to page 19 of the manual, you will see how you can switch between the two level settings (see attached screendump). The screendump incidentally also shows it with the +24 dBu setting chosen.

I have also attached a screendump of the output specifications. As you can see from the headline in the specifications, these specifications refer to both the monitor and line outputs. You will also notice there are three lines of specifications which refer to the max. output level (and not just the two lines you have copied). The first line simply specifis the max. output level, without mentioning whether it applies to the monitor and/or line output. If that was the only line that referred to the max. output level, then most people would assume it applies to both the monitor and the line output. However, there is also a line which refers to the line output and that shows a spec of -66 dBu to +18 dBu, which is also a correct specification if you set that output level as described on page 19. That is why I mention that the specifications in the manual are a bit ambiguous and also why I have tried to clarify it in my previous post.

I don't quite see why you mention the output level of the Steinberg AXR4. It's a totally different product so what does that have to do with the output level of the MTRX Studio? Maybe you can clarify what your point was?

Finally, I would like to point out that setting a high output level is not always a good idea. I regularly come across users who complain about distorted audio when they have a loud sound level (e.g. above -6 dBFS). That is usually because they have set the output level to +24 dBu without realising that the input of the following equipment (speaker, amplifier, processor, etc.) may clip at for example +18 dBu. So always make sure you have set the max. output level so it doesn't exceed the max. input level of the following equipment.

originalscottyg 04-21-2020 01:05 PM

Re: First steps with MTRX Studio
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by corp (Post 2562707)
Wow, that's funny because I also found it difficult to locate when the MTRX and other interfaces are located on their product page. Also, it seems nobody knows how to attach a link into a post so it's posted below :rolleyes: (I find it interesting how in a previous thread people were saying that specs are no big deal......Lol)

http://resources.avid.com/SupportFil...uide_5.4.1.pdf

I apologize for not including a link. I should have and it didn't occur to me, for some reason.

To me, the wording in the manual is a bit confusing. On page 19, is the "Gain" happening in the digital domain? Or is it changing the output headroom in the analog domain, after the DAC? Does the 6 dB setting just change the range that the fader operates? The fader seems like it is adding digital gain before the DAC and that "unity" would be with the fader at 0. Is that the case? A block diagram would actually be really helpful in understanding the signal flow inside the DADMan software.

Thank you Jan for being here and answering questions, it is much appreciated! I'm a newbie in regards to DADMan software and have never had a MTRX or MTRX Studio in my possession. But, I'm am definitely considering one for an upcoming build.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:06 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com