Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Eleven Rack (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Tube guitar preamp with eleven rack (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=407491)

dark_side 12-07-2019 08:12 PM

Tube guitar preamp with eleven rack

Is there worth of buyin additional tube preamp for eleven rack to improve the sound ?

Connecting it into fx loop and bypass amp modulation.
Does anybody made some kind of comparison between "Eleven rack amp+cab into DAW" vs "Guitar Tube Preamp+Eleven rack cab into DAW"?
Im thinking of buying Triaxis for under 500$ but does it worth it ?
Thanks for attention :rolleyes:

albee1952 12-08-2019 04:10 PM

Re: Tube guitar preamp with eleven rack

Just my personal opinion; if the Eleven Rack doesn't give you the sound you want, then its not the right hardware for you. Adding another preamp would not be something I would do. If the TRIAXIS gives you the sound you want, use that and add a proper effects processor. You could also consider the Line 6 Helix or the Kemper Profiler as both are very good units(and both benefit from many years of improving technology over the Eleven Rack, which is nearly 10 years old)

dark_side 12-08-2019 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2547068)
Just my personal opinion; if the Eleven Rack doesn't give you the sound you want, then its not the right hardware for you. Adding another preamp would not be something I would do. If the TRIAXIS gives you the sound you want, use that and add a proper effects processor. You could also consider the Line 6 Helix or the Kemper Profiler as both are very good units(and both benefit from many years of improving technology over the Eleven Rack, which is nearly 10 years old)

Thanks for reply!
Im in love with my eleven rack. But im just curious : maybe it can sound even better with external preamp?

Southsidemusic 12-08-2019 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dark_side (Post 2547081)
Thanks for reply!
Im in love with my eleven rack. But im just curious : maybe it can sound even better with external preamp?

Nope!

If you want better sound get something else like we did. Got the Kemper Profiling Amp and The Axe FX3 which both smokes the 11rack even though the 11 rack is a great piece of gear and worth a lot more than we paid (225 USD) and the kemper and Axe were 10 times that or more.

A preamp wont make the 11 sound better as it already has preamps so a few pedals with some cool effects and distortion will do a lot more for the sound than a preamp which wont change the sound enough to ve worth it unless you get a really high end piece of kit.

Darryl Ramm 12-08-2019 10:12 PM

^^^ What Chris says. Esp. the AxeFX if you are into high-gain/metal amps.

But also the sound of your Eleven Rack might just need you playing with it more. Don't just rely on presets, really play around with stuff, including gain staging from your guitar. If you describe here what you are doing, what ER rig settings you are using, guitar and pickups etc. then folks might be able to suggest stuff. The Eleven Rack is an amazingly capable box for the money. Sad to see it fade away...

DonaldR 12-11-2019 01:17 PM

Will not really work as there's no poweramp emulation in 11R.
So adding the Triaxis preamp in front of whatever amp will cascade 2 preamps, will no sound good or at least will not sound better.
Years ago, a friend of mine tried my 11R connected to my tube preamp into 4x12" Celestion G12K100 cab and he said it sounded totally insane. He used to have a Triaxis :-)