Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (http://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Virtual Instruments (http://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Replacing old drum track with new VI (http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=409267)

briaboy 04-02-2020 02:14 PM

Replacing old drum track with new VI

Hi - In Pro Tools (2020.3.0), I'm trying to replace my old drum VI with Superior Drummer. For example, I recorded a kick in the old VI, but when I insert Superior Drummer on the channel, the note triggers the hihats rather than the kick. Is there a way to change this in SD? Some kind of mapping maybe?

Thanks!
bb

rinky 04-02-2020 02:36 PM

Re: Replacing old drum track with new VI

What I do is select all your previous kick notes and transpose/drag to the note that corresponds with SD's kick.

briaboy 04-02-2020 02:42 PM

Good idea! I'll give that a go, thanks!

albee1952 04-02-2020 04:12 PM

Superior Drummer 2 or 3? Version 2 is not really built to replace sounds of recorded drums. Version 3 is pretty amazing, but you will get better results by watching some tutorials on how to do it. Its actually so capable, that it can replace individual sounds from only a drum mix, as long as its setup correctly:o

So, if you are on SD 2, I would look at a better tool for the job. SD3 is at the top of my list(but might be more $$$ than you wish to spend) but there is also Slate Trigger, Drumagog and some others that I am not familiar with.

JFreak 04-02-2020 04:19 PM

Point is the MIDI notes SD uses are different than many others, so existing grooves need to be modified by transposing MIDI accordingly. PITA but only way.

briaboy 04-02-2020 04:29 PM

Thought that might be the case...ok, wish me luck....and thanks!

DonaldM 04-03-2020 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2559768)
Point is the MIDI notes SD uses are different than many others, so existing grooves need to be modified by transposing MIDI accordingly. PITA but only way.

I had a similar issue way, way back when with my Yamaha Motif XS8. It has several drum kits and set-ups. So, I recorded the MIDI output of one of their many rhythm arps attached to one of kits. Notes were all over the place. It took me a while to realize that the Motif was using a kit with basically 72 or so different instruments in it. Not your typical set up! Once I figured that out, dragging the notes around to play the same pattern in whatever other drum machine I wanted to use (Kong, maybe? Can't recall), cleared things up!

Marsdy 04-03-2020 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2559768)

Actually no.

In Superior Drummer you can remap notes down to articulation level. What’s more it has mapping presets for many other drum VIs.

Editing MIDI is a can of worms that very often leads to an unusable mess. What if you need to transpose a note to another note that already has data? It gets messy very quickly especially when a lot of articulations are used.

JFreak 04-03-2020 05:05 PM

That sounds like a better solution

briaboy 04-04-2020 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marsdy (Post 2559957)
Actually no.

In Superior Drummer you can remap notes down to articulation level. What’s more it has mapping presets for many other drum VIs.

Editing MIDI is a can of worms that very often leads to an unusable mess. What if you need to transpose a note to another note that already has data? It gets messy very quickly especially when a lot of articulations are used.

I think I should just re-record the track, would be quicker and less messy!