Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   ProTools 10HD PE6r4i and OS 10.9.5 (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=396721)

Raoul23 01-28-2018 02:20 PM

ProTools 10HD PE6r4i and OS 10.9.5

I’m starting this new thread because reading through all the posts on here people are saying it’s working OK but I’m having nothing but trouble. I brought another SSD so I can use 10.7.5 for my projects at the moment until I get 10.9.5 working with PT on a separate SSD.

I’ve done lots of testing this weekend and I’ve found 2 main issues why ProTools keeps crashing on 10.9.5

Issue 1
The sessions open up but if I have several instances of EchoBoy in the session it will crash upon opening. If I open the session with these deactivated all is good.

Issue 2
If I click on Slate VTM (version 1.1.13) in the session it gives me a memory error in PT and then crashes.

I’m hoping someone here can really help me out if they are running a system like mine including the plugins that are crashing my rig on 10.9.5 without any issues. 10.9.5 would give my machine a new lease of life. If I could only get ProTools to be as stable on 10.9.5 as it is on 10.7.5 it would be great.

I’m running a 2x2.8 8 core Harpertown Mac with a PE6R4i expansion chassis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raoul23 01-30-2018 01:28 AM

Re: ProTools 10HD PE6r4i and OS 10.9.5

Damn no replies, lots of people on here reckon they are using 10.9.5 with pro tools 10 HD with no issues at all. I was hoping someone could chime in with my issues

crizdee 01-30-2018 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raoul23 (Post 2472165)
Damn no replies, lots of people on here reckon they are using 10.9.5 with pro tools 10 HD with no issues at all. I was hoping someone could chime in with my issues

Hi,

Theres too many variables in everyone's system. we all have different plugins, Installig it and saying its working isn't the same as running a fully loaded session with lots of plugins that were not built for or tested on the OS.

No one is going to make all your plugins compatible. I have a ton of plugins that i collected and updated over 10 years and the best system they all work on is LION i haven't had a crash for months and when i do its rarely from a plugin. Mountain Lion also works for me but i don't run on it due to other issues non PT related.

You can persue your missing of Mavericks but you might have to troubleshoot these plugins and try diffrent versions in hope you'll find the right combination. often this means reverting back to older versions as the latest versions of plugins are often too new for the OS we are using.

Thye golden rule really is to have matching OS with the plugins version built and tested for that OS.

Chris

Raoul23 01-30-2018 03:52 AM

ProTools 10HD PE6r4i and OS 10.9.5

Thanks Chris I must say Lion is absolutely a gem it’s rock solid here to and PT works really well.

Was putting the feelers out there in case some one is using VTM and doesn’t have the same issue as me and what version the have. In my Slate account the only versions available to me are 1.1.9.9 and 1.1.13.1

On the ProTools plug-in compatible list it doesn’t mention VTM only FGX, Trigger and VMR

dtmprod 01-30-2018 06:39 AM

Hi;
Have a system very similar to yours, running Mavericks. I'm able to run VTM 1.1.13 ok. But if you're having problems, try downgrading to RTAS 1.1.9.9. In my experience, not all AAX plugs work properly. If you're given an option, a lot of times the RTAS version works more consistently, especially when confronted with that pesky 'out of memory' warning.

Raoul23 01-30-2018 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtmprod (Post 2472225)
Hi;

Have a system very similar to yours, running Mavericks. I'm able to run VTM 1.1.13 ok. But if you're having problems, try downgrading to RTAS 1.1.9.9. In my experience, not all AAX plugs work properly. If you're given an option, a lot of times the RTAS version works more consistently, especially when confronted with that pesky 'out of memory' warning.

I tried to use 1.1.9.9 and it doesn’t work at all, ProTools doesn’t see it. When I load a session with VTM in PT gives the message VTM was made inactive no plugin present???.

I to have found RTAS to be more reliable than AAX plugs sometimes

Ben Jenssen 01-30-2018 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raoul23 (Post 2471846)
10.9.5 would give my machine a new lease of life.

I don't really understand why you think Mavericks would be so great. It's also really old and unsupported, like Lion.

Have you considered making the dual boot permanent? I know a lot of us find great advantages in having one boot partition for PT work, and one for everything else. With SSD's, switching between them is under a minute.

I have a 3.1 Harpertown too. I have a SSD with one partition with OSX 10.6.8 and PT10, and one with Sierra. (Sierra won't install on Harpertowns but there's an easy workaround.)

This means that the PT disk is tailored for stability and I can muck around with the Sierra part as much as I want without worrying about breaking PT. The 4 core 2.8 Harpertown runs Sierra beautifully, by the way. I really feel that my ten year old mac has been given a new life with this configuration. I expect it to last several more years.

Raoul23 01-30-2018 11:28 AM

Just need kemper Rig manager really, I’m stuck with the old version.

I’ve thought about Dual Boot but don’t think I’d gain anything from it as Rig Manager is needed when I use pro tools

Ben Jenssen 01-30-2018 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raoul23 (Post 2472320)
Just need kemper Rig manager really, I’m stuck with the old version.I’ve thought about Dual Boot but don’t think I’d gain anything from it as Rig Manager is needed when I use pro tools

I don't understand. You would just build your new sierra partition, and leave the Lion and PT disk as it is.
:confused:

Raoul23 01-30-2018 11:34 AM

Yes but I need to use Rig manager while using ProTools