Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Sound Designer II (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=46903)

Light3740 07-09-2002 10:26 PM

Sound Designer II

I used to use Sound Designer II with Pro Tools project. Now I have Digi 001 and it doesn't appear to be compatible. Is there a way around this (because the Pro Tools pitch change isn't nearly as good)?

marklee5 07-09-2002 11:06 PM

Re: Sound Designer II

I used SoundDesigner for six years and although I used it for pitch changes (I didn't have anything else) I never thought it worked all that well. And the EQ never bowled me over either. I like being able to edit waveforms within the application instead of having to go to Sound Designer, and the EQ (ChannelStrip) and pitch change (AutoTune) seem much more natural.

I really thought I was going to miss Sound Designer, but don't.

Slim Shady 07-09-2002 11:43 PM

No way around it, unless you want to get an old mac running system 8.x or earlier. The sound designer engine doesn't run on the new Mac OS's.

Chompers 07-09-2002 11:57 PM

Are you sure your not confusing pitch change with varispeed?
A varispeed will always sound more natural, but it will also effect the length.
IF you are confusing them, then use the Pro tools Pitch change and deslect the check box that says " mantain length" or something like that.
I find it hard to believ that SDII had a better pitch change.

Mark Dann 07-10-2002 12:50 AM

I use SDII EVERYDAY on modern G4's, running 9.2.2. I have an AMIII card in two G4's, they work perfectly.

Slim Shady 07-10-2002 08:46 AM

Oh, sorry, I was just going off the digi support docs.

Quote:

This SDII 2.8.2 updater and the authorization used for SDII versions 2.8, 2.8.1, and 2.8.2 requires that you boot from System 7x.... Once authorized, SD II 2.8.2 has been reported to run on either OS 7 or OS 8 systems, but was released before OS 8, and therefore was not tested on OS 8 by Digidesign. (2.8.2 may work for you on OS 8, but for easier authorization and deauthorization running OS 8, you should upgrade to SD 2.8.3)
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

DigiTechSupt 07-11-2002 07:40 AM

-Sound Designer is not compatible with Digi001 hardware. AMII, AMIII, PT Project or Disk I/O hardware is required for the Sound Designer application.

NOTE:
DSI v3.4.2 is the last version to support Sound Designer. If you use DSI v5.0 or later, you lose the ability to perform digital transfers into the app.

Brent

SoundWrangler 07-11-2002 08:21 AM

Now that PT (finally!) added support for stereo tracks, need for stereo audio editing progs like SDII is reduced somewhat more. (Espec. considering AudioSuite functions, plus the "Consolidate Selection" & "Export Selected as Files" commands (not to mention Bounce to Disk!).

That being said (& as a SoundTools/SDII old-timer who firmly believes that it was a shame when Digi dropped this program), I use Bias Peak VST all the time. It's handy for topping & tailing my bounced files from PT, checking loops, format conversions (incl. MP3), Normalizing, etc., & includes a number of decent VST plug-ins (even a multi-band comp. that works very well if used in small amounts). Download their trial version; decide for yourself if it's worth dropping the $.