Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Avid S4/S6 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   Monitoring improvements needed ! (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=371801)

marmouche 09-10-2015 10:36 AM

Monitoring improvements needed !

Hi fellows,

I’m working with the S6 on a dub stage (versioning pgm) and I’ve got a big issue regarding the monitoring section on the touch screen panel.
I have (constantly) to A/B monitor the domestic content and the local version of all my projects.

The main source of the monitoring section feeds the monitors with the local version (MnE and dubbed dialogue) and the surround source is the original version.

Here is my problems :

1st of all: I have to click on “main” to unselect the source, then, on “surround” to listen the domestic content .
Why can’t I just touch on one of my source to listen to it, like the X-OR solo mode style, and like the D controls allowed us !

2nd :

Actually, I have no other choice to use the touchscreen panel ONLY to A/B monitor my source, but we do this 1000 times per mix.

Is it possible to assign the source of the monitoring on any encoders or switch to the surface (like it was on the D-control…).

This would allows me to enjoy all the functionnalities of the touchscreen panel and to A/B monitor my different version.

Thx for your help !

priorytools 09-10-2015 01:28 PM

Re: Monitoring improvements needed !

I had the same A/B short fall when recreating old mixes in stems form.
I now have my two sources appearing on Aux channels in PT. now I just use the channel mutes.
But I concur. I think the little dome buttons below the mtm screen should be usable.

marmouche 09-10-2015 11:20 PM

Don't want to create aux, just wanna feed m'y monitors with différent sources with one click and meanwhile use touch screen panel features.

Any idea?

priorytools 09-11-2015 05:34 AM

I don't think that can be done… yes, b annoying

smurfyou 09-11-2015 06:01 AM

Step 1 - Avid needs to ditch the XMon.

EddieJones 09-21-2015 01:30 PM

This is not a XMON issue but an S6 monitoring limitation. There are 2 stories on our back log that would fix this. Euconize the sources switches so they can be used as softkeys. Plus allow different DAW/Apps Softkeys in Softkey Appsets. I can't give the exact dates though but hopefully in a couple releases time.

lucienpalmer 09-24-2015 10:11 AM

You should look into replacing the Xmon with one of the two I/O boxes from DAD. If I understand it correctly, the S6 can control it so you can switch between multiple ins and outs. It sounds like it would fit the workflow you described.

priorytools 09-24-2015 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucienpalmer (Post 2297125)
You should look into replacing the Xmon with one of the two I/O boxes from DAD. If I understand it correctly, the S6 can control it so you can switch between multiple ins and outs. It sounds like it would fit the workflow you described.

Um . nice thought . but the whole short fall of this is we need "buttons".
The DAD doesn't magically add buttons to the S6 surface.

smurfyou 09-24-2015 12:57 PM

"Eucon-izing" the source switches would be great. Also the aforementioned X-OR behavior. Having the option of multiple simultaneous sources is nice but it seems like it should default to one.

PT12 with the monitor config is a step in the right direction and would put the XMON on the way to Obsolete status. It seems switching and assignment could be done in the software, then any interface could be used for outputs and sources. So eventually the S6 knob could talk directly to PT and not to an external solution unless one required it.

marmouche 09-30-2015 03:13 AM

Thx Eddie let me know when the upgrade Will Be release for the euconize option !

Is the avid s6 v2 software compatible with pt 11 by the way ?