Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 10 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   CPU errors - need new computer? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=391261)

gonecat 05-19-2017 08:33 AM

CPU errors - need new computer?

I've got a PC with 16 gigs of great quality RAM, system drive is SSD and audio drive is another SSD. The CPU is a quad-core AMD A8-5500 at 3.6GHZ.

I'm getting CPU errors. It basically starts to give me trouble on this particular song when I add Ozone on the master bus - that seems to be the tipping point.

In the PT setup I'm using 3 cores running at 95%. (I've tried various settings including 4 cores running at 85%).

Turns out I can't overclock due to Bios restrictions.

Do I have any options besides getting a new computer?
I don't even see many options that have more than 3.6GHZ so would that even help?

Wondering what I'm missing in this picture...

jeam25 05-19-2017 08:40 AM

Re: CPU errors - need new computer?

Hi gonecat thats a good setup !

Are you running PT as administrator as suggested by Avid ? This can cause cpu spikes and errors . At least on my system does it without it . Try that .

Also are all your pluings up to date ?

Please re-check all the windows optimizations and tweaks .

albee1952 05-19-2017 01:46 PM

You seem to have it pinned to a certain session and/or Ozone, so I doubt a new computer is the solution. I would start by testing Ozone in some other sessions. If it acts up, remove and re-install the latest Ozone version(fresh download from your Izotope account). If it works okay in other sessions, the one in question maybe has some kind of file corruption. A possible solution there is to create a new(blank) session at a DIFFERENT sample rate(IOW, if the original session is 48K, make this new session 44.1K). Now import session data and check the box for SRC(sample Rate Conversion). This will re-write all the audio files, which might smooth out whatever is causing the problem.

Last thing to try: make all sends inactive and see if that allows things to run fine. If not, just re-activate. If it DOES help, re-activate one by one until you find the culprit. I had a few sessions that kept giving me errors when I would attempt to Bounce to Disk and I pinned it to a send feeding an AUX track for reverb. Replaced the bus(which I had named) with a generic bus(default number) and the issue disappeared:o

gonecat 05-20-2017 05:28 AM

Thank you both for the suggestions!

I just went through all of Avid's optimization recommendations. Also overclocked the GPU a little.

No noticeable difference.

Disabled Ozone and tried an L3 (master bus). Not as choppy but still hearing the crackles.

Those crackles are showing up when i bounce a track down (its actually recording the crackles). I had to turn off around 15 plugins for it to stop.

My CPU (native) is punching near the top.
Everything else is wayyy down in the green.

I'm having this issue on several of my heavier track-count songs. Running Ozone doesn't cause it on lower-track-count songs.

albee1952 05-20-2017 11:05 AM

FWIW, while AMD is a great "budget" option, the current crop of i7 quad and hexacores are a lot more powerful when it comes to audio:o

guitardom 05-22-2017 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonecat (Post 2431318)
I've got a PC with 16 gigs of great quality RAM, system drive is SSD and audio drive is another SSD. The CPU is a quad-core AMD A8-5500 at 3.6GHZ.

I'm getting CPU errors. It basically starts to give me trouble on this particular song when I add Ozone on the master bus - that seems to be the tipping point.

In the PT setup I'm using 3 cores running at 95%. (I've tried various settings including 4 cores running at 85%).

Turns out I can't overclock due to Bios restrictions.

Do I have any options besides getting a new computer?
I don't even see many options that have more than 3.6GHZ so would that even help?

Wondering what I'm missing in this picture...

Is your HW Buffer set at 1024?
Core speed (3.6Ghz in your case) only tells a fraction of the story.