Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools M-Powered (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   several questions (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=188884)

the 02-04-2007 12:52 PM

several questions

ok guys maybe its just me, but the interface of this software is just absurd and senseless. in auditions it took me all of a half hour to start recording. cakewalk? less. this? no no, i have to add this amount of tracks for that and this and that plug in and over there. all i want to do is mic up and play, you know, like in a studio, where they record music. this just seems so typically mac. add a hundred things in there that are useless and serve no purpose to get a result that would have taken a fraction of the time if a unix or windows programmer wrote it.

but i digress, i;ve only had this a few months and finally made my first song(emphasis on finally). there are just a few things i can't figure out.

HOW DO YOU AUTO PUNCH. its not listed anywhere. cant find it. and of course there are no help files. at least not in any sensible place. says on the website it can be done, no command i;ve found will do it.

what are the following: Music Production Toolkit; Broadband Noise Reduction LE; Hybrid 1.0.0.939; Smack! LE; and Soundreplacer. and why do they need to load every time i open pro tools? i apparently don't have a license for it, why would it even try to load? Is there any real use of any of those? What do i have to do to make those not try and load every time i open protools?

are there any help files at all? anywhere? do i need to buy a book? what's the deal? help files have come with every program ive ever had, cept this one. ive looked in every directory that didgidesign has made on my pc, no help files. anywhere. ive read the pdf's that have come with it, and tbh, the vidoes posted on digidesign's site are more helpful.

ok im done. someone that knows what they're talking aboot smack me around and make sense of it all. this is the first time in my life i;ve gotten frustrated while recording. that;s gotta come to a screechin halt.

dillon99999 02-05-2007 06:23 AM

Re: several questions

HOW DO YOU AUTO PUNCH. its not listed anywhere. cant find it. and of course there are no help files. at least not in any sensible place. says on the website it can be done, no command i;ve found will do it.

1. open the transport window
2. set the pre-roll amount if necessary (usually 1 bar is enough).
3. setup, a region (by clicking on the region bar - above the tracks, and dragging).
4. hit ctrl + spacebar.

the system should start playback at the pre-roll point; the recording will begin where the region starts; the recording will end where the region ends.

you can also set the post-roll, to have the song play for an extra amount after the record point.

spkguitar 02-05-2007 07:06 AM

Quote:

The help files are still available, just not from the menu within the program. They can be accessed in the Digidesign->Documentation folders from the Windows Start menu.

The section on "Punch Recording Audio" is located in Chapter 15.
Quote:

what are the following: Music Production Toolkit

A piece of additional software that expands the 32 voice limitation to 48 tracks
Quote:

Broadband Noise Reduction LE

A noise reduction plugin (additional add-on)
Quote:

Hybrid 1.0.0.939

A virtual instrument plugin (additional add-on)
Quote:

Smack! LE

A compressor plugin (additional add-on)
Quote:

Soundreplacer.

A plugin used for sample replacement (additional add-on)
Quote:

and why do they need to load every time i open pro tools?

Because they are installed, and like every other plugin, Pro Tools loads them at startup
Quote:

i apparently don't have a license for it, why would it even try to load?

Because you installed them. There's no other way they could be there unless you actually ran the installer OR if you don't have the licenses loaded properly on your ilok.
Quote:

Is there any real use of any of those?

Yes, they are all extremely useful pieces of software that most people purchase and install on purpose.
Quote:

What do i have to do to make those not try and load every time i open protools?

Un-install them!

Quote:

are there any help files at all? anywhere?

Mentioned above. If for some reason yours still aren't there (for instance, if you updated an older version of Pro Tools via download), then you can run the Documentation installer
Quote:

do i need to buy a book? what's the deal?

Might not be a bad idea, especially if it took you a few months to figure out how to record anything.
Quote:

ok guys maybe its just me, but the interface of this software is just absurd and senseless.

Yes, it's definitely just you.

Light Wing 02-06-2007 05:03 PM

Quote:

ok guys maybe its just me, but the interface of this software is just absurd and senseless.

Yes, it's definitely just you.

[/QUOTE]

ROFLMAO!

Now now....lets not get to the "uncalled for" point.

Patrick

spkguitar 02-06-2007 05:21 PM

Quote:

the interface of this software is just absurd and senseless.

IMHO, that was the "uncalled for" point.

What I find absurd and senseless are people who don't even take the time to read the installation instructions, let alone the actual manual.

cwsand 02-06-2007 09:45 PM

It helps if you have a basic understanding of how to run a mixing console and patch effects, and the signal flow through the board - ProTools is set up in very much the same way. I was up & running within minutes of installing. I don't claim to be an expert as there are so many things you can do with PT that I don't even need, but I think to set it up for a basic recording is fairly simple. To get the best results though, you at least need to know something about recording techniques, both analog and digital...