Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   HD Native Thunderbolt - Headphone Jack Left Side only with 5.1 output? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=401810)

jpellizzi 11-05-2018 01:18 PM

HD Native Thunderbolt - Headphone Jack Left Side only with 5.1 output?

So I just updated my edit room to 5.1 with the HD Omni interface, and it's all fantastic.... except that when I set my Main Output to 5.1 in the Hardware settings of the Omni, the HD Native Thunderbolt heaphone jack only outputs the L side or channel 1. It seems to think that Channel 2 is the center channel, even though I'm using the L R C LFE Ls Rs channel order in the Hardware tab.

The Omni headphone jack correctly outputs 1-2 to the headphones, and I thought the thunderbolt box was just supposed to mirror that? I've tried switching around the channel order, but the only way to get sound on the right ear is to pan something to the C channel in 5.1.

Anyone else have this problem or a potential solution? Otherwise I'll have to change my hardware monitoring settings every time I do a stereo session vs a 5.1 session, or just stick to the Omni headphone jack.

Thanks!

JFreak 11-07-2018 09:09 AM

Re: HD Native Thunderbolt - Headphone Jack Left Side only with 5.1 output?

The box should mirror outputs 1-2 of your first interface

s.d. finley 11-10-2018 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2504974)
The box should mirror outputs 1-2 of your first interface

which would more that likely be Left channel and Center channel. You need a stereo fold down to outs 1-2

paulo m 11-11-2018 04:31 AM

I wonder how the behaviour would be if using a MTRX, since 1/2 outs can be AES, analogue, MADI, Dante. Will it be the analogue outs that get replicated? Or indeed 1/2 regardless of protocol?

BScout 11-11-2018 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulo m (Post 2505420)
I wonder how the behaviour would be if using a MTRX, since 1/2 outs can be AES, analogue, MADI, Dante. Will it be the analogue outs that get replicated? Or indeed 1/2 regardless of protocol?

Since you assign the routing inside DADman, it will be whatever is assigned to 1/2 on the first ProTools primary connection (minidigilink.) Pro Tools only sees the connection (minidigilink) it has no idea what the box behind it is doing. The MTRX is routing a signal source to a destination. The endpoint to Pro Tools is always the same (as the destination) -- it's not changing any kind of "protocol"

If you think of the mini-digilink cable as any other audio cable, it'll be what's going down 1/2.

paulo m 11-12-2018 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BScout (Post 2505460)
Since you assign the routing inside DADman, it will be whatever is assigned to 1/2 on the first ProTools primary connection (minidigilink.) Pro Tools only sees the connection (minidigilink) it has no idea what the box behind it is doing. The MTRX is routing a signal source to a destination. The endpoint to Pro Tools is always the same (as the destination) -- it's not changing any kind of "protocol"

If you think of the mini-digilink cable as any other audio cable, it'll be what's going down 1/2.

OK, it makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.