Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 12 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Random Crashes with a new twist (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=390407)

DonaldM 04-13-2017 06:45 AM

Random Crashes with a new twist

I've had some random crashes lately, which I've already reported here. I suspect it might be the East-West Symphonic Choir module causing the issues.

Regardless, on the last crash, upon reboot, all my "Recent Projects" had been erased from the start up menu, and in the session, all my color preferences were changed (saturation off, brightness down, etc). I assume that means my preferences were somehow trashed? If so, what else that I'm not seeing right away might I need to look for?

I have no idea what would cause that to happen.

john1192 04-13-2017 09:56 AM

Re: Random Crashes with a new twist

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonaldM (Post 2424639)
I've had some random crashes lately, which I've already reported here. I suspect it might be the East-West Symphonic Choir module causing the issues.

Regardless, on the last crash, upon reboot, all my "Recent Projects" had been erased from the start up menu, and in the session, all my color preferences were changed (saturation off, brightness down, etc). I assume that means my preferences were somehow trashed? If so, what else that I'm not seeing right away might I need to look for?

i would 1st check to see if this is caused by a Plugin .. remove all the 3rd party plugins to the unused plugins folder .. might help narrow down your search for the culprit ..

cheers john

amagras 04-13-2017 10:23 AM

Is Windows becoming irresponsible during or after the crashes? Do you have to restart the computer? Are you connected to a WiFi network?

DonaldM 04-13-2017 11:14 AM

No, Windows has not been affected and I did not need to reboot my computer. I'm pretty sure it's the symphonic choir is module from East West

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

john1192 04-13-2017 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonaldM (Post 2424691)
No, Windows has not been affected and I did not need to reboot my computer. I'm pretty sure it's the symphonic choir is module from East West

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

have you tried pulling just that out for a bit and see if you still crash !!!

DonaldM 04-13-2017 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john1192 (Post 2424702)
have you tried pulling just that out for a bit and see if you still crash !!!

Not quite in that way. I have other sessions that don't have that particular VI in them and those seemed to be okay.

john1192 04-13-2017 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonaldM (Post 2424728)
Not quite in that way. I have other sessions that don't have that particular VI in them and those seemed to be okay.

so might not be an issue with the install .. only gives you grief when USING the plugin .. thats a different story ..

musicman691 04-14-2017 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonaldM (Post 2424639)

What version of the Play engine do you have? I think the latest is 5.0.1
Do you have any other EW libraries?

DonaldM 04-14-2017 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2424789)
What version of the Play engine do you have? I think the latest is 5.0.1
Do you have any other EW libraries?

Jack, I have the latest version of Play. I keep all that up to date. And I've recently updated all the libraries. Yes, I have the Composer Cloud subscription and have several of their libraries, all on a dedicated external HD, with the proper specs, connected via USB3 to PC. None of the other libraries seem to cause any issues. I've had sessions where during composing phase I've had 8 different installations of Play (1 for brass, one for woodwinds, etc), some with multiple parts, and not had any issues. It does seem to come down to the Symphonic Choirs with Wordbuilder. There have been issues reported by others, even on other DAWs with WB over on the EW forums. In any case, I'll just have to find a way to make it work.

musicman691 04-14-2017 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonaldM (Post 2424809)
Jack, I have the latest version of Play. I keep all that up to date. And I've recently updated all the libraries. Yes, I have the Composer Cloud subscription and have several of their libraries, all on a dedicated external HD, with the proper specs, connected via USB3 to PC. None of the other libraries seem to cause any issues. I've had sessions where during composing phase I've had 8 different installations of Play (1 for brass, one for woodwinds, etc), some with multiple parts, and not had any issues. It does seem to come down to the Symphonic Choirs with Wordbuilder. There have been issues reported by others, even on other DAWs with WB over on the EW forums. In any case, I'll just have to find a way to make it work.

Good to hear it's not the Play engine itself. I remember from a long time back when I used to hang out on the EW/Soundsonline forums there were issues with SC and Wordbuilder and that most of those were due to WB itself. Looks like they never fixed those issues.