Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2018 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=157)
-   -   Real time SR conversion via spdif - Avid HD IO (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=402376)

Eric Lambert 12-10-2018 04:50 PM

Real time SR conversion via spdif - Avid HD IO

My session is at 48 but an external box is fixed at 44.1 so I'm trying to convert the external box's signal on the way in. I was pretty sure that the Avid HD IOs could convert on-the-fly at the spdif inputs, however, I don't seem to know how to get that working. Selecting sample rate conversion in Hardware Setup doesn't do what I need (the signal still has the incorrect sample rate distortion).

Any ideas? Maybe it won't convert spdif on-the-fly...

Top Jimmy 12-10-2018 05:09 PM

Re: Real time SR conversion via spdif - Avid HD IO

As I recall, the real-time SRC only ever worked for inputs to the digital card, not the ones on the enclosure.

If you had an AES-Dsub cable, you might be able to use a balun to adapt the RCA to XLR. But, while this works just fine with many digital input receiver chips, I don't have first-hand experience with doing this on an Avid interface.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eric Lambert 12-10-2018 06:06 PM

Yeah, I've thought about converting to AES but was hoping I could avoid that.

Another option is to use the toslink connectors on the hardware unit and the IO, a connector type which *might* offer real-time conversion in ProTools...? Hopefully?

Top Jimmy 12-10-2018 06:40 PM

As long as the output box does ADAT optical you can apply the SRC when using the optical port on the card. Just know, the optical port on the card only does ADAT, it can't be switched to optical S/PDIF.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

albee1952 12-10-2018 06:56 PM

What is the "external box"? What are you doing with it? More info might reveal other options, like maybe record the external source to a 44.1K session, then open your 48K session and Import Session Data, and tell PT to apply SRC on import:rolleyes:

Eric Lambert 12-10-2018 07:23 PM

It's a UA OX guitar interface (a fantastic box, btw) and it can't output ADAT, only spdif. I could go analog but I'd rather not introduce another D/A and then A/D. I could convert spdif to ADAT with an adapter but that's an expensive product.

This is becoming more of a headache than I expected. My sessions will never be 44.1 -- always 48 or higher -- so something's gotta convert.

Darryl Ramm 12-10-2018 07:45 PM

S/PDIF to AES/EBU is likely the easiest path...

Eric Lambert 12-10-2018 08:40 PM

That's my thought, too. I just want to verify that the Avid HD IO will do realtime SR conversions if I connect via AES.

YYR123 12-10-2018 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top Jimmy (Post 2508938)
As I recall, the real-time SRC only ever worked for inputs to the digital card, not the ones on the enclosure.

This is true

Eric Lambert 12-10-2018 08:54 PM

I don't have the added digital IO card, so... that means I'm out of luck with the realtime conversion idea?