Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Smooth Automation writing with 002, or something else? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=200434)

Chris Nelson 07-02-2007 09:22 AM

Smooth Automation writing with 002, or something else?

Hi,

I've been thinking of picking up a used 002 mixer/work surface for the singular purpose of writing smooth automation data for complex mixing. Honestly I do not need the 8 I/O... so I'd be picking this up just for writing volume and pan automation for bounces.

I want to know if 002 mixer owners are happy with the quality and accuracy of using the console as a touch sensitive automation controller. Or would you recommend another (less pricey) work surface that may work just as well?

Would love any input here...
Thanks

Chris

albee1952 07-04-2007 05:59 PM

Re: Smooth Automation writing with 002, or something else?

A Command8 would fit the bill. I usually just use the mouse and enter manually.

jre3132 07-04-2007 06:32 PM

I have to say, though it really isn't a great piece, the faderport is really good. Its a one fader unit that allows touch volume and pan data and runs in HUI mode. The fader seems to be about as accurate as (or somewhat close) to my control 24 (maybe a little better). With the c24, when I pull the volume all the way down, it typically hits at around -139 instead of going all the way out. I then have to go in and edit the track by mouse to correct it. I don't have to do that on the fader port.

I have the faderport on my secondary rig for the exact purpose you were talking about; I just needed something for touch automation (mainly volume, and some light transport controls every now and then). I've been really happy with it. The fader is very smooth and seems to work very well. I've had it for about 7 months and haven't had any problem with it at all. No drivers to install, just plug it in, assign it in pro tools, and write/touch away.

Alphatrack is another model of the one fader units. I bought one and ended up taking it back to exchange it for the faderport. No question, Alphatrack has many more features, but I don't need it to do everything, just automation. Also, the alphatrack has (maybe had by now) an extremely long touch delay. I'd let go of the fader expecting it to go back to original volume and it would lag there for up to 2 seconds...unacceptable.

If you don't need 8 faders and don't want the price of the 8 fader models, check out the faderport. I don't use it much (because its my secondary rig), but when I do, its great.

EGS 07-04-2007 07:13 PM

Quote:

...Also, the alphatrack has (maybe had by now) an extremely long touch delay. I'd let go of the fader expecting it to go back to original volume and it would lag there for up to 2 seconds...unacceptable...

Frontier Designs has fixed this bug; only the first batch had that problem. The Alphatrack works great and is especially powerful if you put EQ3 on insert slot C - wow!!! Fader Flip is cool, too. From the Alphatrack PT Guide:

FLIP
Normally when SEND mode is selected, Send level is assigned to the right encoder. Pressing FLIP allows Send Level to be controlled by AlphaTrack’s 100mm fader and assigns Send Pan to the right encoder. Send Mute and Solo also move to the channel Mute and Solo buttons for easier access. If you have a stereo Send selected then the PAN mode button can be used to toggle between the left and right sides. Send Pre/Post fade control remains as the push function of the middle encoder.

EQ Mode
AlphaTrack’s EQ mode accesses all of the parameters of Pro Tools “EQ3” series of EQ plug-ins. To use EQ mode you must first add a 1, 4, or 7-band EQ3 into insert slot ‘C’ of the selected track. If the selected track is stereo then you must select the “Multi-mono plug-in” version of the EQ. Once configured, selecting EQ Mode will immediately present you with Q, Frequency, and Gain controls for the Low Frequency band. Turning each encoder will adjust these EQ values. Press and turn the encoders for fine adjustment.