Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 11 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Reamping help in PT 11 badly needed..... Kemper dudes needed!!! (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=387438)

TheEdster75 12-22-2016 12:39 PM

Reamping help in PT 11 badly needed..... Kemper dudes needed!!!

FYI: Sorry if this this thread is in the wrong spot. I didn't see a hardware section.

I finally ponied up for the Kemper Profiling Amp and I freaking love it!!!

I've figured out how to get it to work on a track in pro tools through the S/PDIF route. That was pretty easy. Keep in mind, I am so use to using plug-ins only, this is the real first piece of hardware I am routing like this.

Where I am completely lost is in Reamping!

I followed this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtCe-wsen3o or at least I think I did...

I set the input on the Kemper for S/PDIF Reamping, I have my S/PDIF Cable running from the Kemper S/PDIF Input to the S/PDIF connection on my Mbox Pro 3 Audio Interface. I have two connections. Tried em both.

I then set the mono-track that I wanted Reamp'd, it's input to S/PDIF left, my Output is set to Out 1-2 obviously. And nothing..... Just the sound from a dry signal.

Now when he says "make sure the audio signal that you intend to use for reamping to the audio output of the audio interface that is connected to the profilers input."

That is where I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO LOST!!! So I tried to set the output to the S/PDIF Left, no sound. Not even the dry signal.. I know I am screwing something up..

Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Barry Johns 12-22-2016 06:28 PM

Re: Reamping help in PT 11 badly needed..... Kemper dudes needed!!!

First, congrats on the Kemper, you have purchased a piece of gear that will turn out to be the best investment you've ever made.

You must purchase Michael Britt Profiles, he is the very best out there!!!!!

Make sure you have your Kemper setup in your I/O, both In and Out via SPDIF.

Create a Mono Track, record your guitar D/I VIA your AD/DA unit to this track. Lets call it Track 1. You will start with this track's output set to your studio Monitors so you can listen while you record.

After you've finished recording that, change Track 1's output to the Kemper stereo Input.

Create a new Stereo Track (Track 2), assuming you want to record the Kemper's stereo effects. Choose the Kemper as your Input on that track (Track 2). The output of Track 2 should be your studio monitors. Turn on Input Monitoring or activate record on Track 2.

Hit play if choosing Input Monitoring or Record if choosing to record, and now you should be listening to your DI that was routed out of Protools Track 1 via SPDIF, back into the input of your Kemper, then out of the Kemper via SPDIF back into Track 2's Input, which Track 2's output is in turn routed to your Studio Monitors.

FYI, I just did the above in PTHD10 and it worked flawlessly.

TheEdster75 01-07-2017 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry Johns (Post 2402825)
First, congrats on the Kemper, you have purchased a piece of gear that will turn out to be the best investment you've ever made.

You must purchase Michael Britt Profiles, he is the very best out there!!!!!

Make sure you have your Kemper setup in your I/O, both In and Out via SPDIF.

Create a Mono Track, record your guitar D/I VIA your AD/DA unit to this track. Lets call it Track 1. You will start with this track's output set to your studio Monitors so you can listen while you record.

After you've finished recording that, change Track 1's output to the Kemper stereo Input.

Create a new Stereo Track (Track 2), assuming you want to record the Kemper's stereo effects. Choose the Kemper as your Input on that track (Track 2). The output of Track 2 should be your studio monitors. Turn on Input Monitoring or activate record on Track 2.

Hit play if choosing Input Monitoring or Record if choosing to record, and now you should be listening to your DI that was routed out of Protools Track 1 via SPDIF, back into the input of your Kemper, then out of the Kemper via SPDIF back into Track 2's Input, which Track 2's output is in turn routed to your Studio Monitors.

FYI, I just did the above in PTHD10 and it worked flawlessly.

Barry, thanks for the advice, just now getting around to seeing this. Having a hard time following you and about to head out.

Had a Audio guy at GC help me with the routing so have my tracks set up like this.

Track with dry guitar signal - Input: No Input, Output: S/PDIF L
New Track - Input: S/PDIF L, Output: Output 1-2

Connection from AI to Kemper is S/PDIF Out to Kemper In and S/PDIF In to Kemper Out

Now, the Kemper itself is where I think I am having the issues. On the Kemper Input I have it set to S/PDIF ReAmp. And that's as far as I've gotten.. Are there any other settings on the Input or Output that I need to be aware of?

Sorry, I was in a rush, didn't read all of your response, I had to run, so I thought I'd get this in while I could..

Thanks!

TheEdster75 01-08-2017 12:10 PM

Here is a video I made of what I am trying to do..
http://jmp.sh/R3jRpCp

And I attached a few photos showing my Input and Output settings on my Kemper.
Input: http://jmp.sh/I9UUBao
Output: http://jmp.sh/uJs6qQE

What am I doing wrong??

Barry Johns 01-08-2017 05:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't remember changing anything, but on my Output Page, my Main Stereo is set to Main Output, where your's is set to nothing, not sure if that makes a difference.

Mine like yours also has the Master Stereo on the Right set to Spdif Output.

My guess is you don't have your Kemper setup correctly in your I/O under your Bus assignments. You should have it in all three locations.

Input
Output
Bus (See Attached Picture of my Buss I/O settings.

TheEdster75 01-08-2017 08:22 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry Johns (Post 2405802)
I don't remember changing anything, but on my Output Page, my Main Stereo is set to Main Output, where your's is set to nothing, not sure if that makes a difference.

Mine like yours also has the Master Stereo on the Right set to Spdif Output.

My guess is you don't have your Kemper setup correctly in your I/O under your Bus assignments. You should have it in all three locations.

Input
Output
Bus (See Attached Picture of my Buss I/O settings.

Yeah, I have never messed with any of that. I have attached what mine look like..

Darryl Ramm 01-08-2017 08:38 PM

I have no ode what your are doing wrong but you need to systematically carefully debug stuff. I watched the video, not really useful, just clear post screenshots if you need to.

First the Kempler only works at 44.1 kHz so you need to make sure your session is running at 44.1 kHz. Since you are already recording wet and dry signals sessions I hope that is OK. But make sure you don't accidentally have a 48kHz session.

Having the wrong session rate is a not unusual problem when folks use the Kempler. The other obvious thing to check is make sure your S/PIF cables actually cross over out to in and visa versa (again likely OK if you've been recording wet in the past). And the other common issue for beginners is folks trying to record to instrument not audio tracks. Which again you'e been able to record stuff so hopefully you are not doing that. But check

With a Kempler you must set your interface to clock from it/the S/PDIF input. (check that)

Create a simple as anything test session with two tracks (wet and dry) so you don't damage anything and just play with that.

And then in that session what can you get to work?

Can you play guitar live into the Kempler and record that on a Wet track? (great don't change anything related to that track).

Can you play the dry track into the Kempler via S/PDIF and hear that on the Kempler main output?

Then getting to reamping should be a simple step.

Are you following the reamping instructions in the Kempler manual?

Clear basic things may help, like screenshots of the playback engine dialog, and screenshots showing close up of the dry and wet tracks in your mix window clear enough to read the track IO selectors.