Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Mac Pro/HD3 boot-up problem (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=195354)

Jeff E 05-15-2007 03:32 PM

Re: Mac Pro/HD3 boot-up problem

Quote:

Odd little update:

After almost 2 weeks with NO issues on a MacPro 2.66 HD3 that was having this problem, booting just fine, we lost power today for about 20 minutes. So the machine wasn't shut down properly and the Mac Pro's power supply wasn't receiving ANY power for that time. When the power came back on and I tried to boot up, it did the thing... the annoying, bad thing... no chime, no video. It finally booted up on the 3rd try.

Our second studio (same Mac but with an HD2) booted up fine after the power outage. That machine has still never had the boot problem.

Does this shed any light on things? I'm curious to see how it behaves for the next few days. Will keep you informed...

nh

Have you ever thought about switching the sytems around? Cards and interfaces and then seeing if it still does it afer you disconnect the power? That would at least let you know if it is the CPU or the digi hardware..

Just a thought,,

I am following this because I am about to upgrade both my rooms to the Macpro 2.66 and HD..
Thanks

Jeff

JMDNYC 05-15-2007 03:45 PM

I've had two good days of starting up by unplugging the USB peripherals; I don't have a powered hub, just the computer keyboard and an Emagic AMT8, both plugged in the back. Since I can't image the keyboard is the problem, I'm going to try starting with the AMT powered down and see if that works.

JD
HD3, 2.66 Dual Mac Pro

jamieboss1 05-19-2007 01:53 PM

I'm having the same problem.. 2.66 Mac Pro, 10.4.8, Protools HD2 Accel, 6 gigs of Ram.
Help!!!

CPettigrew 05-19-2007 09:26 PM

I had the same problem when external FW drives were turned on prior to boot. Leaving the drives off (both FW800 and 400) and booting first seems to have solved my problem. I think it's some sort of weird power supply issue, depending on what you have plugged in and turned on before you boot.

Craig

Paul S-Tone 05-20-2007 12:22 AM

My 6 months old MacPro 2.66 work fine here

For now nothing of the problem mentioned there :

MacPro 2.66 , 10.4.9 , 2 gb kingston , 3 internal sata drive , HD 3 PCIe

( in the rear usb) 2 hub usb powered with 3 ilok and one sycrosoft dongle
+ usb keyboard m-audio powered from usb

(in the front usb) mc 808 and Fantom xr always usb connected

(in the rear firewire) 1 drive lacie FW 800 + 1 box enclosure FW 400 with inside 4 drive

2 monitors lcd benq FP202W .

I remember .. I had this similar problem some time , but before made the MacPro

firmware .

now work all fine for me !

Dutchmuzik 05-21-2007 08:26 AM

Here are my experiences on this.

I purchased a new Mac Pro Dual Core 3.0 Ghz about 2 weeks ago. Installed 8 GB Ram, 4 SATA drives, At this point I installed software like Mac OSX Cocktail, Disk Warrior, Stuffit, etc. Mac was running great, no problems whatsoever. Next day I installed the HD3 PCIe system, installed PT 7.3 and updated to 7.3.1cs2. So far so good, upon restart I got the black screen to hold the power button for another restart. Strange but it worked. Next morning when restarting the machine, it took me 3 or 4 times to boot. I would either get a never ending spinning fan with dark screens or a blue screen. Worked on it that day, no problems. Next morning was when it went all south, I tried booting my Mac for 4 hours, would not boot at all. I got the blinking folder screen, a circle with a line through it, never seen those before, ever. I took it to my local Apple store with everything installed, they could not get it to boot, they rebooted from an external drive and it worked, they did some troubleshooting and said it was my system drive. Since this was a brand new drive I installed myself, I was skeptical but took the Mac home. I installed a fresh drive, new OS etc etc. Booted and it seemed fine. Next morning, same thing !! Could not boot for an hour or so, really stumped me. This was a new Seagate 250 GB drive, it replaced a WD Raptor 150 GB. I used different manufacturers to rule out everything. Took the Mac Pro back and the Apple store gave me a brand new Mac Pro, nice I thought. Went home, fresh installs etc etc. Next morning, same problem on the new Mac ! Would not boot, after 5 or 6 attempts it booted.I had now waisted 4 days and was getting frustrated, the symptoms these 2 machines were having I had never seen before and if it was having problems on booting up what else could I expect in a month or so ?

Not being able to work consistently on my system was not gonna work for me. The Apple store told me the exchange was a one time courtesy exchange since the Mac worked fine without the PCIe cards in it as tested by them.

So I ordered a new Mac Pro 8 Core, I had to solve this :-)

Got the Mac on Friday, installed over the weekend and perfection !! Everything runs fast and smooth, starting on the first try, 3 mornings now, fast startups etc etc.

I now have a Mac Pro Dual Core 3.0 GHz that I will use in my LE room I guess.

There has to be something on the motherboard and PCIe slots that changed from original testing by Digidesign, to this current model. Both Mac Pro's were sent to the Apple Store on 4/17/07 from Apple, so they were the newest I could find.

Alécio Costa 05-21-2007 01:03 PM

Maybe we could have some statistics among HD Accel/MAC Pro users here, original assembly of their machines and see where and when the train "went out of the tracks." (is this expression, right?)
MY MAC Pro 2.66 arrives on June.

T-Low 05-21-2007 02:44 PM

MacPro 2,66
bought 8/2006

hope this helps ...

Tim R. 05-21-2007 05:55 PM

My system has stabalized since removing my 2 firewire drives (OWC200 and 300 gig mercury). I was having spinning beach ball when navigating finder and file browsers (in PT's, LIVE, and Reason). I ALSO have not had the grey screen boot since removing my FW drives from the equation. Just a note, one of my FW drives was LOADED with all my sample libraries (many files).

keep ya posted

Tim

Quote:

I had the same problem when external FW drives were turned on prior to boot. Leaving the drives off (both FW800 and 400) and booting first seems to have solved my problem. I think it's some sort of weird power supply issue, depending on what you have plugged in and turned on before you boot.

Craig

CPettigrew 05-21-2007 05:58 PM

Well, my drives were off, and now twice in the last three days it did not boot first time around. I retract my earlier statement.

Craig