Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2018 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=157)
-   -   Using Zoom meeting and screen sharing PT audio (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=409047)

jpriggy 03-24-2020 06:42 PM

Using Zoom meeting and screen sharing PT audio

I've been trying to use share audio from Pro Tools sessions during a Zoom meeting, but even after selecting "Share computer audio" the PT audio doesn't play through to other meeting attendees. Upon further research, I downloaded Soundflower and an App called LadioCast and got Logic and Garageband to play fine. What I/O am I maybe missing in PT? Logic having separate I/O device options in Preferences made it work. Can't alter the Playback Engine in Pro Tools like that though. Super new with this. Any suggestions?

Benny_Cha_Cha 03-24-2020 09:56 PM

Re: Using Zoom meeting and screen sharing PT audio

Buy Source-Nexus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

its2loud 03-24-2020 11:17 PM

You don’t need to buy source Nexus. Just install the free driver for it.

Once installed, create an aggregate device in Audio Midi Setup in the OS. For this aggregate device choose your interface ( make sure it’s not an avid one) and the source-nexus device. Take note of the inputs and outputs.

Launch Pro Tools and select this aggregate device as your playback engine.
Label your IO accordingly in Pro Tools and map your busses.

Send audio out of Pro Tools using a send to the Source Nexus outputs in the IO.

In Zoom, for your input device, choose Source-Nexus. The output device can be whatever you want it to be.

Frank Kruse 03-25-2020 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpriggy (Post 2558175)
I've been trying to use share audio from Pro Tools sessions during a Zoom meeting, but even after selecting "Share computer audio" the PT audio doesn't play through to other meeting attendees. Upon further research, I downloaded Soundflower and an App called LadioCast and got Logic and Garageband to play fine. What I/O am I maybe missing in PT? Logic having separate I/O device options in Preferences made it work. Can't alter the Playback Engine in Pro Tools like that though. Super new with this. Any suggestions?

We just did an 8-hour spotting session for a film with 11 people and a shared PT Video screen and stereo audio direkt from PT. Worked great.
You have to set PT playback engine to system out and then in the audio prefs of the mac to the Zoom audio engine or straight in PT, can't remember.

No need for other tools.

AE 03-25-2020 05:13 AM

if you don't need to use an interface (in particular, if you don't need to record), you can select the zoom driver for the pro tools playback engine. i used this configuration for 4 hours of classes yesterday, and it works fine. super easy to manage.

soundflower (or blackhole) plus ladiocast (or loopback) will also work, but it's likely more complex than you need. ladiocast will occasionally drop a connection, which is a minor pain. these configurations will offer more options but are not necessarily useful for you.

if you need to use your interface (for example, if recording), you can create an aggregate i/o with the zoom driver plus your interface. it's a little tricky but doable.

if you're using an HD system, source-nexus is the only solution i'm aware of.

Benoni 03-25-2020 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AE (Post 2558220)
if you don't need to use an interface (in particular, if you don't need to record), you can select the zoom driver for the pro tools playback engine. i used this configuration for 4 hours of classes yesterday, and it works fine. super easy to manage.

soundflower (or blackhole) plus ladiocast (or loopback) will also work, but it's likely more complex than you need. ladiocast will occasionally drop a connection, which is a minor pain. these configurations will offer more options but are not necessarily useful for you.

if you need to use your interface (for example, if recording), you can create an aggregate i/o with the zoom driver plus your interface. it's a little tricky but doable.

if you're using an HD system, source-nexus is the only solution i'm aware of.

Not quiet. A cheap and reliable solution is to simply run the output of your interface into a cheap USB interface line in. Set the USB interface as the source for OBS, Skype, ZOOM, whatever, and you're free to use your main interface and Pro Tools in a normal manner.

Using a second interface is usually more reliable (and freeing) than dealing with virtual cables.

But if your interface has loopback built in, that's also an easy way to do it.

The Weed 03-25-2020 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benoni (Post 2558281)
But if your interface has loopback built in, that's also an easy way to do it.

Not too many interfaces do. Audient has a small interface that does and RME's TotalMix does too. The three apps I've tested so far are Skype, Source-Connect Now and Zoom. They are all browser based and, since I don't want to use Google's Chrome, which almost all apps recommend, I'm using Microsoft's new Edge Chromium browser, which works great, with no need for extensions.

RME's TotalMix, which came with my UFX, allows me to bring my Mic in on 1 and the far end's audio in on 3/6 through my onboard soundcard. I have a Send of my audio out 5/6 in Pro Tools and that is sent to 5/6 out on the UFX, which is looped back to 5/6. In Control Panel>Sound I have Playback as my RealTek Speakers and my Record as the UFX's 5/6, which is the "microphone". Then just set those in whatever app is open in the browser. And make sure your browser has permission to use your "microphone".

Other apps that I haven't tested, but should work the same because they too work through a browser are:

Cleanfeed, Connectionopen and ipDTL.

Benoni 03-26-2020 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Weed (Post 2558324)
Not too many interfaces do. Audient has a small interface that does and RME's TotalMix does too. The three apps I've tested so far are Skype, Source-Connect Now and Zoom. They are all browser based and, since I don't want to use Google's Chrome, which almost all apps recommend, I'm using Microsoft's new Edge Chromium browser, which works great, with no need for extensions.

RME's TotalMix, which came with my UFX, allows me to bring my Mic in on 1 and the far end's audio in on 3/6 through my onboard soundcard. I have a Send of my audio out 5/6 in Pro Tools and that is sent to 5/6 out on the UFX, which is looped back to 5/6. In Control Panel>Sound I have Playback as my RealTek Speakers and my Record as the UFX's 5/6, which is the "microphone". Then just set those in whatever app is open in the browser. And make sure your browser has permission to use your "microphone".

Other apps that I haven't tested, but should work the same because they too work through a browser are:

Cleanfeed, Connectionopen and ipDTL.

Don't forget the newish PreSonus interfaces. I have an 1824c that has loopback and it's pretty awesome. The new v3 Scarletts from Focusrite also have loopback now I think. And as you mentioned the new EVOs from Audient have loopback. I have the Evo 4, but haven't got to testing the loopback function yet.

If you're on Windows a simple way is to use the free FL Studio driver. But this works best if you don't need any DAW inputs.

And there's the free Voicemeeter Potato, which I've done a full video on walking folks through it step-by-step.

But my personal preference is still using another interface or loopback.

jpriggy 03-29-2020 09:47 AM

After updating Zoom, playback engine shows “Zoom Audio Device” as an option in PT. Works like a charm. But also good to know about Loopback. Thanks everybody!

A Chapman 04-05-2020 11:07 AM

I'm trying to stream audio output of Pro Tools and a live mic to Zoom for teaching purposes. When I set the Zoom Audio Device as the playback engine in PT, I get told it doesn't support a samplerate of 44.1khz.

I've done these teaching streams with other DAWs before and used a CoreAudio Multi-Output device and soundflower (or Blackhole) to route audio simultaneously to my headphones (via my interface) and the stream. I'd also use LineIn to send the live mic to Soundflower so it goes out to the stream, and use the Audient software mixer to route the mic signal back to my headphones for monitoring. I don't seem to be able to do this with PT, as using the multi output device just gives me garbled audio.

Anyone running a setup like this at the moment? Would love to hear how you've reached a solution.

THank you!

Edit : Made a 48khz session and set PT to ZoomAudioDevice playback engine. Did a test meeting, but on the recording there's no audio from PT.

Edit 2 : Loopback was still operating in the background and intercepting the audio stream. Uninstalled it and it's working fine now, but the ZoomAudioDevice stuff sounds heavily limited. I was able to use the PT Aggregate Device to send audio to both my speakers and soundflower, and set the mic input in Zoom to that, and it works well if you've got original audio and stereo sound enabled. It's all very frustrating though.

musicman691 04-06-2020 04:17 AM

I don't use Zoom but when I saw it mentioned in the thread title I had to chime in. For those that pay attention to current news events I'm sure you've become aware that people are doing meetings online via any one of a number of methods one of which is Zoom. Turns out Zoom is a target for hackers and thieves and isn't all that secure.

Take this with whatever amount of grains of salt you want but just thought I'd pass along what I've read about this.

A Chapman 04-06-2020 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2560314)
I don't use Zoom but when I saw it mentioned in the thread title I had to chime in. For those that pay attention to current news events I'm sure you've become aware that people are doing meetings online via any one of a number of methods one of which is Zoom. Turns out Zoom is a target for hackers and thieves and isn't all that secure.

Take this with whatever amount of grains of salt you want but just thought I'd pass along what I've read about this.

It's not hackers, strictly speaking.

People google for zoom meeting URLs that have been posted in public (Twitter, Facebook etc), join the meetings and disrupt them, often with pretty vile racist content. The teaching stuff i'm doing, the meeting URLs are only shared to people who should have access to them. Of course, if they then shared publicly...

The Weed 04-06-2020 11:50 AM

Yes, the three things Zoom recommended were:

1) Require a password for meetings;
2) Only the host should be allowed to share anything;
3) Don't post a link to the meeting on Social Media.

For me, number 3) should be number one and possibly the only requirement. It's like giving out an open invitation to get hacked or posting on social media pics of the great vacation you're on. Why not just put a sign on your door, "We're away for a week, help yourself to any of our stuff".

svenster 04-14-2020 12:37 AM

Hi,

I've been trying to do the same thing, but after installing Zoom on several computers it does not show in the Audio Midi setup as a device and won't show up as a device within Pro Tools audio engine dialog.
Been trying to google this topic but can't find a solution how to make the zoom driver show up in MacOS.
I'm on an iMac with High Sierra with PT Ultimate 2018.12 and a HD Native. i just talked to a colleague with an older setup and it works fine on his.

Hoping someone here knows...

Thanks,
Sven

ssr 04-23-2020 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kruse (Post 2558206)
We just did an 8-hour spotting session for a film with 11 people and a shared PT Video screen and stereo audio direkt from PT. Worked great.
You have to set PT playback engine to system out and then in the audio prefs of the mac to the Zoom audio engine or straight in PT, can't remember.

No need for other tools.

Hi, I've been having a hard time getting this to work. I've watched many You Tube videos where people just click "Share Computer Audio" and "Computer Sound Only" in the advanced menu and boom, they get it to work.
I've never seen anyone address the Mac OS Audio Midi Setup or Sound preferences. they do it all through the Zoom Audio pref's.
I cant get it to work.
I would think that the dance teachers and music teachers using zoom are not creating an aggregate device or using Loopback, Ladiocast, OBS, Soundflower... no one has ever mentioned those things. they just click 'share computer audio' and their good to go. WTF
can someone go through their Audio Midi setup settings and Sound Pref's for me? it would be appreciated.
thanks,

BK

Rich Breen 04-24-2020 08:15 AM

Here's a pretty thorough walk through of someone's setup using aggregate devices (courtesy of Pro Tools Expert and the fine people at FinalFinal) - it's a bit complex, but gets around the issue of 48k only with Zoom. It's not how I'm doing it, but it's pretty detailed and should work.

https://bit.ly/3aGsTK9

lyricalico 04-29-2020 07:11 AM

I came here to solve my teaching problem with PT and Zoom
I see there is a fix, though it all seems so complicated!
I will have to study this thread. It's imperative for me.
Thank you everyone for posting.

Rich Breen 04-30-2020 08:36 AM

If you're on a native rig, if your session is at 48k, if all your audio sources are within Pro Tools, then it's fairly easy. Anytime any of those things is not true things get more complicated.

Personally, I have an HDX rig which feeds a CoreAudio interface (Metric Halo ULN8) digitally for monitor control and monitoring non-Pro Tools sources (itunes, talkback mic, system audio, etc).

At 48k all of this can feed Zoom no problem, at other sample rates I need to feed the ULN8 from PT analog so that system sample rate can stay at 48k for Zoom.

One caveat here; when many CoreAudio apps (like Zoom) are presented with *more* than two channels (for example, the ULN8 presents 32 outputs to CoreAudio), they just sum everything down to mono - stereo in to Zoom allows far better quality sound (assuming "original sound" is turned on in Zoom), so I need to use Loopback to to create an audio device that picks off two and only two channels from my Metric Halo CoreAudio feeds and that's what Zoom sees as its audio input. There's also a few different locations you have to go to to turn on stereo sound in Zoom: both in the app's audio prefs, but also in the meeting prefs in your account page on Zoom's website (they really make this convoluted).

All of this works, and sounds good, but is admittedly moderately complex. The aggregate device method suggested in the above linked paper would probably also work well with mixed sample rates, but is only for native systems.

best,
rich

taylor4814 04-30-2020 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2560314)

Zoom 5.0 update today with many security fixes and improvements https://zoom.us/docs/en-us/zoom-v5-0.html

Tim R. 04-30-2020 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor4814 (Post 2564041)
Zoom 5.0 update today with many security fixes and improvements https://zoom.us/docs/en-us/zoom-v5-0.html

Does anyone know if they fixed the 3rd party webcam (ie Epoccam) support in the app? I've been stuck using the browser version so I can use Epoccam.

The Weed 05-01-2020 08:33 AM

I have to use the browser version because, if I try to record in Pro Tools and use the Desktop Zoom app, it's like a sample rate mismatch, my recorded audio crackles. Yes, everything is at 48. No real problem, I uninstalled the Desktop app and use Zoom Director to immediately open Zoom in my browser when I click an invitation.

Rich Breen 05-01-2020 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim R. (Post 2564069)
Does anyone know if they fixed the 3rd party webcam (ie Epoccam) support in the app? I've been stuck using the browser version so I can use Epoccam.

EpocCam working fine with Zoom desktop app v4.6.11 here - connected via usb.

Tim R. 05-01-2020 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Breen (Post 2564107)
EpocCam working fine with Zoom desktop app v4.6.11 here - connected via usb.

4.6.19 (MacOS) was the last version to work with Epoccam.
From Kinoni support (4/23):
"Latest Zoom update for macOS breaks functionality with third-party webcams, including EpocCam. While we are working to resolve this issue as soon as possible here you could try using the previous version of Zoom" (4.6.19).

The Weed 05-02-2020 04:20 PM

Here's a tutorial about Zoom and a DAW:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qGq...fS3xlY1_r/view

taylor4814 07-18-2020 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benoni (Post 2558373)
If you're on Windows a simple way is to use the free FL Studio driver. But this works best if you don't need any DAW inputs.

This is actually working great — for the audio; any tips for getting the video share of the running Pro Tools session to stream adequately?

ebjazz 10-19-2020 08:33 PM

I have been trying to do this and have read all the replies.
Thing is, I have Windows 10. In my Playback Engine dialog, I do not get a Zoom option.
What can I do?

Benoni 10-20-2020 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebjazz (Post 2580590)
I have been trying to do this and have read all the replies.
Thing is, I have Windows 10. In my Playback Engine dialog, I do not get a Zoom option.
What can I do?

I detail many ways to do this over at benonistudio.com

My favorite is using 2 interfaces or Loopback if your interface has that.

You can also use the FL Studio driver for PT. That will play PT audio through your main Windows sound source.

Another option is Voicemeeter Banana or Potato.

Down and dirty easy way is to run a dual 1/4" to single stereo 1/8"

Plug the 1/4" into the main outputs of your interface (or alts if you have them) and plug the 1/8" into the line input (usually green port) of your computer.

Set the input of your PC as a sound source in OBS or Zoom or whatever.

https://benonistudio.com/tutorials/s...ing-tutorials/

BobbyDazzler 10-20-2020 05:39 PM

If you're on a Mac Source-Nexus is king! Any system I/O on an insert!
It's easily the plugin I miss most after going PC.

Benoni 10-21-2020 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyDazzler (Post 2580710)
If you're on a Mac Source-Nexus is king! Any system I/O on an insert!
It's easily the plugin I miss most after going PC.

Get an interface with Loopback. You can do all that without the need for other plugins. Mac or Windows.

musicman691 10-21-2020 05:28 PM

And Zoom users make sure you have the video muted or end up like a certain Mr. Toobin of CNN :eek:

Benoni 10-22-2020 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2580847)
and zoom users make sure you have the video muted or end up like a certain mr. Toobin of cnn :eek:

🤣👍

mickdallavee 11-16-2020 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpriggy (Post 2558175)

Make sure you're running your sessions at 48k

Jimmix 10-12-2021 10:22 PM

Source-Nexus is now available for Windows.

postman56 08-31-2022 10:22 AM

Any suggestions on getting Zoom audio off a Windows Laptop into my Mac D-Command?
I'm using a small USB mixer currently to send the VO's mic, but getting the conference audio back into my system seems like it's got to come into my X-mon on a Cue or an aux to het to the talents headset over channel 1& 2 which is the default on the Cue.
I'm not able to use Source Connect with Nexus, being our OS is older so I'm looking for a work around, anyone with experience?

The Weed 08-31-2022 10:55 AM

Does the laptop have a Speaker out? If so, running a stereo mini to two TRS quarter jacks and into your board may accomplish what you want.