Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   alternative to PT ??? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=51284)

nean 01-13-2003 01:12 AM

alternative to PT ???

hi guys,

samplitude has released a new version of the, best pc based audio sequencer, and it looks to me, that this will be a good alternative to pro tools le.
you got additionally full asio, vst and vsti support, and many cool other features which are really missing in pro tools le!!

so, we'll see, whats on pro tools 6.0.

at time a le user will think about the alternatives and about those troubles around the new mp g4, missing features of pro tools le, ...

make your own opinion and look out for samplitude 7 -> www.samplitude.com

cio
nean

John H 01-13-2003 04:08 AM

Re: alternative to PT ???

Why spam the mac formum with this trash ?

Do you really think this sequencer is better than protools, especially seeing as it's for windows or linux ?

Just because it supports vst and asio doesn't make it good, it just makes it reliant on 3rd party hardware with it's own drivers unlike the integrated system protools is.

Also, VST and VSTi arn't exactly 'standards' when only steinberg sequencers support them. I'm not even going to accept 'fruity loops' or various sample editors as an argument for that. no-one can run VST stuff natively with any sequencer other than cubase and nuendo unless you include older versions of logic because other companies use MAS, RTAS, TDM, Audiosuite, AudioUnits, Direct X etc...

If anything the 'standard' is going to be 'Direct X' or 'AudioUnits' in the long run, VST was just a nice idea at the time.

Kickin.da.speaker 01-13-2003 01:57 PM

Quote:

Audio Units will not be a standard... ever!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">HUH? Audio Units are ALREADY a standard! They are the OS X standard. AFAIK the only audio apps that DO run in OS X today and have been for several months already all use Audio Units as a standard for plug-ins.

Larbabe 01-13-2003 03:09 PM

Several years ago, before Pro Tools, I used Samplitude for dialog editing. Then it was owned by SEKD. Now, I understand Magix owns it (I've also seen where Emagic is offering it as well). I had problems some major problems with it. It seemed to lose some of the regions I created after about 10 minutes, even though they were saved.

I addressed this with SEKD, and later with Magix and they both sluffed it off. Fortunatly, Pro Tools for PC was introduced and I purchased it (I later switched to Mac). I really don't think they've made any improvements, but merely re-introduced the same product. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

blah 01-13-2003 03:14 PM

Well there are some very good alternatives to PT.

Hell, I'd be using 2" tape if I could afford it.

But I don't like people doing advertisements on the board like that.

fenris 01-13-2003 03:44 PM

Seems like a nice app, but I'll stick to PT on a Mac, as this forum indicates [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Out of curiosity, we had an argument at a friend's birthday party: they use Samplitude and argued with me that it was huge in Europe, used in all major studios and by George Lucas... [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] The site doesn't seem to have a "famous users" section, but my point was that most major studios would have SSL and PT for editing, probably with Logic as a front for midi...But I ramble on: who uses Samplitude?

Sorry for the lenght [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

John H 01-13-2003 04:34 PM

Quote:

Man, stick to what you know, because you don't know what your talking about when it comes to ASIO and VST. There are more programs that use ASIO than any other standard. Cubase, Nuendo, Logic Audio, Acid, Sonar, Reason, Fruity Loops, Native Intruments, Orion Pro as well as many others I can't think of.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You just proved my point listing software that at present uses ASIO because it's currently the best or the only option. I know ASIO is here to stay in windows but looking forward to a time when OS X is all I use, it's better to think of it as a dead standard when CoreAudio is going to be so much more flexible.

ASIO is very widely used at present because for quite a long time they've been more flexible and lower latency than the standard way out handling audio I/O on Macs and PCs. M-Audio have mananged under 1ms of latency with their interfaces under OS X using CoreAudio. There was a completely unbiased study a couple of years ago you can easily find on google that shows OS X has the lowest latency, even under high system load than any other OS. This was comparing a dual PIII PC to a single cpu G4 with a lower clockspeed as I remember.

As for Native Instruments or any other software synth company, they only use ASIO as 1 form of I/O. Most software can just as easily use Direct Connect, RTAS, VSTi or MAS to provide an output for the synth. It's the same with almost any software synth on the mac.

As far as Direct X and AudioUnits go, I was suggesting that seeing as they're the standard OS plug-in format and a lot of companies like Emagic or MOTU either don't support VST under OS X or never supported it in the first place that VST is only something steinberg have any real interest in on the mac platform these days.

I wasn't suggesting that digidesign were going to use audioUnits instead of RTAS etc... and I wasn't suggesting that software synth companies were going to drop support for VST in favour of coreAudio. More along the lines of add coreAudio to the support they already have while porting their synths to OS X.

Just Sticking to what I know [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

fifthcircle 01-13-2003 08:50 PM

This perhaps is the wrong forum to be addressing this in but.... Samplitude is actually an amazing program. Version 7.0 is a fantastic upgrade.

There is a lot that you can do in Samp (and Sequoia, it's big brother) that you could only dream about in PT. That being said, there is also plenty of stuff that you can't do in Samp/Sequoia that you can in PT.

The biggest thing is what is refered to as "object-based" mixing. This is a way to non-destructively apply any effect/eq/compression, level, etc... to any piece of audio. Everything is non-destructive (room simulation included), latency is compensated for plugs automatically. POW-R dither is included. Edits are not rendered and can be changed in real-time during playback (no stupid cross-fade files). It is very conservative with CPU usage (I've done 50+ channel mixes on my rig that uses a P3-866). Not to mention all the high-res stuff it will do (multi-sample rates in one EDL and multi-bit-rates in one EDL).

If you used Samplitude a couple years back, it has come a *long* way since then. As far as users, Soundworks Studio in LA (who does all of the Disney read-along books) uses Samp and Sequoia, Sterling Sound (Ted Jensen) uses Sequoia, Arf-Digital (Alan Silverman) uses Sequoia and Samplitude. There are others as well...

I have an 001 rig that I'm actually in the process of putting together right now as well. Why? because I need OpenTL support for my MX-2424... Because my film colleagues all use PT, etc... Each workstation can have a place.

Don't let Mac vs. PC decide it for you. There are plenty of good alternatives for what you need done.

I'll get off my soap-box now.

--Ben

J. Guerrero 01-14-2003 12:43 AM

Of course you won't see Audio Units in Pro Tools, cause these are plug ins, not drivers. But according to what was said at the keynote and various articles, Digidesign's DAE for OSX will use CoreAudio and CoreMIDI, so they will have to write CoreAudio drivers for the interfaces to work within OS X. So you see, CoreAudio IS now the standard Jayman. Cubase, Logic, Pro Tools, etc. support it since they wanna run their apps under OS X. No more ASIO or whatever. Audio Units are Apple's proposed standarized plug ins that are supposed to perform better than other plug in formats under OS X.