Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   What's with the flashing lights? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=23415)

ngisedigid 02-26-2002 07:16 AM

What\'s with the flashing lights?

This may be a stupid question (I know many of you won't hesitate to tell me) but
What is the use of the led's on the front of the new I/O's? Does anyone monitor with those lights instead of the protools windows? Am I just supposed to be impressed with the christmas colors or am I supposed to be monitoring the dang things?

ngisedigid 02-26-2002 11:36 AM

Re: What\'s with the flashing lights?

Guys,. I really need some help here. People are asking me "what are those lights for?" I've tried all of the following answers, but some people are not convinced:

1. "They are landing lights for alien transports."
2. "They help to tell me if I am taking enough drugs."
3. "All I know is my parole officer says I have to keep them on."
4. "Ground Effects"

Somebody, help me. They can't be a cheap marketing/eye-candy sort of gimmick, right?

carlone 02-26-2002 01:32 PM

Their input and output meters.
You can take a quick glance at them to see if you're getting signal in our out.

You should use the meters in pro tools to really adjust levels (or just calibrate and use your board if you have one).

Many people have their interfaces in a machine room or just "put away" and never look at them.

ngisedigid 02-26-2002 02:11 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by carlone:

You can take a quick glance at them to see if you're getting signal in our out.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I'm getting signal in your out, I apologize. Maybe it has something to do with those stupid lights!

There must be another reason digidesign made me spend all that coin to have flashing lights. Someone out there must know what they are for......

Shawn Simpson 02-26-2002 02:14 PM

Is there something specific you're wanting to know? They're obviously there for that exact reason. Are you wondering why Digidesign didn't have plasma meters installed on the 192 i/o?

PTLance 02-26-2002 02:18 PM

Actually Shawn, that would have been a great idea. Then it would have been worth it for them to extend the Digi cable. Can't understand why they did that if it has no meters. That's what the original bitch was about the length of the original cable. Oh well....glad I bought Durroughs..... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Mario C 02-26-2002 04:43 PM

Hey, that's why I got into this business.... All the flashing lights....

;->

ngisedigid 02-26-2002 07:02 PM

Shawn, thanks for the reply. I was just trying to lighten things up a bit, but I think it is a fair question. Does anyone really need the light show on an interface? Take away the light show, and you have real estate for more connectivity -- but what do I know? Maybe lights sell boxes.

Digital Sound Lab 02-26-2002 07:38 PM

lights do sell boxes. That is why I bought the Control 24. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Seller 02-26-2002 10:18 PM

The more flasing lights... the more girls ......everone knows that...GOOD JOB DIGI!!!!....I mean it is nothing like Vegas mode on ProControl which is the real deal.. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]