Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 12 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Bounce to disk not the same mix as record down??? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=372446)

emilano 09-27-2015 07:39 PM

Bounce to disk not the same mix as record down???

Has anyone else has the problem that the bounce to disk isn't correct? I have a session where this is definitely the case. I noticed it by ear and then did a test (inverting the bounce versus the regular mix) and they did not cancel (not even close). This is seriously not cool! Loved this feature until now...

albee1952 09-27-2015 07:48 PM

Re: Bounce to disk not the same mix as record down???

Bounce has always sounded the same here. Describe the entire chain or hardware, and exactly how you are comparing when listening. Try using the "Import after Bounce" option and bring it back into the session on a new track. Soloing this mix track in the session(with Master track plugins bypassed) is the most accurate way to compare.

Having said that, I listen to bounced files in WMP or WaveLab(with matched playback level) and my bounces sound correct:o

AlexLakis 09-27-2015 09:15 PM

Are you sure you're bouncing from the correct outputs?

Kris75 09-27-2015 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emilano (Post 2298080)
Has anyone else has the problem that the bounce to disk isn't correct? I have a session where this is definitely the case. I noticed it by ear and then did a test (inverting the bounce versus the regular mix) and they did not cancel (not even close). This is seriously not cool! Loved this feature until now...

If this came from a session made pre PT12, you need to check that multiple busses are not being routed to the same output.

This has burned me a few times and one thing that I wish could be addressed.

For instance, if you mixed in one session on a 002 in PT 10/11 and then moved to PT12 and mixed on an Mbox, your monitor path will be correct, but if you have a master fader in your session, it will act as a separate output buss and 2 separate paths will pass through to the monitor path even though only the old path will route through the master fader and the new one will route only to the hardware outputs.

I am not sure how this could even be addressed, but check to see if that is what happened.

nigelpry 09-28-2015 01:30 AM

Not necessarily saying you are wrong, or that your ears are deceiving you, but just to point out .... fm how I understand it (I could be wrong of course, that wouldn't be the first time) ....

If you have any non-linear plugins in the session ... anything from reverbs to emulations of analog circuits ... some UAD or Slate stuff, or the Waves NLS, for example, then you won't get complete cancellation.

Although they will 'sound' pretty much the same, the very nature of those non-linear elements means that they are not always the same at the same point in time, on a sample by sample basis. And if they are not the same at that level, then they won't completely canel out.

Again, not saying you are wrong, just wanted to add that into the thinkng on this topic.

emilano 09-28-2015 07:30 PM

No, I just checked it again and its quite a drastic difference. And then I did another bounce to disk and it was a far less drastic difference (but still not canceling and still not very close to canceling and still the differences can be seen even by eye in the waveform). I'm attaching a photo below.

This was a session that was originally created in PT 11 (or maybe even 10) and is now being used in 12.2. But there is no master fader as Kris75 suggests.

I do think though that its likely that this problem started occurring right when I switched to 12. Its a super simple session because its for mixing a podcast. Though there are lots of plugins on each of the dialog chains. I tried the comparison of bounce vs real time mix again while inactivating wave rider (which i thought could be the culprit though its not supposed to be active while bouncing to disk) but that didn't fix it. I must have discovered a bug here (I made sure I was bouncing from the correct chain... Mix record chain, which is the same bus of course that the real time record version used).

Here is the screenshot. Click on the photo to make it larger:
http://postimg.org/image/vbo51m8kt/

thoughts?

Wall2Wall 09-28-2015 08:04 PM

Add, route, bounce with a master fader and see if anything changes. By the waveform size it looks like either some stuff is cancelling out or not everything is being bounced. Did bounce settings change when u updated? Curious to see the solution to this.

roberts 09-28-2015 11:23 PM

zero difference here ….
modulating plugin?
Reverb plugin?

emilano 09-29-2015 04:41 PM

ok, ill try the master fader idea. i got nothing else. except maybe importing into a new pt 12 session and seeing if that helps...

emilano 09-29-2015 06:22 PM

For some reason, tonight it seems to be working much better. Visually, the waveforms look exactly the same in tonight's bounces. But still not a full cancel and still a little too much for comfort but much much better. The only thing I did differently was to make a master fader for the main outs. That seemed to make things better. But then I deleted the master fader and the bounce was still much better in the same way. So I have no clue what's going on but I've lost my faith in the bounce to disk...