Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Who here is truly a Power Pro-Tools user??? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=113647)

crs117 08-17-2004 11:17 AM

Who here is truly a Power Pro-Tools user???

Okay guys be honest here. How many of you would say that you qualify as a true Power Pro-Tools user??? This means that you use the keyboard as much as the mouse, or more (if you even use the mouse) to control pt. I have been using Pt for 4 years now and i still am a mouser. The past 2 weeks i have been working with real pros at a big time christian music label, and i just felt like a total loser watching these guys work. Something that would take me at least 10 minutes to get right these guys would to in half a minute using almost exlcusively the keyboard. I learned a lot but a lot went over my head because they went to fast and i really dont know hardly any key commands besides the basic ones.

So who here would actually consider themselves a Pt power user??? I am not but i would like to know how many people are in the same boat with me, or if i am just waaaaaay behind.

Christian

Cliffy_Boy 08-17-2004 11:27 AM

Re: Who here is truly a Power Pro-Tools user???

I use the keyboard all the time - to hold the beer. I guess that makes me a power user.

I used to use the auomatic cup holder built in to the computer, you know the thing that says CD on the edge, you press a button and it comes out or retracts, but after placing a quart on it, it broke off.

lemix 08-17-2004 11:57 AM

Quote:

I use the keyboard all the time - to hold the beer. I guess that makes me a power user.

I used to use the auomatic cup holder built in to the computer, you know the thing that says CD on the edge, you press a button and it comes out or retracts, but after placing a quart on it, it broke off.

Yes...and in such a true Cliffy_Boy fashion !

spkguitar 08-17-2004 12:01 PM

Christian,
I wouldn't consider myself a power user, but ever since I got the stickers for my keyboard I have been doing things a lot faster, and that has prompted me to learn more from the Keyboard_Shortcuts_6.4_Win.pdf

Learning those has definitely increased my efficiency in PT. Worth studying and learning, IMHO.

JMS40 08-17-2004 12:07 PM

I'm right there with you, Christian.
My keyboard use is so minimal it's embarrassing.

Actually (except for the fact that I'm poor) I'm a prime candidate for a control surface.
I spent 24 years recording in "destructive" mode (analog)before moving to Pro Tools.
My first instinct, still, is to twist a knob or touch a fader... even if I have to do it with a mouse.

FWIW, my primary keyboard shortcuts are limited to switching between Edit and Mix, opening the locater menu, choosing locations, shrinking the mixer, F12, creating and duplicating tracks/Aux's, nudging, and opening the transport.

Lots of room for improvment...

JMS40 08-17-2004 12:20 PM

You got me off the fence, Shawn.
I just ordered the stickers..

TheLP 08-17-2004 01:10 PM

I use the keyboard as much if not more then the mouse.

da BaSsTaRd! 08-17-2004 01:53 PM

i hate using the mouse.

crs117 08-17-2004 02:05 PM

Thanks for the responses so far. I wouldnt have epexcted any less from cliffy boy .

Any other tips to getting off of my mouse dependancy??? I just may order those stickers, but i really dont have 15 bucks right now. Just finished a CD and currently am paying all the expenses that go along with that.

Christian

bigbubbaj 08-17-2004 04:12 PM

They charge 10 bucks on top of the 15 for shipping. Just an FYI.