Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 10 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Customize the Bars/Beats ruler / displays ? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=325525)

Boogie Monsta 07-15-2012 07:29 AM

Customize the Bars/Beats ruler / displays ?

Hi all,

I've been a Cubase user for 10 years and I've made the switch to Pro Tools 10 a few weeks ago. So far I'm VERY happy with it :)

One thing though, the "Bars/Beats" ruler & location / selection start, end & length displays, at the top of the editing window... They kinda bother me.

I really like to nudge elements back & forth with extreme precision (sometimes just one tick) to get the groove right where I want it, it's been quite an important part of my workflow for years, and I've grown quite fond of the way Cubase displays the position of audio clips according to bars & beats : Each beat is divided into four quarters, and each quarter beat is divided into 120 ticks. So let's say you have an audio clip in Cubase starting at 1/ 1/ 3/ 21, well the equivalent in Pro Tools would be 1/ 1/ 522.

Now, I understand that in Cubase, that's 480 ticks in one beat, which is half as accurate as Pro Tools with 960 ticks per beat. But as I'm used to the Cubase way, I find the Pro Tools display misleading and unintuitive... Tell me 1/ 1/ 3/ 21, and I can instantly visualize that in my mind. But if you tell me 1/ 1/ 522, all I can tell you is it's somewhere between the 1st and the 2nd beat !!

Is there a way to customize the Pro Tools displays for Bars/Beats ruler & location ? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated ! :)

Many Thanks in advance !

gdugan 07-15-2012 05:10 PM

Re: Customize the Bars/Beats ruler / displays ?

To my knowledge, there's no way to customize the Bars/Beats display. However, you can nudge clips with great precision. See "Nudging Clips" in the Users Guide.

Tweakhead 07-15-2012 05:18 PM

Read up on "Nudge Value"

albee1952 07-16-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tweakhead (Post 1949354)
Read up on "Nudge Value"

Excellent suggestion, and also GRID values.

Pahji 07-16-2012 01:25 PM

U can nudge down to a single sample, while remaining in Bar/Beats. Read up on Nudge/Grid

jasonthurley 07-16-2012 02:19 PM

Pro Tools Nudge is THE BEST EVER! "Spot" mode is extremely useful as well (you should check that out too)

After you read up on the options and how to select them the thing I couldn't find (back in the day) was the quick keys if you dont have a numeric keypad... to nudge forward (towards start press <, to towards end > (They are to the right of the M key)

Boogie Monsta 07-18-2012 06:06 AM

AWESOME.
With pretty small nudge values, I'm getting great results, in a much more intuitive way, too !

Well that just made my day :)

Thanks for the quick keys, Jason, on my laptop (AZERTY keyboard since I'm french) it's ";" and ":".

Thank you guys so much !!

Tweakhead 07-18-2012 08:18 AM

Also, try using CTRL while nudging - it nudges the contents of a clip rather than the clip itself.

Boogie Monsta 07-18-2012 10:25 AM

Cool, thanks for the tip :)