Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Mbox Problem (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=397710)

mavfan72 03-06-2018 02:58 PM

Mbox Problem

Hello, I joined this forum as I now have a problem with my Mbox. Unfortunately I haven't used the Mbox for a little while but in the past it worked great and I could record the music I made on my guitars. Now when I plug up the Mbox to my computer all the lights go on like normal, however after 10 seconds the lights go out except for the 2 red peak lights for 1 second and all the lights are out and they stay out. My computer first beeps as it recognizes that something has been plugged into it, but that is it and Pro tools does not allow me to record anything. I am worried that the Mbox is no longer working, but I was wondering if there is anything I can do to get it to function again. This is the original Mbox, not the 2 or 3. If anyone has suggestions I will try whatever recommendation you may have. Thanks for the help!

mavfan72 03-06-2018 03:04 PM

Re: Mbox Problem

Actually an idea just came to me. I have the 1 output line connected to my amp. I just disconnected it and then tried plugging the Mbox into the PC and it started up normally and the lights did not go out. I then plugged the output line in and the Mbox stayed on. Is that normal for the Mbox to turn off if the output line is plugged in when it turns on?

64GTOBOY 03-06-2018 03:55 PM

it might be pulling too much initial current off the usb bus at startup when something is connected but no, I have never actually seen this

JoelG 03-07-2018 05:02 AM

What computer are you planning on using this with (specs please)? The original Mbox isnt particularly useful with anything even close to current: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...Guide/en365811

Last Pro Tools that would support it is 8.0.1, and the last OS is Vista (32bit) or OSX 10.5.8.

Joel

mavfan72 03-07-2018 03:34 PM

Thank you for the responses. I connect the Mbox directly to the PC's USB ports on its front, I will try the rear as well. However I also have a j5create usb hub that does the same thing. I just took a look at the support link you provided and since my Mbox is the original the latest OS version it shows it can support is Windows 7. I am trying to connect it to my Windows 10 PC. I will try my laptop as it is still running Windows 7 and will let you know the results. Thank you both for the information.

JoelG 03-08-2018 06:00 AM

If it is what is pictured in that link I posted than it is a Mbox 1st gen, which only supports up to Vista and Pro Tools LE 8.0.1. I think the drivers are included in the Pro Tools install and aren't separately installable.

Joel

mavfan72 03-08-2018 07:02 PM

Yes it is the first gen Mbox. So in other words this is really unusable as Vista is no longer supported by Windows and I have gotten rid of or installed Linux on the Vista PC's. Is there any way to get it working or is the Mbox trash?

mavfan72 03-20-2018 06:31 PM

Has anyone come up with a fix to get the Mbox to work with a Windows 10 operating system? If not is there a way to get it to work with a Linux PC?

albee1952 03-20-2018 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mavfan72 (Post 2481279)
Has anyone come up with a fix to get the Mbox to work with a Windows 10 operating system? If not is there a way to get it to work with a Linux PC?

The only thing that might work is ASIO4ALL, which is free(so you have nothing to lose). Having said that, there are a dozen modern boxes that will likely sound a lot better:o

JoelG 03-21-2018 05:44 AM

ASIO4ALL still depends on Windows at least having a driver installed for the device, it is just a wrapper.

Either you'll have to run a supported version of Windows and Pro Tools for the device, or get a newer, supported device. As for Linux, it's possible it will work, if there is a driver for it in the kernel, but doubtful. You could try installing a distribution and find out.

Joel