Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Licensing & Accounts (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   Perpetual license - what exactly stays perpetual (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=376227)

SixChurchStreet 01-02-2016 09:42 AM

Perpetual license - what exactly stays perpetual

Subject line might be unclear.

Here's a hypothetical scenario, but a very real one.

Someone buys a perpetual PT12 license with a year of upgrades and support.
Then the following year they extend the upgrade/support plan for an additional year. Then the 3rd year, they like the version they've got running and decide not to renew the update/support plan.

Do they keep the current version they are on, or does that original perpetual license they bought only apply to updates received in that first year, thus knocking the user back to the version they were at a year prior?

Drew Mazurek 01-02-2016 09:44 AM

Re: Perpetual license - what exactly stays perpetual

Quote:

Originally Posted by SixChurchStreet (Post 2324836)
Do they keep the current version they are on,

this.

Benoni 01-02-2016 09:45 AM

You stay at the version you had just before your plan expires. IE you retain all features that you received throughout the life of the plan.

SixChurchStreet 01-02-2016 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benoni (Post 2324838)
You stay at the version you had just before your plan expires. IE you retain all features that you received throughout the life of the plan.

Cool. I'm very glad to hear that. I did only a year sub this year (trying PT again after a few years away). If PT and I are getting on well, maybe I'll spring for the Perpetual next year and give myself a little more security should I decide not to upgrade at some point.

Glenjb 01-02-2016 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SixChurchStreet (Post 2324841)
Cool. I'm very glad to hear that. I did only a year sub this year (trying PT again after a few years away). If PT and I are getting on well, maybe I'll spring for the Perpetual next year and give myself a little more security should I decide not to upgrade at some point.

You should have the perpetual license now (if you got the 1 year $99 upgrade). You will get updates for one year and if you don't renew it stays wherever you're at when the year is over. If I'm not mistaken :)

SixChurchStreet 01-02-2016 10:43 AM

Perpetual license - what exactly stays perpetual

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glenjb (Post 2324851)
You should have the perpetual license now (if you got the 1 year $99 upgrade). You will get updates for one year and if you don't renew it stays wherever you're at when the year is over. If I'm not mistaken :)

I'm on the $99 teacher/Student sub actually. I didn't do an upgrade. I became a teacher last year, so this is the first time I'm eligible for that.

Looking over everything again, perhaps I should have gone with the $199 upgrade from PT10 in order to secure a perpetual license. Then I assume I could have done the teacher/Student $99 extensions after that. (Not sure if that's allowed, but I made another posting asking about that).

I don't find the options confusing, but there are different ways to go when upgrading, especially when taking the teacher/student options into consideration, and it's not always clear the best route to go.