Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Tips & Tricks (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Best way to increase tempo of percussion 1 bpm? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=404812)

tnipe 05-20-2019 01:04 AM

Best way to increase tempo of percussion 1 bpm?

I've gotten some nicely recorded tracks from a percussionist. Now I find myself wanting to increase the tempo of the whole song by 1 bpm. How would you go about it? Can elastic audio do this with no artefacts? If the audio quality of the recording is affected by it, I wont do it probably.

Thanks for your input!

amagras 05-20-2019 04:34 AM

Re: Best way to increase tempo of percussion 1 bpm?

Elastic Audio will do it just fine, only make sure to select the proper algorithm for each track.

Sardi 05-20-2019 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amagras (Post 2526466)
Elastic Audio will do it just fine, only make sure to select the proper algorithm for each track.

It will, but it won’t be artefact free. It can never be. Wether it’s noticeable is another story.

As you suggested, I would definitely do it and start with the Percussive algorithm. The fact that you’re increasing the tempo and by such a small amount is in your favour. More than likely, you won’t notice it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amagras 05-20-2019 05:33 AM

Right [emoji115], 1 bpm won't be a problem, it will be pretty much the same as using EA for quantization and usually going up has less artifacts than going...down

tnipe 05-20-2019 07:05 AM

Thanks guys, I'll give it a try.

Thiemesen 05-28-2019 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amagras (Post 2526480)
Right [emoji115], 1 bpm won't be a problem, it will be pretty much the same as using these advanced mig welders and EA for quantization and usually going up has less artifacts than going...down

What's the value that you may start running into problems at btw?

amagras 05-28-2019 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thiemesen (Post 2527496)
What's the value that you may start running into problems at btw?

Depends on the resolution of the session, the content of the track, your luck... You have to experiment and listen in isolation

DonaldM 05-29-2019 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sardi (Post 2526479)
It will, but it won’t be artefact free. It can never be. Wether it’s noticeable is another story.

As you suggested, I would definitely do it and start with the Percussive algorithm. The fact that you’re increasing the tempo and by such a small amount is in your favour. More than likely, you won’t notice it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, if elastic audio creates an artifact, and no one can hear it, does the artifact exist? (A variation of "if a tree falls in a forest...):D

albee1952 05-29-2019 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonaldM (Post 2527702)
So, if elastic audio creates an artifact, and no one can hear it, does the artifact exist? (A variation of "if a tree falls in a forest...):D

Or, if a man says something and no women are around, is he still wrong?:p:p

I agree that EA SHOULD work.....

Steps:
1-Place all audio tracks in TICKS mode.
2-Enable EA on each track, using the appropriate version for each track(Rhythmic for drums/percussion, Monophonic for Bass and vocals, Polyphonic for guitars and keyboards(not midi stuff), etc.
3-Change the tempo to your desired and watch the tracks(EDIT window) and they SHOULD visually change to reflect the new tempo(midi and Instrument tracks are in TICKS mode by default, so those should change tempo without and extra work.
4-If it DOES sound bad(due to EA artifacts, you can always close the session WITHOUT saving(reopen and try something else).
5-Get the demo of Serato Pitch 'n Time Pro and use it in AUDIOSUITE mode and render audio to the desired BPM(Serato PnT is expensive to buy, but its one of the absolute best options for tempo and pitch change with the least artifacts