Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 12 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Are Busses at the App or Session level? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=369012)

midnightrambler 06-25-2015 06:07 AM

Re: Are Busses at the App or Session level?

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2270806)
After all, every buss means summing and the less summing you do the more open sound you will get.

What a load of baloney. This sort of misinformation doesn't do anyone any good.

JFreak 06-25-2015 10:05 AM

You can always try it yourself, don't believe me. My own experience has shown that less bussing I use the more open sound I get.

YYR123 06-25-2015 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShiftStudios (Post 2270701)
I use 14-20 in an average session.

Bass, Drums, Guitar, Vox, BGV, Piano, Reverbs, Parallel Comps. They all add up! ;)

Yep counting stems, it's easily 15+, you know I have VCA ability with my license but I always have used AUX's.......

midnightrambler 06-25-2015 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2271710)
You can always try it yourself, don't believe me. My own experience has shown that less bussing I use the more open sound I get.

Mate, just print a version with just 1 buss, and then print another and use, I don't know, 100 busses or something, assigning different instruments to different busses - then see if the two mixes phase cancel. I GUARANTEE you they will, as long as you're not using any extra processing on the busses (including HEAT), or overloading them.

What you say makes sense on an analogue console - more bits of wire to go through - but in the digital realm it makes no sense at all as it's just maths...i.e. 2+2 is 4, but so is 1+1+1+1.

O.G. Killa 06-25-2015 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deafguy (Post 2270688)
Just curious, what do you do with all those busses? I have a hard time using up 8 or 10 in a normal session. spill the beans!

I guess I'm not the norm, since i mix a lot of music for TV and Film... but for a stereo mix I have about 216 busses going. For a surround sound mix It's way more thank that!

The great thing about using Pro Tools is you have flexibility to work however you need to.

I could go into my bus layout if that would interest anyone, but I'd probably put you all to sleep! LOL

b1daly 06-25-2015 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.G. Killa (Post 2271772)

I could go into my bus layout if that would interest anyone, but I'd probably put you all to sleep! LOL

I, for one, find this subject fascinating if you feel like sharing:)

Barry Johns 06-25-2015 06:58 PM

Quote:

This could be tied to overloading some busses or a Master Fader, I doubt that simply the use of busses alone has any effect. At least none i have ever encountered.

Could be wrong I guess.

deanrichard 06-25-2015 10:19 PM

???? Are you absolutely certain? Placebo effect is very strong, and I will be the first to admit I've fooled myself more than once.

The summing is at least 24-bit floating point, might even be 48-bit (not sure how they do it), and only the least significant bit would lose resolution. Can you really hear the loss of one bit in 24-bit audio? Or 48-bit ???

Quote:

ShiftStudios 06-26-2015 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deanrichard (Post 2271868)
???? Are you absolutely certain? Placebo effect is very strong, and I will be the first to admit I've fooled myself more than once.

The summing is at least 24-bit floating point, might even be 48-bit (not sure how they do it), and only the least significant bit would lose resolution. Can you really hear the loss of one bit in 24-bit audio? Or 48-bit ???

In a mix context, if you can hear the difference between one buss and ten in a mix that was done strictly ITB on a 1-1 mix, then I think you best go down and insure your ears, for they surely are the most extraordinary things on this planet to be able to hear things that do not exist. Market those babies and make a mint!

I'm not saying the different decisions you make based upon how you choose to use Aux Busses won't change the overall sound of your mix. I'm saying, on a 1-1 mix the number of Aux Busses you use are truly and completely irrelevant. I separate my mixes into song segments using Aux Busses for organisation. Outside of that, whether I mixed through busses or not, my mix result would be the same. Clipping an Aux Buss or clipping the Main Out are at the same level, regardless of how many extra Aux Busses you have.

There is a reason that Gain staging is so important...

deanrichard 06-26-2015 01:31 AM

As I understand it, now that PT is floating point, none of the internal audio should clip. Only at the output when sent to the D/A converter. Am I misunderstanding that?

The old days of fixed point audio are gone. Alleluia.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShiftStudios (Post 2271874)
In a mix context, if you can hear the difference between one buss and ten in a mix that was done strictly ITB on a 1-1 mix, then I think you best go down and insure your ears, for they surely are the most extraordinary things on this planet to be able to hear things that do not exist. Market those babies and make a mint!

I'm not saying the different decisions you make based upon how you choose to use Aux Busses won't change the overall sound of your mix. I'm saying, on a 1-1 mix the number of Aux Busses you use are truly and completely irrelevant. I separate my mixes into song segments using Aux Busses for organisation. Outside of that, whether I mixed through busses or not, my mix result would be the same. Clipping an Aux Buss or clipping the Main Out are at the same level, regardless of how many extra Aux Busses you have.

There is a reason that Gain staging is so important...