Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Let's hear your latest stuff....right here (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=60365)

SDLoser 07-06-2005 01:28 PM

Re: Let\'s hear your latest stuff....right here

www.myspace.com/tphat

Here's some stuff my "band" recorded. The first one is a demo, the second is the latest real recording, the third is an old project I did with Sonar and regular sound cards, and the fourth is still in progress. The band was started as a joke, and thus my horrible drumming. I should make jokes that require my spending less money.

hymns 07-06-2005 07:24 PM

Re: New music

I really enjoyed your songs. The quality of the recording is very high, the vocalist is better then most in the genre. In the verses for "Cowboy" I would record an addition guitar, panned far in one of the channels, because it sounds a little empty. "Dreamer , Inc" has a lot of cool riffs in it, it's kind of like "R'n'B gone Emo". Only suggestion for that song is I think the snare could use a little more pop. "Craig's House" reminded me of a down-tempo Kasabian song...there isn't much else to say about it. "Keep Your Friends Close" sounds quieter then the other tracks, crank it up and I think it could be the best song in the lot...would be fun to hear live.

IntelDoc 07-07-2005 05:31 AM

Still working this one. Should have a bass line to it tonight. Some cutting still to do, but I dig it so far. Jack Johnson like in a way. Added the electric guitar parts. Will add one more section.

Guitar was API pre - 1176 and APEX 435's.
Electric was - SM-57 - Fender Prosonic and Bogner cab
Vocal chain was APEX 460 - 1272 - 1176 as well as a SM-7B - X73i - Distressor

Good times...

BEautiful

Bass line will help it out some I think.

- Doc

RSSstudio 07-07-2005 08:13 AM

Quote:

I really enjoyed your songs. The quality of the recording is very high, the vocalist is better then most in the genre. In the verses for "Cowboy" I would record an addition guitar, panned far in one of the channels, because it sounds a little empty. "Dreamer , Inc" has a lot of cool riffs in it, it's kind of like "R'n'B gone Emo". Only suggestion for that song is I think the snare could use a little more pop. "Craig's House" reminded me of a down-tempo Kasabian song...there isn't much else to say about it. "Keep Your Friends Close" sounds quieter then the other tracks, crank it up and I think it could be the best song in the lot...would be fun to hear live.

Thanks! I agree with all the things you brought up. I did everything I could think of to help the Verses of that Cowboy song, but I think the performance of the riff just wasn't confident enough to make it jump out. The guys were kinda inexperienced in the studio, so some riffs had a little trouble because I wouldn't let them crank their gain to 11 to compensate for things sounding weak. That part, believe it or not, is actually 2 rhythm guitars, 2 leads (all doubles of each other), and the 2nd part of the 1st verse has a real Rhodes piano behind it. Oh well. After they recorded it, i brushed it off as good enough. Then while mixing wanted to kick my own ass, because it definately sounds empty, even with all that going on.

ANd that Dreamers song, the drums are actually a rough bounce I did right after I finished editing, before we even moved to guitars. I didnt have time to mix that song, so that's 110% rough mix, expecially the drums. I made the drum bounce just to save track space to move on. Im fighting the urge to go backwards and remix things, haha...it's just bad news, i know it. I'll be there for hours!

Thanks again for listening.

Straatocastoer 07-07-2005 11:41 AM

Hey there everyone ... long time no post! It is summertime, and I am running up and down the east coast like a madman, but back in town long enough to work on this 4 song project for a local folk band. I had posted the preliminary instrumental tracks a little while ago, and here are the preliminary final mixes with vocals and some faux mastering going on.

"Summertime"
"Wait a Minute"
"Andrea Gale"
"Angel From Montgomery"

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to listen and give me your criticism. The guitars were recorded using a single SM81 into a Great River MP-2NV, the mandolin was an AKG C414-XLS into an API 3124. Female vocal was a TLM-103 into the API, and the male vocals were the 414s into the API. I tried to keep the recording simple to fit the style of the music and their approach to the project.

IntelDoc 07-07-2005 11:50 AM

Stan,
Hey buddy. Sounds great! Guitars are nice and bright. Interesting songs for sure. Very bluegrass. Hope that you can get back down sometime to hang out.

Vocals are nice and up front. clean!

Way cool... BTW the API showed up and is racked up. AWESOME! Hate ya for bringing your over, but awesome!

- Doc

Straatocastoer 07-07-2005 12:29 PM

Thanks for the kind words, Chris. The more I have listened to "Summertime" and "Wait a Minute" I think I need to bring his lead vocal up a bit (just a db or so). I also have come to think that I probably need to tweak the low mids and the bottom some -- it sounds like the recording is on the verge of being boomy on some small speaker systems. Also, there is a bass guitar in "Andrea Gale" and "Angel From Montgomery", and it has seemed nearly nonexistant on some of my tests.

Once I am in the area long enough to shake the dust from my shoes, I'd love to get back down to your place and hang again -- or maybe have you trek up to the foothills of Frederick and hang out here at CrossFire. I had a lot of fun last time, although I did leave out of there with a serious case of equipment envy. I saw your invitation to come down when you had some other DUCers in town, but I was on my way back to North Carolina by then.

I am glad that you took the plunge with the API. If I had my way, I think I would have 12-16 input channels of API for the studio and call it a day. I just love what that thing does for a microphone.

I have finally been able to go back and listen to what you have been posting, and per your usual, everything is sounding so nice. It is great to hear what a good, high quality recording you are getting with those Apex mics. I dare say that everyone is taking note of what you are cranking out of TBR. Of course, the effort you put into tuning your recording environment, the time you have invested in training your ears, and having a couple racks full of awesome gear helps a bit, right??

Added as an afterthought: Every time I listen to "Andrea Gale" I crack up at the line "the hull must be filling with swordfish ... her man's take will surely be good" because when he was performing it I swear I thought he said "her mansteak will surely be good". MMMMmmmmm -- mansteak!

surely 07-07-2005 03:01 PM

ok, what about the sound of this guitar?
is it "not done" today?
headache
any other comments are welcom too...
(still have to sing over this one... I`m a lazy singer... )

superpenguin79 07-07-2005 03:33 PM

Stan: sounds good man! I honestly prefer the instrumental versions from way back opposed to the ones with vox (just caus I dig instrumentals actually ) but sounds like you did them up good man! good to hear from you again man

surely: the guitar sound on that one its self is pretty good, but I might suggest bringing it up a tad in the mix so to speak. the playing is good to go with the sound also. good job!

Straatocastoer 07-07-2005 04:46 PM

Charlie ... I'm with you man. I really like the songs as instrumentals, and I think they can really play. Thank you for the kind words.