Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2018 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=157)
-   -   Input Monitoring Workflow Question (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=402683)

DBboy 12-29-2018 04:31 PM

Input Monitoring Workflow Question

Is there a way to disable input monitoring completely in PT Ultimate? LLM isn't an option as it disables any plugins on the record armed track. I see an option to disable input when the transport is stopped but as soon as the track goes into rec/play (ie: punching in) the track goes back into input monitoring. I am using an Apollo interface and monitor input through that. Thanks!

BScout 12-29-2018 06:11 PM

Re: Input Monitoring Workflow Question

Don't have the "I" turned on or in Record. Pretty simple.
If the point is you want to record but not hear, just click M for mute. Mute is post-input (and inserts are pre-fader/mute.) It doesn't mute the input just the output.

DBboy 12-29-2018 07:49 PM

Muting the track won’t help when punching in. The artist should hear what was recorded before the punch in point. Deselecting input (I) doesn’t work either since as soon as the track is in record, it goes into input. This is what I would like to override. Hope that makes sense.

BScout 12-29-2018 08:36 PM

To quote from the manual
Quote:

If a record-enabled track is in Auto Input
Monitor mode, you will hear “through” the
input while the Transport is stopped. The
track automatically switches to playback
when you press play, then back to Input
mode when you either stop, or punch into record.
For more information, see “Auto Input
Monitoring” on page 511.
Which means the I isn't lit but the R is when in record

This is what you want and then you want to be in quick punch/track punch record mode verses normal record. See Chapters 24 and 26 in the manual about all the options on record modes.
Then you hit play and the track plays back what is there until you punch in for record and then it switches to the recording until you punch out again.

DBboy 12-29-2018 09:02 PM

I think you might misunderstand what I am asking for. I don’t want the track to switch to input when punching in. In fact, I don’t want it to ever go into input at all. Thanks!

DBboy 12-29-2018 09:25 PM

Disabling Input Monitoring Question

Is there a way to disable input monitoring completely in PT Ultimate? LLM isn't an option as it disables any plugins on the record armed track. I see an option to disable input when the transport is stopped but as soon as the track goes into rec/play (ie: punching in) the track goes back into input monitoring. I am using an Apollo interface and monitor input through that. Thanks!

BScout 12-29-2018 10:28 PM

So you just want a playback (backing) track?
Then just record on a new track and leave the original track you want to hear with the R and I not selected.

Ok... I think I'm understanding what you want to happen. On the playback track, you need to do the above and just cut and mute the section you are going to re-record on the second track that is in record (that record track being muted since you are going to monitor thorough the Apollo.) Pretty much like a playback count in.

You could turn on automation during record (and write to -inf for the section you are recording over) and do it with automation on the same playback track but that gets more complicated.
Same thing could be done with separating playback and record faders and drop the record fader to -inf. When you punch in, the fader will drop to -inf. (as the recorder fader). You have to go into preferences>operation and uncheck link record and play faders. Then put the track into record (proper record) and drop the fader to -inf to control the record fader. That will be your "set up" before doing your actually tracking.

Darryl Ramm 12-29-2018 10:29 PM

Re: Disabling Input Monitoring Question

One way... is Preferences>Record>Unlink record and play faders. The "record fader" is your monitoring level. See the Pro Tools Reference Guide.

It's also a good practice where possible to work with LLM work. Offload monitoring plugin processing to your Console. Harder with punch in workflows.

And maybe I'm lost but if you are using punch in and track is record armed and in input monitoring mode you should not hearing any monitoring from pro tools.

A good idea would be to sit down with a trivial one track session and play with all the record and input modes.

DBboy 12-30-2018 03:30 PM

Re: Disabling Input Monitoring Question

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm (Post 2511085)
One way... is Preferences>Record>Unlink record and play faders. The "record fader" is your monitoring level. See the Pro Tools Reference Guide.

It's also a good practice where possible to work with LLM work. Offload monitoring plugin processing to your Console. Harder with punch in workflows.

And maybe I'm lost but if you are using punch in and track is record armed and in input monitoring mode you should not hearing any monitoring from pro tools.

A good idea would be to sit down with a trivial one track session and play with all the record and input modes.

Unlink record and play faders doesn't work since the record fader stays down when the (record armed) track is playing, preventing the talent to hear what was recorded before the punch in point. Input monitor mode also doesn't work since it automatically goes into input when "punched in". Perhaps I'm missing something here, but it seems like the only option is to use LLM which is frustrating since it disables any plugins on that track. A simple feature really, just about every DAW on the market has this except PT.