Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Post - Surround - Video (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Streaming a session over the Net (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=325723)

kd_special 07-19-2012 09:11 AM

Streaming a session over the Net

Just curious if anyone does sessions with Video over the Net. Basically source connect with video added.

We have a client out of town who wants to do mix screenings of shows over the net. So we need decent video and audio quality.

The best idea i have so far is we hire a studio in the area of the client with sour connect and send them a high rez video and have them lock to our session and the video and audio will chase.

But the main hiccup here is the client having to go to the studio. It would be much better if she could watch on her laptop or desktop computer. The audio wont be that great I understand but thats not really the issue right now.

any ideas?

thanks kindly in advance

kd

stormmusic 07-19-2012 10:19 AM

Re: Streaming a session over the Net

slingbox

Sonopolis 07-19-2012 12:23 PM

If you have a spare Mac with a video capture card you can try Apple's Quicktime Broadcaster. In any case you'll need a good upload speed if you want a good picture.

mr.armadillo 07-19-2012 12:32 PM

Maskeeper 07-19-2012 12:53 PM

Have done the Source connect solution you mentioned first: works ok. Getting kinks out to now to roll out with several clients (where we setup dedicated systems at their remote location).

The biggest issue is video bandwidth- having enough for good picture is tough... if you can figure out how to offload pic to their end and just chase, that's much better.

MIKEROPHONICS 07-20-2012 02:50 AM

VIdeo is such a bandwidth hog.

I use the remote transport sync function in Source Connect - guaranteed sync accurate to 8 samples - better than the quicktime in ProTools can achieve!

I prepare the session for the client and send it - they just download and login and let me control their session.

I understand the desire for producer to be able to watch in his bath etc, but gauranteeing sync is a can of worms on low bandwidth video send solutions - look at Skype or iShat.

I have jolly fast internet (5mB up) and 100 mB down so can send video sessions fast and would love a streaming solution, but most producers IMHO do not have the download bandwidth or lack of contention ratios etc or a good enough grasp of IT to cope with what's going on.

cheers

The golfer 07-20-2012 03:41 PM

I just read an email I received from Source-Elements 10 days ago:

Quote:

Source-Live 2.0

Stream to your clients from anywhere, any time, any DAW, and your new Gateway is coming soon with video and chat for a first class experience for your clients. Get in touch with us to get early access. We're happy to announce that Audio Units support is now available for Source-Live.
GET IT NOW
This would be an amazing solution since it does not involve a remote Pro Tools studio. I will update to 2.0 for sure, in the meantime I will get in touch with Source-Elements to get early access...

kd_special 07-20-2012 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIKEROPHONICS (Post 1950767)
VIdeo is such a bandwidth hog.

I use the remote transport sync function in Source Connect - guaranteed sync accurate to 8 samples - better than the quicktime in ProTools can achieve!

I prepare the session for the client and send it - they just download and login and let me control their session.

I understand the desire for producer to be able to watch in his bath etc, but gauranteeing sync is a can of worms on low bandwidth video send solutions - look at Skype or iShat.

I have jolly fast internet (5mB up) and 100 mB down so can send video sessions fast and would love a streaming solution, but most producers IMHO do not have the download bandwidth or lack of contention ratios etc or a good enough grasp of IT to cope with what's going on.

cheers

Like usual you make some very good points. Source connect seems like the best solution next to somthing made by http://www.haivision.com/products

Which is costly and perhaps to complicated.

Frank Kruse 07-22-2012 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kd_special (Post 1950508)
Just curious if anyone does sessions with Video over the Net. Basically source connect with video added.

We have a client out of town who wants to do mix screenings of shows over the net. So we need decent video and audio quality.

The best idea i have so far is we hire a studio in the area of the client with sour connect and send them a high rez video and have them lock to our session and the video and audio will chase.

But the main hiccup here is the client having to go to the studio. It would be much better if she could watch on her laptop or desktop computer. The audio wont be that great I understand but thats not really the issue right now.

any ideas?

thanks kindly in advance

kd

http://www.cinesync.com/

Sonopolis 07-22-2012 10:13 AM

That looks interesting, but how would cinesync sync to the ProTools video? Or does it have a live input?