Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   macOS (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Pro Tools 11 CPU Overload? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=390072)

bbrisk 03-29-2017 04:35 PM

Pro Tools 11 CPU Overload?

1 Attachment(s)
Hello,

I recently just purchased an Early 2009 Mac Pro strictly for Pro Tools:
-2.39 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon with 24 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC
-Running OS X 10.9.5
-My audio interface is a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
-I am running Pro Tools 11

When attempting to record my first session (1 stereo audio track with a click track and master) every time I start recording about 4 seconds in I get a CPU Overload error: (AAE -6101) screenshot attached.

What is ridiculous is even when I set my buffer all the way to 1024 Samples it keeps giving me this error, when opening the System Usage panel this computer isn't being taxed at all as it shouldn't considering the only plug-in running is the Click II and 1 stereo track being recorded.

I followed the steps from Avid to Optimize this mac when I first got it, I have no idea how to fix this issue or what is causing it considering this Mac Pro was recently built strictly for Pro Tools.

I am really hoping someone can give me some insight or help, I am very stressed out over the situation and just want to record some sessions.

jeam25 03-29-2017 04:41 PM

Re: Pro Tools 11 CPU Overload?

Hi !

What drive have your mac pro ?
Apple Fusion Drives are trouble for PT .

And are you recording to a dedicated audio drive or your main drive ?

bbrisk 03-29-2017 05:09 PM

I have two 1TB 7200-rpm hard drives, one is dedicated strictly for sessions.
I even tried reformatting and running my external Glyph Drive which has never failed me on my PC just to see if that was the issue.

I am unsure how to figure out if these are apple fusion drives but I doubt they are, the website I bought this mac from strictly tailored the build for Pro Tools.

I am new to Mac operating systems considering I have been a PC user my entire life, so bear with me if I make an oversight.

jeam25 03-29-2017 05:15 PM

Ok i see . By any chance do you have Native Instruments VIs installed ? What 3rd party plugins do you have installed ?

jeam25 03-29-2017 05:17 PM

Is the focusrite the only Interface installed ? And it have the lastest driver ?

musicman691 03-29-2017 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeam25 (Post 2421937)
Ok i see . By any chance do you have Native Instruments VIs installed ? What 3rd party plugins do you have installed ?

NI vi's shouldn't be an issue - no problem with them here. As far as Fusion drives they didn't come into existance until a couple of years ago and never in a MacPro. I believe Fusion drives are only in iMacs.

Doing too quick starts and stops can throw up a 6101 - happens to me from time to time in OSX 10.9.5 and PT11.3.1; PT11.3.2 has been okay so far.

jeam25 03-29-2017 07:00 PM

Yeah ! But ive read somewhere about adding them ( fusion drives ) to mac pros so thats why i comment . You never know this days right :-) !

bbrisk 03-30-2017 06:48 AM

The only 3rd party plugins I have installed are Waves plugins, I also have Reason 9 installed with plans to occasionally Re-Wire that program into Pro Tools. The Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 is the only interface I have and it has the latest drivers installed, the only other device connected to the Mac is an M-Audio Axiom 25 USB Midi controller.

jeam25 03-30-2017 07:32 AM

Well you got me there !

The only thing that came to my mind is 1 be shure you dont have the the apple fusion drive by any chance , 2 remove all the plugins from PT plugin folder and test without them again and 3 test without the axiom too .

musicman691 03-30-2017 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbrisk (Post 2422020)
The only 3rd party plugins I have installed are Waves plugins, I also have Reason 9 installed with plans to occasionally Re-Wire that program into Pro Tools. The Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 is the only interface I have and it has the latest drivers installed, the only other device connected to the Mac is an M-Audio Axiom 25 USB Midi controller.

What Waves plugins do you have?