Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Fuzzy\distorted playback of recorded audio. (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=282584)

Caatalyst 09-21-2010 05:32 AM

Fuzzy\distorted playback of recorded audio.

Hey guys,

I'm having abit of difficult with the new Windows 7 drivers. Everything at last works! I can use my m-box 2 as my default playback device, run Cubase or Pro Tools without out any issues (or none that I've found yet).

Anyway I decided to start working on a song in Cubase, everythings been fine up untill the point I decided to record my guitar.

I've got my guitar D.Ied in the back of my M-box, when I set up the channel and listen to what I'm playing it sounds absolutely fine. However Once I record it and play it back it sounds fuzzy\distorted and out of tune, abit robotic.

It's really fruhstrating because it records and plays back fine in Pro Tools just not Cubase.

I've tried changing the buffer size which doesnt work unless I set it to 4000 which I'm sure you know isn't practical. Anything lower than that then the recording becomes fuzzy. The weird thing is that in Pro Tools I can change the buffer size and its fine no matter what except for the lowest setting (I think its like 26 or something).

If anybody has any suggestions then please help!

James

Asus Crosshair III Motherboard
AMD Quad Core Phenom II 3.2ghz
4GB DDR3
Geforce 260 GTX
M-Box 2
Windows 7 Premium 64bit

spkguitar 09-21-2010 06:27 AM

Re: Fuzzy\distorted playback of recorded audio.

Some things to try:
  1. Try another USB port.
  2. Make sure you have Windows set to NOT power down USB devices from the root hubs.
  3. Try a powered USB hub; one that plugs into a wall socket.

JMS40 09-21-2010 08:55 AM

Your signature says:
Quote:

Windows 7 Premium 64bit
Pro Tools 8.0.3 LE
PTLE 8.0.4 is the only version qualified to run on W7 64.

Caatalyst 09-22-2010 08:30 AM

Sorry my signature hasnt been updated I use 8.0.4 now as i said in my post.

I have tried using a different USB port and changing those settings in windows with no luck. As I said I can successfully record into pro tools and it plays back fine, just not cubase.

Any more ideas?

Jamaican 09-22-2010 05:23 PM

I get similar problems as well. I'm using win 7 64bit pt8.04

What I do is I go to the "Hardware" Tab in Pt and then switch to a clock source that im not using and click ok. Wait 5 seconds (u can wait 6 secs if u want lol) and then I go back and click the correct clock source and thats the fix.

If the prob occurs again, just repeat it. (sometimes it gives a msg when ur thru switching clock sources. = I can't remember what the msg says but its basically saying something is out of sync) just hit spacebar for it to go away and wait about 5 secs again and it should all be in sync.

Hope I helped. Sorry I'm not familiar with Cubase.

Also I've noticed the prob becomes more frequent when there are other tasks being performed outside protools, so disable ur network card, kill antivirus, and whatever else is running.

Let me know if it helps.

Caatalyst 10-06-2010 01:04 AM

Thanks Jamaican Hmmm I tried changing the clock source back and forth through Pro Tools and Cubase (I can't access the audio drivers control panel through cubase).

Nothing works except setting the buffer rate to 4k which is not practical at all.

I also balanced down a few midi drums today as audio, put them back in my cubase session and i got the same response as my guitar.

So I'm now drawing the conclusion that I can't playback any audio in Cubase because of this problem. The strange thing is any audio seems ot play back fine in Pro Tools so the problem lies with Cubase.

Any more suggestions?

Caatalyst 10-09-2010 01:29 AM

Anymore suggestions?

crossroadsc 11-25-2010 09:24 PM

Caatalyst,

I'm having the same issue to. Recording and Exporting Audio with Mbox 2 and Cubase 5.5.2 is fine but playback is distorted at every buffer size. Protools works fine, though. Did you figure out a solution? Or anybody know a solution?

CrossroadsC

Blank Frank 12-01-2010 01:16 PM

I'm having exactly the same problem here. Only seems to have come in with 8.04.cs2 update.Really frustrating, I've ended up using another interface for cubase etc. The other thing I noticed is strange scrolling issues in Wavelab when using MBox 2, these go away when I select a different interface or when I don't use the ASIO driver for the MBox.

sungwoon1130 12-01-2010 04:00 PM

Same problem here since 8.0.2
problems payingback in audio track in cubase 5
the instresting fact is that once you bounce the track, you do not hear that fuzzy/distorted sounds.
Really disappointed that this didn't resolved in 8.0.4 updates.
Thinking of switching to new Audio interface.