Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Help with iMac purchase decision (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=224664)

ratman24 07-06-2008 01:49 PM

Help with iMac purchase decision

Hello,
I've been using Pro Tools LE on my Windows XP PC with little luck, and I'm at the point where I need to upgrade my computer to get results. Rather than fight a potentially losing battle, I decided to look into purchasing a Mac for recording only. I had a G4 years ago and it worked great, so it's time to return to my roots I suppose.

Anyway, here is the system I am looking at, please let me know if any of you folks see potential problems with the setup I'm planning.

iMac 20" 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo (current version)
OSX Leopard
Pro Tools LE 7.4
4GB RAM
MBox 2
Pro Tools on iMac system drive, record to an external Firewire 400 HD, something fast, 80-100GB.

Generally, the only regular plugins or extra software I use would be Amplitube 2 and Reason 3.0.

I use Amplitube a LOT as I'm a guitarist and I live in an apartment, so it's important I can have multiple tracks of Amplitube going, typically 4-6, but more is always great.

Again, please share your experience and wisdom to help guide me in this purchase. I've been away from the Apple world since the initial release of OSX, so there's a lot I am sure that has changed and I don't want to make a mistake.

Thanks.

PRS4LIFE 07-06-2008 02:26 PM

Re: Help with iMac purchase decision

Hi ratman24,

i am a newly converted windows xp user now to mac. i just purchased the same imac 20" 2.4ghz computer you mention. and i want to tell you that i ABSOLUTELY love it! even though i wasn't having many problems with my pc i decided to make the switch. all because of the mac osx leopard operating system. sometimes i wonder now why i even considered windows. anyway, im a 002 rack owner with the imac. right now i only have the 1gb ram that came in it. i am also a guitarist, and i know what it's like to use the amp sim software. i also just purchased "eleven" digi's amp software. so far i haven't seen any problems with performance. i can't speak for amplitube 2 though cause i haven't used it. but my point is we're in the same boat and I love it, so I think you will too! in your post you mention you like to run typically 4-6 plugs of amplitube 2. also remember, after you are done with those tracks you can bus them over to another track and record them to that track, then get rid of the amplitube 2 plugin and the track freeing up processor power and more tracks. id highly recommended that. as the saying goes. "once you go mac, you never go back....and pc becomes cheesy!" haha i made that up myself.

GO FOR IT!

typing from my totally awesome imac,
prs4life

p.s. save yourself a hundred bucks and get a refurbished one from apples site, might as well be new ;-)

WilliamDC 07-06-2008 05:06 PM

I have a slightly older iMac (2.0 ghz Intel Core 2 duo) and it works like a charm with my 002r. I have a Lacie D2 drive to record my audio stuff and it also houses all of my samples for Reason. I have to say it's been a hell of a lot more stable with PT than my old XP machine was. I worked in IT 10 years supporting Windows machines but now I'm all Mac. Go figure.

Nilo Santos 07-07-2008 12:20 AM

Hello everyone! Please help me. I am looking to purchase my very first home studio, and I don’t even know where to begin. - What complete set-up can you recommend?

From your posts, the new i-Mac (with OSX Leopard) seems to be the choice. - If so, then kindly suggest everything to complete this set-up.
Please specify everything from the computer to all paraphernalia, other accessories & plug-ins (Eleven, Reason, Amplitude, ReDrum, Digimax, Waves, Firewire, Clock, etc.)

What about the new 003 Factory Console? - or should I get a separate mixing board (so I can use it for live purposes as well). - If so, please suggest one with the complete set-up.

Thanks for your help.