Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   what does ACIDIZED mean? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=49243)

frankiejaxx 05-20-2003 02:33 PM

what does ACIDIZED mean?

hello everyone,

so there are these cheap loop cd's that i want to buy and they are ACIDIZED. everytime i hear that word i think of PC's and not Macs. The guy who is selling them tells me they are 16 bit-44khz -wav.format. i know that i can use this in theory but the word ACIDIZED scares me. will i be able to import these loops into my 001?

thanks in advance

frankiejaxx

djxodus 05-20-2003 03:42 PM

Re: what does ACIDIZED mean?

Acidized is a term used for loops which have tempo and pitch data attached to the file. This is how the program "Acid" reads the file and is able to mix different loops of different tempos to sync in the program.
They can be used in any program, 001 does not read the "acidized" part so it just gets impoted as a wav. file. You have to adjust tempos yourself with in PT. to match.

frankiejaxx 05-20-2003 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by djxodus:
Acidized is a term used for loops which have tempo and pitch data attached to the file. This is how the program "Acid" reads the file and is able to mix different loops of different tempos to sync in the program.
They can be used in any program, 001 does not read the "acidized" part so it just gets impoted as a wav. file. You have to adjust tempos yourself with in PT. to match.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">thanks for your help!!!!!

FirstStep 05-20-2003 03:46 PM

I don't know about 'importing them into your Digi001', but as for using them in any app that recognizes .wav files, you'll be fine. All ACIDIZED means is that special markers have been saved with the file that let Sonic Foundry products (and some others like Logic, but not ProTools) read specific info like tempo etc... but you'll be able to use them fine. Being ACIDized is just an added bonus for certain people.

BTW, ACID is a GREAT program- I cut my production teeth on it before moving to Reason (and from PC to Mac..), and it has, in my opinion, the best loop/sound chopping and editing abilities of any program. Just my 2 cents..

djxodus 05-20-2003 03:51 PM

Bitheadz makes a program called "Phrazer" which works like Acid in that it reads Acidized files and syncs all loops of different tempo like acid.
So if you want to take advantage of the Acidized loops and just have a Mac check out this program.

frankiejaxx 05-20-2003 04:18 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by FirstStep:
[QB] I don't know about 'importing them into your Digi001',

i guess i just meant bringing the acidized loop into my region bin and then dragging into the track. does that make more sense? you CAN do this, right?

thanks

orage 05-20-2003 08:30 PM

Live will also read and display "ACIDIZED" files. I've been using Acid for a couple of years to create beds and environments for my shows, but absolutely flipped over Live when I demoed it! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

pk_hat 05-20-2003 10:55 PM

Ableton Live.

A new found love. I was also a PC user and used Acid since the day it came out, but Live 2.0 has put a spell on me, it's sublime.

As for Phrazer, unless they (Bitheadz) cleaned up their act and released a new and more stable version, it might be worth checking into. Last time I even heard the mention of Phrazer, it was extremely buggy and quite honestly, laughed at in disbelief that they dared put out this kind of trash (I'm being serious), so beware. Save yourself a headache and get Live if you're looking for a good loop base program for Mac.

ronev 05-21-2003 11:52 AM

Yeah, pk, I read that review of Phrazer, and it was laughable. The loops would not even stay in sync with other loops for the entire song. Maybe it's ok now, but I would doubt it.

pk_hat 05-21-2003 09:21 PM

yes, works like Acid, only better, IMO.

-great for live gigs
-excellent time stretching
-incredible reverb (for a $300 program, it's a damn fine sounding verb)
-incredible sound mangling plugins
-works beatufilly as a multitracker (I use it with my M-Audio 2496 to record live instruments)
-Rewire compatible, no need to explain what that entails to us PT users [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

www.ableton.com