Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 11 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Upgraded to RME Fireface/No MIDI (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=403199)

ozzlvlosis 02-01-2019 02:37 AM

Upgraded to RME Fireface/No MIDI

I'm using Pro Tools 11. RME Fireface (just upgraded from Babyface) with a Yamaha Motif.

Before I upgraded I was able to get MIDI into Pro tools and use Virtual Instruments like Xpand.

Since upgrading, all I'm getting is audio. From the Motif I have the L/R audio cables going to the fireface and MIDI IN/OUT from the motif to the fireface.

I'm not sure what changed and I'm hoping someone could shed some light on this problem

musicman691 02-01-2019 05:50 AM

Re: Upgraded to RME Fireface/No MIDI

I'dget the free MIDI-OX utility and run it to see if your Motif is still sending MIDI to the computer. You did install the drivers for the interface right?

Sardi 02-01-2019 06:15 AM

Make sure it’s all configured properly in Audio MIDI setup. It would have changed as you changed audio interfaces, which is also acting as your MIDI interface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ozzlvlosis 02-01-2019 01:13 PM

I will try MIDI-OX.
I did install the drivers and everything looks correct in the settings for Midi I have it in fireface midi port 1

Southsidemusic 02-01-2019 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzlvlosis (Post 2515087)
I will try MIDI-OX.
I did install the drivers and everything looks correct in the settings for Midi I have it in fireface midi port 1

Just to make sure //

Midi out from Motif to Midi in and vice versa ?? We have done that mistake of putting midi in to midi in and out to out a few times when stressed hehe

Also check midi thru in PT and that you have the rec button enabled on the Virtual Instrument track. When you wanna use the Motif you need to use a Midi track and an Audio track rec enabled and when using a softwynth you only need a Virtual Instrument track, no midi or audio track.

ozzlvlosis 02-01-2019 02:14 PM

Yes but it's not even working on a VST track. It's as if pro tools can only hear audio and I cant control anything

musicman691 02-01-2019 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzlvlosis (Post 2515096)
Yes but it's not even working on a VST track. It's as if pro tools can only hear audio and I cant control anything

Control is different from recording MIDI and audio. Motif control of a daw can be strange at times. If you are trying to use controls on the Motif to control things in PT I think you need to use the USB port for MIDI.

ozzlvlosis 02-01-2019 06:19 PM

Maybe control was a poor choice of words. I've just always used midi cables and never had an issue whether it was my mbox2 or my babyface. Now with the fireface uc I'm only getting audio

musicman691 02-02-2019 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzlvlosis (Post 2515113)
Maybe control was a poor choice of words. I've just always used midi cables and never had an issue whether it was my mbox2 or my babyface. Now with the fireface uc I'm only getting audio

Have you tried MIDI-OX and if so what did you find? I often find when there's issues with MIDI coming from outside the box it's helpful to look at the incoming MIDI stream even though things may have worked correctly before.

ozzlvlosis 02-03-2019 02:49 PM

I tried MIDI OX. Nothing is showing. I'm starting to think it's a problem with the midi cables or ports on my motif. I tried all the motif settings. I'm gonna try a firewire connection as well