Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   AAX Plug-ins (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   AVID Must DO Something for AAX DSP (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=330633)

A1 11-10-2012 10:05 AM

AVID Must DO Something for AAX DSP

We will buy 6 HDX Systems + the new interfaces… the moment Waves and SoundToys light “Green Light” as to the development of HDX DSP…
And there are many others who I’m sure will do the same… this is a major loose-loose scenario for AVID and DSP PI developers.

AVID is bleeding... and they must and should engage in an "active communication" with these major PI developers to make this happen...

Southsidemusic 11-10-2012 10:18 AM

Re: AVID Must DO Something for AAX DSP

Quote:

Originally Posted by A1 (Post 1979764)
We will buy 6 HDX Systems + the new interfaces… the moment Waves and SoundToys light “Green Light” as to the development of HDX DSP…
And there are many others who I’m sure will do the same… this is a major loose-loose scenario for AVID and DSP PI developers.

AVID is bleeding... and they must and should engage in an "active communication" with these major PI developers to make this happen...

Word!

ronwasserman 11-10-2012 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A1 (Post 1979764)

So Avid will go to Waves and say - Hey Guys, we're in financial trouble and suffering an identity crisis. We need you to make AAX DSP versions of your plugs.-

I think Waves is hanging on the side lines waiting to see if the Avid audio divisions gets sold off.

Just my 2 cents.

dave911 11-10-2012 11:59 AM

I'm just glad we have a workable version of PT right now.

Nightworker 11-10-2012 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronwasserman (Post 1979770)
waiting to see if the Avid audio divisions gets sold off.

Just my 2 cents.

Ain't going to happen. Avid Audio division is the only division of Avid that is actually making money. That's why they merged the audio and the video divisions together so that the books would look better to the investors. The video side of Avid has always been loosing money, if they sell the only real source of income for the company, the company will eventually fold. So we will not see that happen.

Dism 11-10-2012 05:08 PM

I think what we really need are more new threads bitching at Avid for Waves' lack of motivation. :rolleyes:

If you're unhappy about Waves not making AAX plugs... CALL WAVES. There's nothing Avid can do if they decide not to make DSP plugs. It's not their company, it's not their call to make.

If Waves thinks they can survive without the Avid DSP market, then it's their decision. If you disagree with it... complaining here is about as useful as putting a bullet in your own foot.

dave911 11-10-2012 05:54 PM

Since AAX-DSP is a proprietary format tied to Avid's hardware and a limited market it would help a lot if Avid could provide some revenue incentives or software support for getting the porting done.
With Avid reporting weak financials and having apparently outsourced a lot of the software work I wouldn't expect much soon.

Whatever dominance Avid has in the audio marekt is outweighed by the uncertainty of where Avid is going.
Nobody wants to follow the leader down a rabbit hole.

What we really need is more inadvertant advice on what is worth discussing.

necjamc 11-10-2012 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightworker (Post 1979833)
Ain't going to happen. Avid Audio division is the only division of Avid that is actually making money. That's why they merged the audio and the video divisions together so that the books would look better to the investors. The video side of Avid has always been loosing money, if they sell the only real source of income for the company, the company will eventually fold. So we will not see that happen.

Actually, I think their video division brings in slightly more income according to their annual report.

Pirate Post 11-11-2012 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave911 (Post 1979789)
I'm just glad we have a workable version of PT right now.

Some rational thought. I like that.

My Waves Mercury bundle works just fine in PT 10.

I think PT 11 is some time after the fiscal cliff. Lets get through that one first.

JFreak 11-11-2012 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pirate Post (Post 1979884)
I think PT 11 is some time after the fiscal cliff. Lets get through that one first.

What you think does not matter. I've heard PT11 is right around the corner. That said, I myself think that it might/should take some time to get it released. For me, there is close to zero worth in PT11 and all the 64-bit goodness, if there are no Waves DSP plugins available. I know Avid/Waves knows the situation and that's why I tend to share your opinion. But the reports I've heard scare me.