Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   ICON & C|24 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   D-command causes L O N G save times!! WHy?! (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=270629)

mtung 03-31-2010 03:18 AM

D-command causes L O N G save times!! WHy?!

OK, I've been really struggling with extremely long save times and today I really had the chance to troubleshoot this. I was certain it was a rogue plugin causing the problem, BUT it's NOT. It's the D-command! Huh?

As soon as I enable the D-command in the Ethernet Controllers wondow, it causes save times to increase to about 6-8 seconds as oppposed to a fraction of a second (a blip really).

Is this normal? If not, does anybody have any tips as to what I might be able to do to fix this?

I'm running a Dual 2.7 PPC (10.5.6), PT 8.0.1cs1.

Any help is very much appreciated.

thanks!

Mike

mtung 03-31-2010 03:23 PM

Re: D-command causes L O N G save times!! WHy?!

digi tech support?

Is there any reports of this issue in any logs out there? I have two identical machines/rigs and they both behave exactly the same. Anybody?

thanks

Mike

Drew Mazurek 03-31-2010 03:37 PM

Good luck getting a response from Digi, I mean Avid. :(

mtung 04-01-2010 01:21 AM

Aww man. Please say it isn't so. Has support fallen off the map too?

bump

Digi?

mtung 04-01-2010 03:33 AM

Digi, is there any way I could submit a session to tech support to see if they can figure out why this is happening?

mike

Drew Mazurek 04-01-2010 07:24 AM

To be fair, this is the Users Conference but it seems to me that this forum could be a direct connection to the people developing the ICON part of PT, if there are any left.

mtung 04-01-2010 01:40 PM

Well then Drew, maybe a user like yourself can help me shed some light on what's happening. I discovered some new info today that makes things even more difficult to troubleshoot.

In my first test, I reinstalled ProTools 8.0.1cs1 (mind you after clearing all cashes by removing all plugs except for the stereo mixer...you know the dance). So the first thing I tried was to make a new blank session and lo and behold it saves lightning fast. Of course there are no tracks and no plugins and no alterations of the preferences since the reinstall of PT (meaning no D-command assigned). Saves lightning fast as it should.

Then I made some tracks and instantiated just about every plugin and it still saves lightning fast. So, THEN I assign the D-command in the ethernet controllers page and BOOM. Saving takes 7 seconds to complete. During these seven seconds, the D-command acts as if the command key is pressed the whole time. For example, if I press save while the transport is in play, and while it is saving I press a solo button, the solo button flashes as if I put the track in solo safe.

SO HERE IS THE TWIST. Today I a started mixing a project that came as a ProTools file already started from someones elses system (made on an HD rig running 7.4) and it saves great even though the D-command is assigned! SO, this must mean that there is something in my system that corrupts sessions that I create from scratch. AND it has to do with the D-command.

So where does this leave me? Very confused.

I am hopeful that some other users will be able to help me shed some light on this.

I have two identical systems that both have the same problem.

Dual PPC 2.7Ghz (3.5G RAM)
OSX 10.5.6
HD3
PT 8.0.1cs1

Thanks for reading.

Mike

DigiTechSupt 04-01-2010 02:01 PM

The best way to get assistance is to submit a tech support request -

http://www.digidesign.com/tsr

While we try to maintain a presence on the DUC, there is just no way to chime in on every thread.

The above support request can accept files, images, etc. I would STRONGLY suggest providing more complete system information than you have here.

My first question - have you tried the General Troubleshooting steps?

Do you have a different ethernet port you could test with? Are you using hubs, switches or other devices in the ethernet chain? If so, have you tried connecting the D-Command directly to see if anything changes?

mtung 04-02-2010 02:13 AM

Thanks digitechsupport for the link to the submit page. Ill get on that. Yes, I have tried every known troubleshooting technique I could find. As far as the hub/switch variable, I am using a D-link gigabit switch. I doubt the switch would be the problem since the session that I am working on now which originated in another studio using PT 7.4 seems to be working normal (D-caommand and switch all connected at the same time).

thanks though!

mike

Roy Rogers 04-13-2010 05:01 PM

Have you resolved this issue?