Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   I can't get MIDI Patch Names. PTLE crashes (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=246033)

JoeLouis 05-13-2009 07:01 PM

I can't get MIDI Patch Names. PTLE crashes

Hi everyone.

I was trying to get the patch names of a synth module (Roland JV-2080), which has 5 expansion boards installed. At the beginning, the patch names window showed patch numbers instead of names. I selected "change", and looked for the module name in the MIDI patch names folder, but when I selected it, a message appeared saying "...either manufacturer/model information or instrument mode do not match"

At a given time, after several attempts, the main patch banks (not the expansion banks), appeared, but after I closed and reopened the session, as soon I pressed the patch select button, Pro Tools crashed (this happened several times with different sessions).

I trashed the preferences (DAE, DigiSetup.OSX, Pro Tools, AMS), and also all the Digidesign databases folders. I repaired the permissions too. Now, PT is working in an erratic way: Sometimes it quits as soon I try to open a new MIDI track. Sometimes, it quits when I hit the button to open the patches window of the module (JV-2080). And sometimes, I got open the patches window, and changed the patch names, but I couldn’t get all the expansion banks my module has. (It has five, and I found only one of them).

The last times I've tried to select the patches names window, PT just crashes.

Thanks in advance for your help

2.3 GHz dual Mac G5
OSX 10.4.11
Pro Tools LE 7.4
Digital Performer 6.0

DigiTechSupt 05-14-2009 09:30 AM

Re: I can't get MIDI Patch Names. PTLE crashes

Where did you get the patch names file from?

How do you have the 2080 configured in AMS (seeing a screenshot would help)?

You can also try this:

Go to MacHD>Users>your account>Library>Preferences>By Host and trash 'com.apple.midi.a bunch of numbers and letters.plist'.

Go to MacHD>Users>your account>Library>Preferences and trash 'com.apple.audio.audiomidisetup.plist'.

Empty the trash and restart, then see if everything is working.

ChuckS 05-14-2009 10:24 AM

If the above does not work, the patches are most likely being picked up from the MOTU midi device definitions which that particular MOTU patch list causes an error 'ChannelSet: "Control Channel" does not belong to a mode' when opened by Cherry Picker for editing. When PT and DP are installed together, you have duplicate devices that you can choose from under AMS with no indication of which set you are picking from. This has messed me up a couple of times with different units. You could delete the unit in AMS and then recreate it making sure you're using the Digi definition or you can get Cherry Picker and correct the MOTU definition.

You can get Cherry Picker here: http://www.alterspective.com/cherrypicker/

JoeLouis 05-15-2009 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt (Post 1397883)
Where did you get the patch names file from?

How do you have the 2080 configured in AMS (seeing a screenshot would help)?

You can also try this:

Go to MacHD>Users>your account>Library>Preferences>By Host and trash 'com.apple.midi.a bunch of numbers and letters.plist'.

Go to MacHD>Users>your account>Library>Preferences and trash 'com.apple.audio.audiomidisetup.plist'.

Empty the trash and restart, then see if everything is working.

JoeLouis 05-15-2009 05:21 PM

The patch names are in: Mac HD>Library>Audio>Midi Patch Names>Digidesign. I get this folder in PT, trough the MIDI Select Bank, then, “Change”.

I trashed the preferences, repair permissions, even, deleted and rebuilt all the modules in the AMS window. The only way I could get the thing works, is extracting the MOTU folder from the MIDI device folder (inside the Audio Folder). It seems like there’s a conflict between the Digidesign folder, and the MOTU folder. (I work with Pro Tools, and Digital Performer).

Another thing: while the MOTU Patch Names folder contains all the Expansion Board Patch Names, the Digidesign folder has only one of the five my module (Roland JV-2080) has. Isn’t there an update for this?

JoeLouis 05-15-2009 06:17 PM

Chucks, as you say, “When PT and DP are installed together, you have duplicate devices that you can choose from under AMS”. Then, this causes a conflict to Pro Tools (not to Digital Performer), although the folder names are different, while the Digidesign’s is inside a folder named “MIDI Patch Names”, the MOTU’s is inside one named “MIDI Devices”, (not enough to make a difference uh?)

What drives me crazy is, why PT crashes just when I hit the patch names button corresponding to the JV-2080 (I have seven more modules with which this doesn’t happen).

I’m gonna try with Cherry Picker. (I'm affraid I’m not sure what do you mean with “definition”)

Thanks

ChuckS 05-15-2009 06:20 PM

The only way to avoid the conflicts with the patch lists is to use one or the other. I have removed the Digi definitions from the Library/Audio folder and use the MOTU definitions only - they are more complete. You need to drag Library/Audio/MIDI Devices/Digidesign Device List.middev file and the /Library/Audio/MIDI Patch Names/Digidesign folder somewhere else. Restart the machine. Then remove and recreate your devices in AMS. Now only the MOTU defs will be available. When you first select the device in PT you'll get an error but continue and select change from the empty patchlist. navigate to the /Library/Audio/MIDI Devices/MOTU folder to select the patchlist.

JoeLouis 05-15-2009 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckS (Post 1398687)
The only way to avoid the conflicts with the patch lists is to use one or the other. I have removed the Digi definitions from the Library/Audio folder and use the MOTU definitions only - they are more complete. You need to drag Library/Audio/MIDI Devices/Digidesign Device List.middev file and the /Library/Audio/MIDI Patch Names/Digidesign folder somewhere else. Restart the machine. Then remove and recreate your devices in AMS. Now only the MOTU defs will be available. When you first select the device in PT you'll get an error but continue and select change from the empty patchlist. navigate to the /Library/Audio/MIDI Devices/MOTU folder to select the patchlist.

Thanks for your help Chucks, I'll try this.

ChuckS 05-15-2009 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeLouis (Post 1398686)
Then, this causes a conflict to Pro Tools (not to Digital Performer), although the folder names are different, while the Digidesign’s is inside a folder named “MIDI Patch Names”, the MOTU’s is inside one named “MIDI Devices”, (not enough to make a difference uh?)

I think CoreMidi just comes along and grabs every definition in the the Devices folder for AMS definitions - that is where the duplicate naming problem lies. Plus PT only implements basic patch lists by banks. DP on the other hand has implemented a much more complex patch publishing scheme where you can create your own groupings collected from different banks. For instance, you can have violins from 4 or 5 different banks grouped in your patch list selections as just Violins. That, plus a couple of other interesting things like expansion cards for certain synths. If you use these different groupings in your definitions, PT just ignores them - they do not cause problems. DP probably looks a little more closely at where the files are coming from.

JoeLouis 05-16-2009 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckS (Post 1398687)