Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Storage Subsystems (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   AVID what is the status of USB 3.0 compatibility with Pro Tools? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=277016)

audiogeekzine 06-29-2010 07:47 PM

AVID what is the status of USB 3.0 compatibility with Pro Tools?

AVID USB 3.0 cards and hard drives are now available to consumers, have been for at least a month.

What is the status of USB 3.0 compatibility testing with Pro Tools?

Benoni 06-29-2010 11:41 PM

Re: AVID what is the status of USB 3.0 compatibility with Pro Tools?

Quote:

Originally Posted by audiogeekzine (Post 1630403)
AVID USB 3.0 cards and hard drives are now available to consumers, have been for at least a month.

What is the status of USB 3.0 compatibility testing with Pro Tools?

Well Windows 7 has been out over 7 months and still nothing official.. so I wouldn't expect anything regarding USB 3.0 for quiet awhile.

However USB 2.0 plugs/devices are compatible with USB 3.0 ports. So i would image everything would work just fine.

audiogeekzine 06-30-2010 08:51 PM

Yeah not really what I mean though.
I'm hoping they're not going to 'drop the ball' and NOT develop something to utilize the new technology.

I'm asking about moving Forward!

Come on AVID let's move FORWARD!!!

Benoni 06-30-2010 09:47 PM

well..... as stated above...7 months, still no official Windows 7 support....

Still no ADC for LE and M-powered........ Still no RTAS 2.0........ still no full 64 bit Pro Tools..... Still no efficient use of multi core processors...... still no unlimited track counts... ect...

I'm sure everything will turn out fine, i mean, how many bad decisions has Avid made :D

But on a serious note, even though USB 3 is faster... is it any better for constant streams of data? which is why Firewire is preferred over USB.

I really like Intel's Light Peak, that is the direction to go.

audiogeekzine 07-01-2010 02:18 PM

Even Kenny is using REAPER now... :o

sunburst79 07-01-2010 09:51 PM

It should be backwards compatible. So your USB drive should be as troublesome as ever:D.

I understand the new spec supposedly supports isochronous transfers and should be more FW like in that its not interrupting the CPU.

I think the status of USB 3.0 is currently this.

A) Intel is not building it into chipsets yet so its not "mainstream".

B) AMD is not building it into their chipsets so its not "mainstream".

C) NVIDIA is not building it into their chipsets so its not "mainstream"

D) The number of available USB 3.0 devices is still extremely small.

E) Apple is not including it on their computers yet.

I think that at least two of the above need to change before Avid is going to look at it closer. The VAST majority of computers DO have USB 2.0 and designing a new interface around little used protocal a seems kinda silly (right now).

Don't get me wrong I think its a good question. I would like to see USB 3.0 storage play nice with PT and some new interfaces to take advantage of it. I just don't see any hurry to to rush it into to production. I would be definitely looking at it hard though.

Kenny Gioia 07-02-2010 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audiogeekzine (Post 1631226)
even kenny is using reaper now... :o

:p:p:p

No you didn't.

Brian Hulnick 11-03-2010 01:23 AM

What are the key differences between USB 2.0 and 3.0? And will Apple be introducing USB 3.0 to their 2011 range of Macs?

Bill Denton 11-03-2010 04:40 AM

I have noticed recently that some of the motherboards used by the custom music computer builders have USB 3.0 ports...

Craig F 11-03-2010 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunburst79 (Post 1631377)
It should be backwards compatible. So your USB drive should be as troublesome as ever:D.

I understand the new spec supposedly supports isochronous transfers and should be more FW like in that its not interrupting the CPU.

I think the status of USB 3.0 is currently this.

A) Intel is not building it into chipsets yet so its not "mainstream".

B) AMD is not building it into their chipsets so its not "mainstream".

C) NVIDIA is not building it into their chipsets so its not "mainstream"

D) The number of available USB 3.0 devices is still extremely small.

E) Apple is not including it on their computers yet.

I think that at least two of the above need to change before Avid is going to look at it closer. The VAST majority of computers DO have USB 2.0 and designing a new interface around little used protocal a seems kinda silly (right now).

Don't get me wrong I think its a good question. I would like to see USB 3.0 storage play nice with PT and some new interfaces to take advantage of it. I just don't see any hurry to to rush it into to production. I would be definitely looking at it hard though.

E is partly because of A

F) USB 3.0 still lacks a dedicated bus controller

G) Light Peak may rule them all