Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Mac Mini released (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=401726)

ramonetl 10-30-2018 02:10 PM

New Mac Mini released

Hey folks, so i saw the new mac mini released with a 6 core cpu and up to 2TB SSD and 64GB ram. Couple this with four TB3 ports, one hdmi and two USB3 ports, could this be considered a Mac Pro killer? My mac pro is great and i have zero issues with it but i think if i ever sell it I may get the mini for the footprint especially now that apollo has released the TB3 units. Thoughts?

AlexLakis 10-30-2018 04:06 PM

Re: New Mac Mini released

I need it to be a Macbook Pro killer. I hope it is.

Meads 10-30-2018 04:39 PM

I would take a hard look at thermals. The 6 core i7 8700 is great, I use it in a Hackintosh. But Apple crammed it into a very tiny enclosure - as they always do nowadays. :rolleyes:
I suspect it's either going to be very loud all the time or not turbo as much as this CPU is capable of.
Pricing once again is ridiculous, but I guess I would swallow it if performance was okay. But if the build limits the power of the system, this is NOT worth several thousand $.

LDS 10-30-2018 05:15 PM

I'm confused. What exactly is the difference between the two models of new Mac Mini?

If you choose the cheaper one and upgrade it with a 3.2ghz 6 core processor and 512gb SSD, it is $300 cheaper than the same spec'ed 'more expensive' model?

Darryl Ramm 10-30-2018 06:19 PM

Oh that walled garden: motherboard soldered Apple overpriced SSD.

And apparently soldered CPU. Grrrr.

Tim R. 10-30-2018 07:51 PM

The only question I want to be answered is how loud will it be under a heavy CPU load. My Lowly 2012 i5 Mini runs pretty quietly in a well-ventilated rack in the control room.

ramonetl 10-31-2018 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meads (Post 2504293)
I would take a hard look at thermals. The 6 core i7 8700 is great, I use it in a Hackintosh. But Apple crammed it into a very tiny enclosure - as they always do nowadays. :rolleyes:
I suspect it's either going to be very loud all the time or not turbo as much as this CPU is capable of.
Pricing once again is ridiculous, but I guess I would swallow it if performance was okay. But if the build limits the power of the system, this is NOT worth several thousand $.

Cant get any hotter than my macbook pro. I am glad I got a mac pro because my balls were overheating when I had my MBPro on my lap. :P

noah330 11-01-2018 08:39 AM

I'm actually considering one of the new MacMini machines. I know they're expensive compared to something built but I know I can take it out of the box and have it work and the MacMini server I'ver been using has been really nice.

The big downside is how expensive RAM is from Apple, but looking at the photos they have user upgradable RAM, which is really cool.

Darryl Ramm 11-01-2018 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noah330 (Post 2504435)
I'm actually considering one of the new MacMini machines. I know they're expensive compared to something built but I know I can take it out of the box and have it work and the MacMini server I'ver been using has been really nice.

The big downside is how expensive RAM is from Apple, but looking at the photos they have user upgradable RAM, which is really cool.

RAM is the only thing you can upgrade, SSD and CPU are soldered to the motherboard.

AlexLakis 11-01-2018 06:54 PM

Just pulled the trigger, shipping says the 15th, gonna rock this with two Slate VRS-8s. I will report on stability, practical horsepower, and fan noise.