Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Third Party Interfaces (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Switching from HD Native to Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt - Input Monitoring Off (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=384733)

jacko 09-30-2016 11:55 AM

Switching from HD Native to Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt - Input Monitoring Off

I am thinking of switching from HD Native to Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt.

- both solutions can run Pro Tools HD software
- both have the same latency

So what's different?

Input Monitoring Off

With Pro Tools HDX and HD Native there is no way to switch the input monitoring entirely off. Pro Tools software offers that option only for 3rd party interfaces. That truly helps with monitoring overdubs and punch ins using either analog console or Ensemble's built in Maestro console.

Any downsides? At this point I don't see any.

YYR123 09-30-2016 12:36 PM

Re: Switching from HD Native to Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt - Input Monitoring Off

Well you have to navigate 2 different eco systems of software - that's all

Being that it is Apogee you would expect flawless execution of that software.......

My Focusrite was hit and miss in the early days of Saffire Mix...and actual that software was what drove me to Mac.....

jacko 09-30-2016 01:08 PM

Re: Switching from HD Native to Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt - Input Monitoring Off

Quote:

Originally Posted by YYR123 (Post 2385362)
Well you have to navigate 2 different eco systems of software - that's all

Being that it is Apogee you would expect flawless execution of that software.......

My Focusrite was hit and miss in the early days of Saffire Mix...and actual that software was what drove me to Mac.....

I currently have Focusrite Red4 Pre for a test and it is nowhere near as well integrated with Pro Tools HD as Ensemble. At the same time I'm supervising recording an album with two Ensemble Thunderbolt rigs and it is flawless.

jacko 10-02-2016 03:12 PM

Another advantage is multi client driver. I can have my Pro Tools running together with iTunes or other software running through the same DA converter.

Drew Mazurek 10-02-2016 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milaszewski (Post 2385345)
. Pro Tools software offers that option only for 3rd party interfaces. .

It does? Where is that setting/pref?

jacko 10-02-2016 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek (Post 2385991)
It does? Where is that setting/pref?

It's disguised under "Low Latency Monitoring" label.
With 3rd party interfaces it functions as "Input Monitoring Off".

Drew Mazurek 10-02-2016 03:26 PM

Ah makes sense. I've never run ProTools as a native DAW.

jacko 10-04-2016 02:20 PM

I am going forward with the change.
Today I sold my HD I/O.
Still have HDN+Omni for sale but I'm already ordering Ensemble Thunderbolt.

Barry Johns 10-11-2016 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milaszewski (Post 2386635)
I am going forward with the change.
Today I sold my HD I/O.
Still have HDN+Omni for sale but I'm already ordering Ensemble Thunderbolt.

What motivated you to make the change? What improvements are you expecting? Just curious.

jacko 10-11-2016 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry Johns (Post 2388276)
What motivated you to make the change? What improvements are you expecting? Just curious.

- more flexible monitoring options (input monitoring off)
- quieter
- no additional thunderbolt box
- more I/O in 1u rack unit
- reamping I/O