Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 12 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Can Pro Tools Do Automtion Curves? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=393668)

Glo123 09-12-2017 08:48 AM

Can Pro Tools Do Automtion Curves?

I'm having some trouble doing automation. For instance, I have an instrument playing from Kontakt and I want to automate the pitch wheel. However, I can't seem to get Pro Tools to draw curves (or even straight lines) between points. It just draws a bunch of little individual automaton points. I'm assuming there must be a way to draw in smooth automation curves?

ViTheVault 09-13-2017 01:28 AM

Re: Can Pro Tools Do Automtion Curves?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glo123 (Post 2449194)
I'm having some trouble doing automation. For instance, I have an instrument playing from Kontakt and I want to automate the pitch wheel. However, I can't seem to get Pro Tools to draw curves (or even straight lines) between points. It just draws a bunch of little individual automaton points. I'm assuming there must be a way to draw in smooth automation curves?

Right-click on pencil tool and choose the mode you want. Set your grid. Your grid will define how your curve will be...
And I'm sure you can find a you tube tutorial...
Good luck

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

Glo123 09-13-2017 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViTheVault (Post 2449285)
Right-click on pencil tool and choose the mode you want. Set your grid. Your grid will define how your curve will be...
And I'm sure you can find a you tube tutorial...
Good luck

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply. So, when I select the straight line on the pencil tool to automate the pitch of a virtual instrument, it still creates a stepped sequence instead of a perfectly straight line. Also, the parabolic drawing tool does not seem to make any shape at all.

Also, what exactly do you mean by setting the grid? Do you mean the note interval? I've got mine at 1/4 notes.

Sardi 09-13-2017 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glo123 (Post 2449318)
So, when I select the string line on the pencil tool to automate the pitch of a virtual instrument, it still creates a stepped sequence instead of a perfectly straight line. Also, the parabolic drawing tool does not seem to make any shape at all.

Yep. That's the way it works. :(

It's one of the things on the MIDI side that REALLY needs to be fixed in Pro Tools. I never see much concern about it round here though. Weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hanswurstlsepp 09-13-2017 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sardi (Post 2449353)

It's one of the things on the MIDI side that REALLY needs to be fixed in Pro Tools. I never see much concern about it round here though. Weird.

I concern - but I gave up to post again and again and again and again ...

lesbrunn 09-13-2017 12:07 PM

Quote:

Yes, one of those unbelievable things about Pro Tools.

Glo123 09-13-2017 01:20 PM

Quote:

Wow, I'm quite shocked that something considered an industry standard can't do this :/

I'm new to Pro Tools (as you can tell, haha), but I have never faced such a basic issue in any other DAW (Cubase, Live, etc.). Heck, I think I've even seen peoples' Fruity Loops sessions on YouTube that had such automation, haha. So weird that PT has not implemented this!

But anyways, is there a way to get the automation points to be "finer" in steps for when I try to automate things like a pitch wheel? As in, to reduce the spacing in in-between the automation points?

Thanks!

amagras 09-13-2017 03:24 PM

I don't know if this works but have anyone tried turning grid off?

KV626 09-13-2017 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glo123 (Post 2449399)
Wow, I'm quite shocked that something considered an industry standard can't do this :/

Well it's MIDI so you'll end up with steps anyway... You might not hear them but that doesn't mean they're not there.

What's important is what you actually hear. When I draw a (MIDI) line in Logic, I don't see steps, and I don't hear steps. When I draw a line in Pro Tools, I do see (sometimes tiny) steps, but I don't hear steps. Same result. Doesn't make any difference to me to be honest - in fact sometimes it's may even be a cool reminder that you're looking at MIDI information, not audio...

Marsdy 09-14-2017 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KV626 (Post 2449412)
Well it's MIDI so you'll end up with steps anyway... You might not hear them but that doesn't mean they're not there.

What's important is what you actually hear. When I draw a (MIDI) line in Logic, I don't see steps, and I don't hear steps. When I draw a line in Pro Tools, I do see (sometimes tiny) steps, but I don't hear steps. Same result. Doesn't make any difference to me to be honest - in fact sometimes it's may even be a cool reminder that you're looking at MIDI information, not audio...

Exactly. Cubase works the same way.

What I could really use is breakpoint based MIDI automation.