Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Anyone using external SSD to record audio (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=256422)

MASTERLINKSTUDIOS 10-08-2009 06:05 PM

Anyone using external SSD to record audio

Wondering because the prices are dropping and I see OWC with some with the right chipset.asking because I need a portable 7200 drive. Thanks in advance

MASTERLINKSTUDIOS 10-09-2009 08:10 AM

Re: Anyone using external SSD to record audio

Anyone????

JFreak 10-09-2009 09:16 AM

SSD's are fast boot drives, but they're lousy data drives, because there's an infinite amount of write/rewrite cycles that it can handle. This was not a problem with USB memory sticks because they are rather slow, but for a fast throughput drive it's a problem.

I for one would not want to buy a drive I had to replace every 6 months or so...

FajitaTone 10-09-2009 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 1475535)
SSD's are fast boot drives, but they're lousy data drives, because there's an infinite amount of write/rewrite cycles that it can handle. This was not a problem with USB memory sticks because they are rather slow, but for a fast throughput drive it's a problem.

I for one would not want to buy a drive I had to replace every 6 months or so...

Should be "FINITE"

:D

JFreak 10-09-2009 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FajitaTone (Post 1475553)
Should be "FINITE"

:D

Exactly. This just proves that my fingers are faster than my brain :D:D:D

MASTERLINKSTUDIOS 10-09-2009 12:05 PM

Thanks for the info. Never knew that ssd only could write or rewrite so many times. I'm gonna have to investigate. Thanks for any help everyone

Touchwood Studios 10-09-2009 12:29 PM

I use a 2X250 GB OCZ Vertex SSDs in RAID 0 for my system drive Mac Pro Boots in about 30 secs and Protools boots in under 45 secs It''s killa fast

zodo 10-09-2009 12:54 PM

Modern SSD drives have a MTBF (mean time between failures) as good as or better than most consumer hard drives.

They have a real advantage in seek times for small files (virtually nonexistent). Read performance is generally excellent. Write performance is the major downfall, however. When an SSD has to write to an area that previously contained data, it has to go through two operations. First, it has to erase that block, which is an expensive operation time-wise. Second, it has to do the actual write operation. In effect, when the drive is brand new, you'll see amazing read AND write performance...until you've written to every block on the drive once, then you have to begin erasing before writing, causing a sudden performance drop-off. That kind of variation makes an unpredictable media drive. Unless you like inexplicable -9073 errors, I would stay away for now.

This anantech writeup will give you more information about it than you'll ever wish to know. =)

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/sho...spx?i=3531&p=8

Frank Kruse 10-09-2009 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MASTERLINKSTUDIOS (Post 1475257)
Wondering because the prices are dropping and I see OWC with some with the right chipset.asking because I need a portable 7200 drive. Thanks in advance

What would be the benefit of connecting a super-fast SSD via a rather slow interface like FW800 or 400? Or are these housings eSATA you are talking about?

frank.

pgripp 10-09-2009 06:22 PM

So an SSD would make a great sample library drive, correct? Ignoring the price per/GB.