Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 11 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Physical RAM is running Low error (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=391341)

notedmusic 05-23-2017 08:42 PM

Physical RAM is running Low error

Hi all.

I'm getting a memory error, and yet I have a ton of free memory space on my system.

PT 11 HD OMNI (UPDATED)
MAC PRO 12 Core D700 32GB 1TB SSD
OSX 10.10.5
Removed all plugs except PT plugs and PLAY and KONTAKT

Optimized, trashed prefs, new user... etc. etc.

Buffer settings/Cache change does nothing.

notedmusic 05-23-2017 08:43 PM

Re: Physical RAM is running Low error

2 Attachment(s)
Here are some screenshots for it.

Goobs 05-24-2017 01:16 AM

What do you have your disk playback cache size set to?

reichman 05-24-2017 03:16 AM

Yup, PT 12.7.1 started complaining about available physical RAM in my Mac with 64GB RAM in it.

Just voted on your Ideascale: http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...hment-tab=true

Goobs 05-24-2017 05:20 AM

Out of curiosity, when you go into the Terminal, and do a "sudo pmset -g" command, what do the results say?

As a corollary to that, have you ever played around with these settings to troubleshoot?

panamajack 05-24-2017 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notedmusic (Post 2431978)
Here are some screenshots for it.

Create a "new user" with admin privileges and get rid of all that Adobe "helper" crap.

notedmusic 05-24-2017 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panamajack (Post 2432065)
Create a "new user" with admin privileges and get rid of all that Adobe "helper" crap.

Already created a new admin user (part of optimized list)

What do you mean by "get rid" of it? Disable it in startup? Is this a known conflict?

notedmusic 05-24-2017 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goobs (Post 2432020)
Out of curiosity, when you go into the Terminal, and do a "sudo pmset -g" command, what do the results say?

As a corollary to that, have you ever played around with these settings to troubleshoot?

Active Profiles:
AC Power -1*
Currently in use:
standby 1
Sleep On Power Button 1
womp 0
autorestart 0
hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage
darkwakes 0
gpuswitch 2
networkoversleep 0
disksleep 0
sleep 0 (sleep prevented by ucapp)
autopoweroffdelay 14400
hibernatemode 0
autopoweroff 1
ttyskeepawake 1
displaysleep 0
standbydelay 10800

What settings in particular? I've tried every combination of Disk Cache and Buffer and also turned off all power management, etc. I also tried different interfaces, fresh installs, reboots, SMC reset, etc. - still the same issues are present.

It shouldn't matter though, because physical RAM usage is very low... is there an OSX setting I missed? Or is this error a false readout?

notedmusic 05-24-2017 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goobs (Post 2431999)
What do you have your disk playback cache size set to?

I've tired a bunch of settings, nothing really changes anything, and my session is more heavy on instruments than audio, so disk cache is not really used that much. Usually have it at about 4GB but I've tried several lower and higher settings to no avail.

notedmusic 05-24-2017 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reichman (Post 2432012)
Yup, PT 12.7.1 started complaining about available physical RAM in my Mac with 64GB RAM in it.

Just voted on your Ideascale: http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...hment-tab=true

Thanks man,

I'm glad to know this is a problem in PT 12 as well. We need a fix for both versions, I shouldn't have to pay another $1000 for an HD upgrade for something that never worked when I bought it!
I've always had either "out of CPU" or "out of memory" errors and I've tried several trips to the apple store and every "usual" fix I can think of.

Interestingly enough, when I use non-HD interfaces, it seems to work a little bit better... however, there are still significant problems with larger sessions well below the maximum ram.

Do you have an active support? Can you reach out to AVID tech and see what is going on?
I was considering getting the non-hd upgrade to PT 12 *if* it would fix this problem, but apparently this is not a PT 11 specific problem. And if it was I'd be seriously upset that the thousands of dollars I've already paid haven't produced a working-as-advertised product. I initially thought it was a problem with the PLAY engine being incompatible, but now after many trial-and-error sessions and patchs I think the issue is with PRO TOOLS.

Any other ideas?
Anyone else with this problem should not pay for the upgrade, it will not fix your issue...