Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 12 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   export AAF...no automation? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=388461)

KV626 01-28-2017 07:30 AM

export AAF...no automation?

I was under the impression that AAFs included automation...well...when I create them in Logic or DP, volume automation shows up in Pro Tools, when I create them in Pro Tools (12.7), nothing... :confused: :rolleyes: Is this a known issue or maybe I'm missing something?

john1192 01-28-2017 09:18 AM

Re: export AAF...no automation?

Quote:

Originally Posted by KV626 (Post 2409767)
I was under the impression that AAFs included automation...well...when I create them in Logic or DP, volume automation shows up in Pro Tools, when I create them in Pro Tools (12.7), nothing... :confused: :rolleyes: Is this a known issue or maybe I'm missing something?

could it be on the DP or LOgic end, NOT reading the automation made in PT ?? i have logic here on a separate drive that i could test later ... have not had to do this for quite awhile ..

btw: and which version of Logic ??

Marco Bernardo 01-28-2017 10:26 AM

Did try to import that AAF again to PT to see if the automation is there?

KV626 01-28-2017 05:34 PM

What I meant was:

- when I create an AAF in Pro Tools and then import it in PT, the automation is not there all my faders are at 0.
- when I create an AAF in DP or Logic and then import it in PT, the automation is there.

...How come Pro Tools doesn't even read the automation from a file that was created in Pro Tools, whereas it sees/reads it when it comes from another DAW?

KV626 01-28-2017 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marco Bernardo (Post 2409788)
Did try to import that AAF again to PT to see if the automation is there?

Yup, it's not.

I didn't even try to import it in Logic or DP as I have to make sure it opens properly in Pro Tools. I'm exchanging files with other studios that need to import them in either Pro Tools or MC (or FCPX). If it were just Pro Tools I would give them PT sessions but MC or FCPX can't deal with native PT sessions, so I need to make AAFs... As a compromise I made stems so I didn't have to bother about automation but it's not a final mix, and stems are a waste of time at this point.

KV626 01-28-2017 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john1192 (Post 2409778)
btw: and which version of Logic ??

10.2.4 and 10.3. But as I said above, the issue is that Pro Tools doesn't seem to export any automation at all in the AAF, but it should, no?

smurfyou 01-28-2017 09:35 PM

Did you check "Enforce Avid Compatibility"? For OMF exports that disables volume automation. I don't recall if it's the same for AAF.

KV626 01-30-2017 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smurfyou (Post 2409856)
Did you check "Enforce Avid Compatibility"?

I think I tried both actually but now I have doubts :-). I'll check again and report back...

richists 06-08-2017 09:30 AM

Did someone find a solution? I'm having this issue as well. It's annoying as I have to send some AAF's to an editor. It just makes no sense for him without the automations.

john1192 06-08-2017 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richists (Post 2434218)
Did someone find a solution? I'm having this issue as well. It's annoying as I have to send some AAF's to an editor. It just makes no sense for him without the automations.

for going to another Pro Tools System using AAF or OMF - turn off Enforce Avid Compatibility - then the Volume auto is included .. i cannot find a way to add mute or pan info ..

for going to another DAW (i tested Cubase Pro 8) - i could only get Clip Gain to translate over via OMF - Clip Gain was changed to Volume Automation in Cubase (you have an option for this) .. otherwise i could get NO Automation to pass from PT to anything else ..