Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 10 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Dramatic pitch rise effect - how to?? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=335985)

phillyt2k 03-19-2013 05:48 AM

Dramatic pitch rise effect - how to??

Ok, so I'm trying to create a similar effect to this in a track I'm working on. The particular effect in question is between approximately 1:40 and 1:54. Just a (should be) basic pitch bending of a looped vocal.

Now I have my singer and have chopped up his vocal and looped/repeated it a ridiculous amount of times so it lasts "forever" so I have plenty of vocal to play with.

I had this problem last year in Logic trying to create the same effect and ended up creating it in FL studio and exporting the wav into Logic.

There must be an easy way to do this. It was simple in FL Studio.

I need to pitch it up (i think) by like 2400 cents, in Logic using various methods I could only get it to 1200. Is there any way to do this natively in PT or do I need 3rd party software?

Cheers to anyone who can help :)

Becharax 03-19-2013 06:25 AM

Re: Dramatic pitch rise effect - how to??

Automate the pitch plugin in pro tools

phillyt2k 03-19-2013 08:04 AM

Thats the way i've tried it but it doesnt sound right, has a strange sort of artefact to it. Plus after the rise I need it to drop down to nothing like practically top, doing it with this makes the vocal just go back to the original pitch.

Does that make sense?

crizdee 03-19-2013 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phillyt2k (Post 2016900)
Thats the way i've tried it but it doesnt sound right, has a strange sort of artefact to it. Plus after the rise I need it to drop down to nothing like practically top, doing it with this makes the vocal just go back to the original pitch.

Does that make sense?

Hi,

Try Vari-Fi audiosuite

Chris

soybalm 03-19-2013 10:55 AM

Waves graphic soundshifter. Put the link mode on unlink. leave the left line as is and raise up the right line. It defaults to maximum which is an octave so just process twice if you need to. If you need the tempo to speed up then link tempo and pitch.

This is all done in the audiosuite. make sure you lower the render head and tail time from 2.0 to something like 0.1 instead or load the wave form in the plug in and plot your points by double clicking on the line.

I want to add that you can make your looped note a consolidated file;select then press, shift alt 3 on a pc. This will be the way to process it and you can export that consolidated file in to an audio editor program which should have no problem handling this.

joachim 03-19-2013 11:25 AM

Maybe this will work (tested with a small speech sample) :
instrument track with structure free sampler
midi track routed to instrument track
the chopped vocal part to be repeated and to be pitched-up -> put in the structure free as a sample
midi track with notes for each repetition
midi track pitch bend in track view, draw line upwards to the end of the repetitions as desired

And I believe, that Vari-fy does only work from original pitch to zero or from zero to original pitch (not original to 400%).

Becharax 03-20-2013 05:45 AM

joachim method is very similar to the one you use in FL Studio I guess since Structure is a sampler in which you load the wav file and tweak the midi note which is basically playing the sample ... just like FL ...

phillyt2k 04-28-2013 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soybalm (Post 2016953)
Waves graphic soundshifter.

So I'd have to buy an additional piece of kit to do it? :confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by joachim (Post 2016965)
Maybe this will work (tested with a small speech sample) :
instrument track with structure free sampler
midi track routed to instrument track
the chopped vocal part to be repeated and to be pitched-up -> put in the structure free as a sample
midi track with notes for each repetition
midi track pitch bend in track view, draw line upwards to the end of the repetitions as desired

And I believe, that Vari-fy does only work from original pitch to zero or from zero to original pitch (not original to 400%).

Just tried that, it doesnt give me the amount of range I want tho, it's still not high enough, even at the top (8191). Your right about vari-fi also

joachim 04-28-2013 07:41 AM

Maybe : all those repetitions could be audiosuited with Pitch Shift individually.
If more than 2 octaves are necessary, Pitch Shift may be applied again to a clip that has been already shifted by 2 octaves.

phillyt2k 04-28-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joachim (Post 2035210)
Maybe : all those repetitions could be audiosuited with Pitch Shift individually.
If more than 2 octaves are necessary, Pitch Shift may be applied again to a clip that has been already shifted by 2 octaves.

yeh i thought about doing it that way, just seems a long way to go around it. Might as well just do it in FL then bounce it out as a wav.

you seem to be very knowledgable in pitch shifting, can you shed any light on this